• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just bought one. It opens up all kinds of possibilities. You can get around ICEd charging stations and tight parking spots for charging especially if you are towing and those unsuspecting relatives can no longer say sorry my dryer plug is too far
Most dryer circuits are 30amps, and since you can't reduce the amperage of the Ford Mobile Charger, it can't be used on that circuit - you need a 24amp max EVSE.
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Last night I got a ticket for parking "Head in to Back-in Only" while charging at a NYC DOT EV designated charging space.

Cars parked on that street are normally required to back in, but the charging cables are super short so the only way for me to charge there is to pull in, which is what other (non-Tesla) EVs that were parked there were doing.

I can only assume two things:

Either the fine folks at the NYC Traffic Police don't understand that most non-Teslas can only be charged from the front.

Or

They saw a full sized truck in the EV space and assumed it was ICE.

If this were the case, they should've ticketed me for illegally using an EV space, so this means they are essentially going to give tickets to anyone with a charger in the front of the vehicle.

Clearly, I'm going to fight this.

1674731588526.jpeg
Since NY State requires front and back license plates -- and since "head in parking" is intended for states which do not have a front license plate -- WHY does this even exist in NY? Crazy.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Since NY State requires front and back license plates -- and since "head in parking" is intended for states which do not have a front license plate -- WHY does this even exist in NY? Crazy.
Presumably it's for safety, so you can see oncoming traffic as you drive out of your space.

This particular parking area is a bit odd to figure out. The street is super wide, but generally only one lane is for driving. The remaining space is needed for people to back up in the first place.

Oddly enough although this is part of New York City, believe it or not you're just as likely to back up into a flock of turkeys who wander that area. Yes. I said turkeys. Big Thanksgiving sized turkeys actually wander around in that area. They move slowly and often peck at your wheels as you try to pass them.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Oddly enough although this is part of New York City, believe it or not you're just as likely to back up into a flock of turkeys who wander that area. Yes. I said turkeys. Big Thanksgiving sized turkeys actually wander around in that area. They move slowly and often peck at your wheels as you try to pass them.
Yes. This is New York City.

Ford F-150 Lightning I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in. 1675103692942

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Maybe they'd like to visit Canada again without possible border hassles.
At which point you're highly likely to have a different car with a different tag. Also, has anyone actually heard of such "hassles"?

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Most dryer circuits are 30amps, and since you can't reduce the amperage of the Ford Mobile Charger, it can't be used on that circuit - you need a 24amp max EVSE.
That is true. I should have mentioned that I don't use Ford Mobile charger for that. In fact I tested the whole setup visiting a friend for 3 hours yesterday and it worked fine.

This was used to Plug in the charger 14-50P into dryer 14-13R
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XNX8KQ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This allowed my charger to remain inside:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0821HJMJB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I set this at 24 Amp:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XBMJ2V1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Assume they'll enforce it since the law is due to safety (and not ease as someone else posted). If it was dark and rainy that's even more reason to not back out onto a street so that factor would tend to work against your argument. The picture someone else posted indicates the charger could be used with your parking within the rules so that's less than helpful, too. The reviewers will also know that the cable could have been crossed over your vehicle--not unlike fueling at gas stations.

So unfortunately your situation is almost certainly going to be deemed a convenience issue and not one where you were required to break the parking laws (the usual threshold they'd want to see before dismissing the ticket).
Baloney. In Floridaā€™s paid parking lots it is illegal to back-in park because there are no front plates in Florida and the license plates are used to verify parking payment using the park pass app. No one gets crushed or run over. You get ticketed in Florida for back-in parking - every time.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Baloney. In Floridaā€™s paid parking lots it is illegal to back-in park because there are no front plates in Florida and the license plates are used to verify parking payment using the park pass app. No one gets crushed or run over. You get ticketed in Florida for back-in parking - every time.
Unfortunately, your opinion, as wrong as it is, as to why the law exists is irrelevant to its enforcement.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
As it turns out, I got more than a couple of parking tickets when I made that hospital visit. 3 days later, the patient tested positive for covid, 5 days after that, so did I.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I am sorry you were offended but there was no opinion in my statement - the fact is that back in parking is illegal in all of Floridaā€™s paid parking, contradicting your assertion that back-in law requirements exist because head-in practice is unsafe. It simply is not, as proven every day in Florida, where you will be ticketed for back-in parking. I do not happen to like the law, find back-in easier to execute and prefer to pull out, but it is the way things work there and statistically speaking, no one is getting crushed despite a decidedly older population. Yes enforcement is a separate issue, but both are topics in this thread.

