• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I just got this in the ford app. I think it was a good move from Ford to provide these guidelines: Especially considering new EV owners.

—————-

While your Ford F-150 Lightning was tested in extremely cold conditions, we wanted to give you a few tips to maximize your range as winter sets in:

1. Park in a garage whenever possible

2. Keep your EV plugged in whenever possible

3. Precondition your vehicle by scheduling departure times to warm the cabin and the battery while plugged in, using the FordPass* App or SYNC® 4 Technology**

4. Use the heated seats and steering wheel as primary heat to reduce energy consumed by heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)

5. When charging, turn off the heater — especially when you use Direct Current Fast Charging (DCFC)

6. Make sure your tires are at the proper pressure

7. If snow-covered, brush all the snow off your vehicle before driving to eliminate extra weight and drag

8. Keep driving speeds moderate as high speeds use more energy

We also suggest you manually reset your EV driving history. Intelligent Range will then begin to adjust to reflect winter conditions and your driving habits. Keep in mind that initial remaining range may drop more quickly than actual miles driven as the newly learned driving conditions are factored in.

To reset driver history, click on the vehicle icon in the top left corner of the center touchscreen -> Select Settings -> Select Vehicle -> Select EV Driving History Reset
Sponsored

Last edited:

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
Always good advice. @Ford Motor Company needs to fix the glitch that when departure conditioning, the heated steering doesn’t work, and will not work for the duration of the trip.

hiimisaac

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat (510A)
Occupation
Software Engineer
The recommended use of heated steering wheel is all well and good, except for those of us with 2023 trucks that were not able to get heated steering wheels due to the chip shortage...
Will they offer it later as something you can get done at the dealer?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Always good advice. @Ford Motor Company needs to fix the glitch that when departure conditioning, the heated steering doesn’t work, and will not work for the duration of the trip.
Remote start the truck while plugged in. It will heat the cabin and draw power from your EVSE to keep you battery charged. It must also help the battery warm up because my range increased from the time I remote started to the time I left. And my heated wheel worked after I unplugged.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cold Weather EV Tips From Ford -- "Your EV Deserves a Little TLC"  — Best charging / range / battery practices advice Screenshot_20221120-130408_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning Cold Weather EV Tips From Ford -- "Your EV Deserves a Little TLC"  — Best charging / range / battery practices advice Screenshot_20221120-131539_FordPass

This is the screenshot of when I remote started while plugged in. What's interesting is it never gave me a time limit saying how long it would run, and the "extend" button didn't give the "+15" limit. I never tested how long it would run, but I'm guessing more that the standard 15 minutes.

I tried it twice. Once with my FCSP set at 32 amps and 80 amps. Both kept the battery fully charged to my 90% limit.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cold Weather EV Tips From Ford -- "Your EV Deserves a Little TLC"  — Best charging / range / battery practices advice Screenshot_20221120-134236_Emporia Energy
Ford F-150 Lightning Cold Weather EV Tips From Ford -- "Your EV Deserves a Little TLC"  — Best charging / range / battery practices advice Screenshot_20221120-134219_Emporia Energy

What was interesting is on the 32A limit, it pulled the full 32A until I unplugged. On the 80A limit, it pulled the full 80A to a point, then bounced at a lower setting. I can only screenshot so much data, but you can get the idea from what's displayed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cold Weather EV Tips From Ford -- "Your EV Deserves a Little TLC"  — Best charging / range / battery practices advice Screenshot_20221120-134456_Emporia Energy

Sponsored

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Will they offer it later as something you can get done at the dealer?
Supposedly, Ford will issue a Field Service Action at some point to address it. Who knows when though...

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Does Ford have any tips on how to operate a screen with no buttons and a pair of gloves? I'm glad my children aren't in the truck with me as the f-bombs fly as I try to get the bed camera on to keep track of my bike (tonneau is folded blocking the back window). I would have much preferred the pro/xlt screen, but wanted leather, heated/cooled seats/heated wheel. I'm not interested in talking to my car to get it to do what I want, but if that is the only way, then EVERYTHING should be voice controllable (every menu should voice navigable).

xycarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Sasquatch, Lighting Lariat ER on order
I live in a cold climate and will not be plugging in each night, or parking in a garage. How do I get rid of that recurring annoying “suggestion” message when I turn off the truck each time?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I live in a cold climate and will not be plugging in each night, or parking in a garage. How do I get rid of that recurring annoying “suggestion” message when I turn off the truck each time?
I don't know, but a agree with your question. If I am charged to 10 percent higher than my target charge level at a given location, please don't ask me to plug in. If I am parked at work with bi charging, please don't ask me to plug in. There is a free level 2 charger about 2km from work (25 to 30 minute walk) and I can get 35 to 38 percent while at work. I typically drive between 35 and 60 percent per week, so no need to charge every night at home (even though I can charge in my garage).

