• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
After 1,500 miles over the weekend - all with 1PD on - I have found that I love it. It brakes sufficiently hard to accommodate most braking situations and I end up using the brake pedal only occasionally. In fact, on the highway it is nice that it is faster to decelerate than jumping to the brake pedal if you end up approaching some marked state cars at speed. My only complaint is the jolt you get if you need to scratch your right leg/foot. I quite like the control provided by the single pedal.
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I know not all models have it and I'm not looking down, but when in heavy traffic depending on where you are have you tried the adaptive cruise for stopping and starting? It is very good at what it does in the two times I've used it.
I found adaptive cruise to be far too lazy in stop and go traffic. Even with following distance set to minimum, it is slow to take off, it leaves a huge gap between you and the next car, and it is abrupt to stop when traffic slows to a stop ahead.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I’m new to EVs but I’ve been driving f150s since a teenager . We rented teslas during vacations recently to get used to one pedal mode. I personally love it and I only have an issue when I jump into one of my super duty work trucks and have to forget my newly learned muscle memory .

So I’m wondering , what mode are you driving in and why ?
I NEVER use one pedal driving because I like to rest my legs as often as I can and use adaptive cruise control and zero pedal driving as much as I can to relieve the stress on my knee.

I also don't like the feeling that the truck will suddenly stop when I release too much pressure too quickly.

I realize one pedal driving gives you the maximum regeneration, but I tend to get 100% from the Brake Coach most of the time, so I never feel like I'm wasting energy.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
In my Focus Electric I only drive in L which is the like half the regen of the Lightning 1 pedal drive. It will not bring you to a complete stop and I keep wanting a higher level of regen/deceleration.

Teslas have the adjustable regen and we keep our regen setting on the highest level in the Model 3 for 1 pedal drive.

When I test drove the Lightning the salesman was driving at first and said I thought there would be more regen brakes. I turned on one pedal drive and he was shocked by the difference. When I drove the Lightning I kept 1PD and turned on auto hold and didn't look back its all the regen I have been wanting in my Focus but in a much larger/heavier vehicle much easier to manage stop and go traffic.

Saul Goodman

First Name
Saul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Formerly Mach-E FE, 2022 F150L Lariat in transit
Adaptive cruise and 1PD for life. Not because of efficiency, but because it is a far superior driving experience. Practice, learn your distances, strengthen that shin muscle, and you’ll never go back.

FWIW in the Mach-E I use adaptive cruise nearly any time I’m not in a parking lot or my neighborhood 25mph streets. One I turn on to the Main Street at 35mph it’s all adaptive cruise for the most part.

Switching over to a ICE rental feels so sketchy between the brakes and lack of instant power.

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I’m new to EVs but I’ve been driving f150s since a teenager . We rented teslas during vacations recently to get used to one pedal mode. I personally love it and I only have an issue when I jump into one of my super duty work trucks and have to forget my newly learned muscle memory .

So I’m wondering , what mode are you driving in and why ?
This is why I won’t use one pedal mode. I don’t want to drive into something in one of my other 4 vehicles or something in the work fleet because I’m used to one pedal.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
My wife and I are both one pedal drivers. City and Highway. Thought it would be hard to go back and forth between ICE, but no issues.

Reactions: GDN

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I understand that putting it into Sport mode provides light regen without activating the brakes. Does anyone drive in this mode all the time and like it? Wife currently drives a Tesla and I drive the Pacifica hybrid. I dislike the regen on the Tesla but like driving in the lower gear offered in the Pacifica. It provides light regen but not enough to activate the brakes. I'd hate to drive the Lightning and have people thinking I'm brake checking them when I merge lanes and slow down a tad as to not hit the car in front. I can see action activating the brake lights a lot and inadvertently angering drivers behind me.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I understand that putting it into Sport mode provides light regen without activating the brakes. Does anyone drive in this mode all the time and like it? Wife currently drives a Tesla and I drive the Pacifica hybrid. I dislike the regen on the Tesla but like driving in the lower gear offered in the Pacifica. It provides light regen but not enough to activate the brakes. I'd hate to drive the Lightning and have people thinking I'm brake checking them when I merge lanes and slow down a tad as to not hit the car in front. I can see action activating the brake lights a lot and inadvertently angering drivers behind me.
Yes, I prefer Sport mode rather than 1PD for my distance drives.
Sport mode offers a moderate regen which I prefer.

Urban driving, I still prefer normal mode.

Since I also drive other vehicles that do not have any regen - driving a heavy regen (1PD) is counter intuitive for me, it's a muscle memory issue for me.

Sport mode is awesome for the Lightning - just wish it can stay on everytime I switch her on.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I drive one pedal in normal mode. I was using sport mode, but it's annoying to change it each time I start driving, so now I just stick to normal.

When I get into a rental car I always need to make sure don't kill myself in the first few miles, remembering how to use a break and a vehicle with hold when stopped.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
I drive one pedal in normal mode. I was using sport mode, but it's annoying to change it each time I start driving, so now I just stick to normal.

When I get into a rental car I always need to make sure don't kill myself in the first few miles, remembering how to use a break and a vehicle with hold when stopped.
There's no way to keep it in sport mode?

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
There's no way to keep it in sport mode?
When I turn the vehicle on, it says "you were in sport mode last time, keep in sport mode?" But it also seems like that doesn't pop up each time and it's random. It's not noticably different enough for me to change every time I get in the truck, so I just decided to use normal now.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
My problem with 1PD is that it hurts my knees to keep pressure on the pedal all the time.

I use Adaptive Cruise most of the time, especially on local streets because I rarely need to touch either pedal and it knows when to slow down when it recognizes a speed sign.

That's important near me because the speed limit changes to 25 MPH whenever you're in a school zone, and the traffic cameras are everywhere. You get a ticket when you reach about 35. Adaptive Cruise has probably saved me a bunch of tickets because there are so many school zones in NYC and I never know when I'm entering one.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I never realized how much I use adaptive cruise control until I didn't have it. I won't buy a vehicle without the feature again!

Lightning is assumed to be a personal gap vehicle, for a few years between birth of EV trucks and having more options. It's shown me what can be amazing about the evolution to EV truck, as well as some things I didn't realize were so important to me.
Sponsored