• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I know it gets old, but my comparison is to a Tesla Model 3 - when you get on that it is like a missile on a rail - no roll, no pull, no torque pull to a side, just massive power straight down the road like it was on rails, all power moving the car forward.
understanding the point of course, Iā€™d still remind that weā€™re here talking about a pickup truck, that needs to haul, take payload, and be serviceable ā€œoff road.ā€ Those are the four qualities Ford was selling.

If people arenā€™t buying those four things, they can buy a Model 3 (or two).
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
understanding the point of course, Iā€™d still remind that weā€™re here talking about a pickup truck, that needs to haul, take payload, and be serviceable ā€œoff road.ā€ Those are the four qualities Ford was selling.

If people arenā€™t buying those four things, they can buy a Model 3 (or two).
I do truly get it and I'm OK with it to some degree, however, I'm not sure the response of the roll and craziness that happens when you put your foot in it. I get a feeling that it is from not putting equal power to all wheels or other issue. This may be the perfect answer for a truck that needs to pull, but it doesn't feel right for sure.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
first test drive from the lot, entering the highway on-ramp, I punched it and had to quickly get my second hand up to the steering wheel.

I wish they had done a better job on the powertrain tuning. There shouldn't be torque steer in a 4wd vehicle. Hell, they could've paid Porsche $50k to borrow an engineer for one day and he would have had it sorted out.

Reactions: GDN

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Whatā€™s wild is, in this EV just about anybody can get that timing. Managing traction is a non-issue, managing gear progression a non-issue, etc. Just press the pedal hard and fast.

My question is: why is there no launch mode/se Quebec on the Lightning? The hummer ev compared in the article has a launch mode helping its 3.0 0-60, and the also compared Rivian with 3.1 second I believe also has a launch mode.

if Ford included/pushed out a launch sequence, could it cut the 3.8 seconds to nearer the Rivian/Hummer?

A few outlets have tested 30-50mph and 50-70mph acceleration and the Lightning is in a dead heat with the Rivian. Motortrend tested a Platinum and they found the that Lightning was 0.1s faster than the Rivian from 30-50 and 0.1s slower from 50-70. So, literally dead even from 30-70. A Lariat or a XLT/Pro might edge even out the Rivian.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
A few outlets have tested 30-50mph and 50-70mph acceleration and the Lightning is in a dead heat with the Rivian. Motortrend tested a Platinum and they found the that Lightning was 0.1s faster than the Rivian from 30-50 and 0.1s slower from 50-70. So, literally dead even from 30-70. A Lariat or a XLT/Pro might edge even out the Rivian.
This re-raises the question I canā€™t find anyone answering: are the differences in 0-60 merely the difference between the Rivian having a launch sequence while the F150L has no launch sequence?

@Ford Motor Company any plans to release a launch sequence for the F150L, so that it may settle the score with Rivian and HummerEV afterall?

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
This re-raises the question I canā€™t find anyone answering: are the differences in 0-60 merely the difference between the Rivian having a launch sequence while the F150L has no launch sequence?

@Ford Motor Company any plans to release a launch sequence for the F150L, so that it may settle the score with Rivian and HummerEV afterall?
I doubt it's only the launch sequence. The Rivian has far more power. Either way it seems Ford could improve the launch with some software tuning.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I doubt it's only the launch sequence. The Rivian has far more power. Either way it seems Ford could improve the launch with some software tuning.
obviousiy the power difference establishes an assumption. But on the other hand, the 30-50 and 50-70 times noted above suggest the Rivianā€™s power may not be converting at the wheel as well as the Lightning in at least parts of the range. Whatā€™s left if the 0-30 question.

Add to that 0-30 observation the other three topics being also discussed in this thread: (1) the Lightningā€™s poor handling/behavior in traction at launch, (2) the lack of a launch sequence in the Lightning vs the Rivian, and (3) that the Lariat has now been clocked at 3.8 in 0-60, it all begs the question:

How much of the 0.7 second difference at 0-30mph could be made up by the Lightning with some handling improvements and launch plus a launch sequence?

Regardless of the power difference, the question remains just how much slower, if at all, might the F150L really be from 0-30mph if the launch handling/sequence deficiencies were addressed?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I mean, it's a fair question. I'm sure it could close the gap a bit but at the same time it's really not that important. In real world driving it's effectively as fast as the Rivian, in a strait line, at least.

ninjaybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
There is some tuning needed somewhere along the way. When you get on it hard, it is just a little bit squirrelly. It is hard to describe exactly, but when you get behind the wheel and put your foot in it you'll know.
Torque steer it is called.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
There is some tuning needed somewhere along the way. When you get on it hard, it is just a little bit squirrelly. It is hard to describe exactly, but when you get behind the wheel and put your foot in it you'll know.
With the High Volume the Lightning is eventually going to hit, the cost of Software Engineering and testing for a company to come out with a Tune will look like a slam dunk business decision.

***FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY**** ;)

Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
With the High Volume the Lightning is eventually going to hit, the cost of Software Engineering and testing for a company to come out with a Tune will look like a slam dunk business decision.

Over the air software update!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Yeah - you would have thought Ford might have seemed the same investment might have been worthy.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual

Shouldnā€™t have to be off road use only, there arenā€™t any direct tailpipe emissions to worry about. I wonder if there are any govā€™t regulations about modifying EVā€™s in such a way that they use more electricity?

kenyonsalo30

First Name
Kenyon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Explorer Plati , 2020 E63 AMG, 2021 GLE AMG
Occupation
Real Estate
As a fleet manager myself, this is a valid concern. Our guys go hammer down from every stop sign in their current 1500ā€™s.
if you didnt hammer down from the red light in a 1500 the grandmas would blow by you in their mini vans

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Yeah - you would have thought Ford might have seemed the same investment might have been worthy.
I know right? I think they'd sell much better, oh wait, nevermind they're sold out for two years.;)
Sponsored