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I am in Buffalo, NY and have had historically bad snow. I'll say that the truck has performed beyond my expectations, so that's good!

...what isn't good is sending me a message to use my heated seats, when I own a $57k (optioned) XLT that doesn't include them, likely one of the only vehicles (and certainly EV?) in this price range without them. Ford needs to do better personalizing messages, rather than reminding me of my truck's shortcomings.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Does Ford have any tips on how to operate a screen with no buttons and a pair of gloves? I'm glad my children aren't in the truck with me as the f-bombs fly as I try to get the bed camera on to keep track of my bike (tonneau is folded blocking the back window). I would have much preferred the pro/xlt screen, but wanted leather, heated/cooled seats/heated wheel. I'm not interested in talking to my car to get it to do what I want, but if that is the only way, then EVERYTHING should be voice controllable (every menu should voice navigable).
Oh, like me you didn’t select the Ford Touchscreen Glove Option when you ordered your truck 🙃!

Try something like these….https://www.amazon.com/Handlandy-Improved-Dexterity-Breathable-Stretchable/dp/B0797N2YW1/ref=sr_1_6?crid=22MDB6A6YMC9U&keywords=touchscreen+work+gloves&qid=1668988342&s=hi&sprefix=Touchscre%2Ctools%2C335&sr=1-6

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru wrx sti, Subaru wrx, Daihatsu Miro, Ranger
Remote start the truck while plugged in. It will heat the cabin and draw power from your EVSE to keep you battery charged. It must also help the battery warm up because my range increased from the time I remote started to the time I left. And my heated wheel worked after I unplugged.

Screenshot_20221120-130408_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20221120-131539_FordPass.jpg

This is the screenshot of when I remote started while plugged in. What's interesting is it never gave me a time limit saying how long it would run, and the "extend" button didn't give the "+15" limit. I never tested how long it would run, but I'm guessing more that the standard 15 minutes.

I tried it twice. Once with my FCSP set at 32 amps and 80 amps. Both kept the battery fully charged to my 90% limit.

Screenshot_20221120-134236_Emporia Energy.jpg
Screenshot_20221120-134219_Emporia Energy.jpg

What was interesting is on the 32A limit, it pulled the full 32A until I unplugged. On the 80A limit, it pulled the full 80A to a point, then bounced at a lower setting. I can only screenshot so much data, but you can get the idea from what's displayed.

Screenshot_20221120-134456_Emporia Energy.jpg
197 miles range projected a 90%? I assume this is a standard range ? What is your temperature in your location? Is your heat turned on? I am getting 150-160 miles range projected at 90% charge. =(

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
That's the main reason I went with the XLT and the 312A upgrade. I had the 15" screen in my Mach-E but I love physical buttons and dials.

Meanwhile, it costs quite a bit more to manufacture and install those physical buttons and dials, yet it's in the lower cost trims.

I think all trims have heated seats, but the 312A upgrade definitely upgrades the passenger seat for full power adjustments and it definitely has a heated steering wheel.

Heated seats and steering wheel are SO helpful for saving power, so they should be standard on all EVs. From what I know, they were originally designed for ICE vehicles, so they were designed to run with just the 12V power.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You went from 197 miles to 199 miles, an increase of 1%. You can't tie that conclusion to battery temps, unless you measure the battery temps.

Another possible reason:

- Battery dropped to less than 90% (may still display 90%), so charger gave it some more and drove it to just above 90% (but still displaying 90%). An 89.46% 131kWh battery is 117.2kWh. A 90.44% battery is 118.5kWh, a difference of 1.3kW. If you are getting a range of 200 miles at 90%, that's 1.7 miles per kWh. Pretty close to 1.3.
Sponsored