Backup cameras have now been required on all passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. for the past five years, so are installed on over half of all vehicles on the road, severely curtailing the incidence of backing over children or objects.

Unfortunately, your opinion, as wrong as it is, as to why the law exists is irrelevant to its enforcement.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am sorry you were offended but there was no opinion in my statement - the fact is that back in parking is illegal in all of Floridaā€™s paid parking, contradicting your assertion that back-in law requirements exist because head-in practice is unsafe. It simply is not, as proven every day in Florida, where you will be ticketed for back-in parking. I do not happen to like the law, find back-in easier to execute and prefer to pull out, but it is the way things work there and statistically speaking, no one is getting crushed despite a decidedly older population. Yes enforcement is a separate issue, but both are topics in this thread.

Backup cameras have now been required on all passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. for the past five years, so are installed on over half of all vehicles on the road, severely curtailing the incidence of backing over children or objects.
None of what you're saying makes any sense nor is it even relevant to the conversation.

Let's assume for the sake of a thought exercise that you're correct and that parking regulations are purely based on municipal revenue. Even if that was true, that would *still* result in the city enforcing the ticket...because they want the money. So your nitpick over this doesn't even contradict my point, which was that the city was going to enforce it (I said because they will see it as a safety issue, whereas you claim that's not true and they only do it because they want the revenue--either way they are going to enforce it so the reasoning for why is moot).

Regardless, Florida requiring drivers to nose in does *not* contradict my assertion that back-in parking is statistically more safe. The two are unrelated, not causal, and don't tell us anything other than Florida doesn't care about those safety data. Those safety data exist for anyone to research for themselves if they want to continue disputing the veracity of those statistics--it's not my opinion, it's not *anyone's* opinion for that matter, and therefore I am not "wrong" to refer to those data.

You have no idea how many people are or are not in collisions in Florida because of nose-in parking so you have no basis to claim that "no one is being crushed" because of it. Back-up cameras, while useful, have minimal utility in the context of someone backing into a travel lane. Yes, they have reduced "backing over" people or objects but they are no substitute for someone actively scanning the road as they are pulling out of a parking stall and the statistical data bear this out.

Additionally, the ticket under discussion was issued in NYC begging the question why you're red herring the conversation with Florida's metered parking.

Lastly, I wasn't offended; you are contributing incorrect and irrelevant information the discussion. Perhaps you would have preferred a softer rebuttal but I don't feel the need to accommodate that especially when you labeled my factually correct contribution as "baloney."

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
None of what you're saying makes any sense nor is it even relevant to the conversation.

Let's assume for the sake of a thought exercise that you're correct and that parking regulations are purely based on municipal revenue. Even if that was true, that would *still* result in the city enforcing the ticket...because they want the money. So your nitpick over this doesn't even contradict my point, which was that the city was going to enforce it (I said because they will see it as a safety issue, whereas you claim that's not true and they only do it because they want the revenue--either way they are going to enforce it so the reasoning for why is moot).

Regardless, Florida requiring drivers to nose in does *not* contradict my assertion that back-in parking is statistically more safe. The two are unrelated, not causal, and don't tell us anything other than Florida doesn't care about those safety data. Those safety data exist for anyone to research for themselves if they want to continue disputing the veracity of those statistics--it's not my opinion, it's not *anyone's* opinion for that matter, and therefore I am not "wrong" to refer to those data.

You have no idea how many people are or are not in collisions in Florida because of nose-in parking so you have no basis to claim that "no one is being crushed" because of it. Back-up cameras, while useful, have minimal utility in the context of someone backing into a travel lane. Yes, they have reduced "backing over" people or objects but they are no substitute for someone actively scanning the road as they are pulling out of a parking stall and the statistical data bear this out.

Additionally, the ticket under discussion was issued in NYC begging the question why you're red herring the conversation with Florida's metered parking.

Lastly, I wasn't offended; you are contributing incorrect and irrelevant information the discussion. Perhaps you would have preferred a softer rebuttal but I don't feel the need to accommodate that especially when you labeled my factually correct contribution as "baloney."
Wow. Just wow. I never once referenced municipal revenue. Yes , the studies have been done to demonstrate that head in is no more dangerous or less efficacious than back-in. There is a lot of mythology out there about back-in being safer because thereā€™s a certain logic to it. I prefer backing in, find it easier, especially with long vehicles like pickups. Florida municipalities did those studies when implementing the head-in rules and found no statistical difference. Head in generally requires an extra hitch to get properly centered, so I find it a pain. But it isnā€™t wrong , isnā€™t about revenue, is about identifying vehicles in one-plate states and at organizations, universities and companies with id stickers. My add in here isnā€™t a red herring, it is refutation of your safety assertions regarding head in vs backing. If Floridaā€™s elderly can handle it, it can be done everywhere. But I guess youā€™re the thread police here, must control and win the internet, so have at it. You win, park as you wish.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow. Just wow. I never once referenced municipal revenue.
In Floridaā€™s paid parking lots it is illegal to back-in park because there are no front plates in Florida and the license plates are used to verify parking payment using the park pass app.
(emphasis added)
How is verifying parking payment, and ticketing for violations, not about revenue?

Yes , the studies have been done to demonstrate that head in is no more dangerous or less efficacious than back-in.
Cite three peer-reviewed journal articles supporting this claim. In fact, cite one and I'll review the references for the others. You claim they've been done so presumably you've read them unless you're fabricating support for your position.

Here are several sources contradicting your position:

While this first peer-reviewed journal article is about "build[ing] a mathematical model to simulate the parking directions in the parking lot and discuss[ing] the relation between parking direction and arrival time and service time," it makes the following claim and supports it with three external sources:
Reverse parking is considered a safer way to forward parking.
(emphasis added)
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1909.12941.pdf

This peer-reviewed journal article is a fourth source:
The analysis from this study implies that the pull-in/back-out parking maneuver is more likely to result in a collision and therefore, is associated with a higher crash risk. Further analysis of North Carolinaā€™s parking related fatal and serious injury crashes found that vehicles backing out of parking spaces was overwhelmingly the main cause for these serious injuries. 90% of North Carolinaā€™s parking related fatal and serious injuries occurred during a back-out maneuver. Overall, this study concludes that the back-in/pull-out parking maneuver is safer than the pull-in/back-out maneuver and is the recommended approach to 90Ā° parking.
(emphasis added)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1369847819308812?via=ihub

This peer-reviewed journal is a fifth source:
To some people, back-in parking maneuver is a relatively hard thing to do. However, previous studies have proven that back-in parking is safer than head-in parking because when exiting the parking space (back-out) from head-in parking, the driver's field of view is more limited, thus increasing the chance of an accident. This study aims to determine the changes in the driver's viewing frequency on the rear-view mirror, maneuver duration, and degree of difficulty during back-in parking maneuvers.
(emphasis added)
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1755-1315/907/1/012027

Two additional non-peer reviewed journalistic articles sprinkled in for flavor:
https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces

https://www.geotab.com/blog/reverse-parking/[/QUOTE]

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Apparently, you are incorrect.

https://www.clickorlando.com/traffi...of Florida does,restrict that type of parking

https://www.123driving.com/dmv/drivers-handbook-parking/
Sponsored