• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pdxguy

First Name
La
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE, Toyota Tacoma, Audi
Just got 4.2.1 today. Had the 4.1.1 update Jan 24. Have not done anything except going back and moving the toggle to connect to Wi-fi back on as it seemed to go off more than once.
Sponsored

tbross319

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150-Lightning
So I got this earlier today after doing a negative pull (left FP 'dead' for two weeks so the dealer would see it was broken). This was my first update since January ant 4.1.1. Did they pull all of the UI enhancements (Dial for temp/heating and the dedicated camera button)? I still have the 'split' settings and controls page vs the unified one I've seen posted here. Anyone else in a similar boat and wondering if they bifurcated their releases?

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
p.s. got 4.1.1 in January and now 4.2.1. Still love the truck and still afraid of auto update.
Maxx,
I'm right there with you.
I'd like to know more about what all is in these updates before installing them.
I totally understand both of your trepidation.

For what it's worth, I too was scared of the auto-update. However, if these updates bring fixes and feature enhancements that improve my truck and driving experience I'm all for getting it ASAP. If Ford removes features with an auto-update, there is a reason. They do have people watching these forums and other sources as well as pulling data back from trucks.

My only suggestion would be a more descriptive "change log". If they make specific changes to fast charging for example, I don't need to know specifics...but a "Your Fast Charging curve has been optimized." would be nice.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Maxx,
I'm right there with you.
I'd like to know more about what all is in these updates before installing them.

May be their lawyers got the best of them. A company this big may be afraid of admitting anything was wrong to begin with in case another creative lawyer is thinking about a vacation home. Or may be it is simply a mistake induced by the rush to fix some major issues fast. We may never know.

Whenever I communicate with a CS in the evaluation afterward, the system asks me how much do I trust Ford. Well Transparency goes a long way to get a good rating there. Rivian owners have had a ton of issues that is getting fixed very quickly but they think of the company as a team mate not adversary because how frank the company is about their shortcoming. Ford is a car company not a software company. I totally understand that but as the lines get blurred, Ford can use the owners as an asset to do well in transition. That requires a two way communication and trust.

I totally understand both of your trepidation.

For what it's worth, I too was scared of the auto-update. However, if these updates bring fixes and feature enhancements that improve my truck and driving experience I'm all for getting it ASAP. If Ford removes features with an auto-update, there is a reason. They do have people watching these forums and other sources as well as pulling data back from trucks.
I generally agree with you. I think over all positives outweigh the negative but I would like to have the ability to delay updates without fear of screwing something up. As is, I am not confident if I turn the auto update off and turn it back on after two updates are sent out, it can do them correctly. So regardless of my fears, I am rolling the dice with the rest of you.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Well Transparency goes a long way to get a good rating there. Rivian owners have had a ton of issues that is getting fixed very quickly but they think of the company as a team mate not adversary because how frank the company is about their shortcoming. Ford is a car company not a software company. I totally understand that but as the lines get blurred, Ford can use the owners as an asset to do well in transition. That requires a two way communication and trust.

I generally agree with you. I think over all positives outweigh the negative but I would like to have the ability to delay updates without fear of screwing something up. As is, I am not confident if I turn the auto update off and turn it back on after two updates are sent out, it can do them correctly. So regardless of my fears, I am rolling the dice with the rest of you.
For what it's worth, Rivian has their own problems. Long waits on physical repairs being one of them (neighbor has one that is going on 3 months waiting for a repair). Us having the ability to take our vehicles to any Ford Service center is a huge plus.

If Auto-Updates do worry you, leave off the Auto-Update feature and keep your eyes peeled here. A week after people report receiving the update (and no issues reported), turn it back on.

I have said in the past we own a Gen 1 EV, in reality it's more of a Gen 1.5 since our platform is based on a tried and true platform that has been the best selling truck in America.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
For what it's worth, Rivian has their own problems. Long waits on physical repairs being one of them (neighbor has one that is going on 3 months waiting for a repair). Us having the ability to take our vehicles to any Ford Service center is a huge plus.

.... I have said in the past we own a Gen 1 EV, in reality it's more of a Gen 1.5 since our platform is based on a tried and true platform that has been the best selling truck in America.
Didn't mean to have a general comp between the two. I was just comparing what was relevant to the topic. otherwise, I had a reservation and was seriously considering to pull the trigger on Rivian but Ford won the list of Pros and Cons. Gen 1.5 and the dealer network were some of the biggies. The fact that Ford had the Pro trim was important to me for multiple reasons. Pro may be the last truck I may be able to get without a lot of "improvements" I consider stupid and potential source of new problems to deal with. The value was impossible to pass on. Rivian's air suspention as much as everyone raves about it, is something I rather not have. Rivian vampire loss would bug the heck out of me. I just hate waste. Ford is more quiet and comfortable and you just can't beat the utility of Frunk, backseat and the bed. I could go on. Don't get me wrong. I am very happy with my choice. Just saying software and communication has potential for improvement.

Arrington.LCA

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
So I got this earlier today after doing a negative pull (left FP 'dead' for two weeks so the dealer would see it was broken). This was my first update since January ant 4.1.1. Did they pull all of the UI enhancements (Dial for temp/heating and the dedicated camera button)? I still have the 'split' settings and controls page vs the unified one I've seen posted here. Anyone else in a similar boat and wondering if they bifurcated their releases?
Same situation. Don't actually see any other changes that I've heard described by other members.

gymgeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Edge, 2023 F150L Pro
Occupation
IT Geek
I didn't get the update via wifi by 10:30 this morning, so I pulled the fuse. When I went to drive around noon, as soon as I turned it on, it gave me an error to stop as soon as possible. I've seen others say this happened after pulling that fuse. I turned the truck off and back on a couple times and it cleared. Drove it 5 miles and while in the store, got the update.

I hope this really fixes it!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

If Auto-Updates do worry you, leave off the Auto-Update feature and keep your eyes peeled here. A week after people report receiving the update (and no issues reported), turn it back on.

I have said in the past we own a Gen 1 EV, in reality it's more of a Gen 1.5 since our platform is based on a tried and true platform that has been the best selling truck in America.
As a Rivian owner, I call BS on waiting 3 months for a physical repair...there's no way it would be done so quickly.

All joking aside, it's a very real problem. When my Rivian got a recall my option was to take 1 day off of work so I could drive 3 hours to them, drop off the car, and drive 3 hours back. When it was fixed, I'd need to take a 2nd ay off of work to do the same.

Their mobile repairs are great, but they have 2 techs to service 4 states which simply doesn't work. Meanwhile I've got 4? maybe more Ford dealers within 15 minutes in each direction.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
As a Rivian owner, I call BS on waiting 3 months for a physical repair...there's no way it would be done so quickly.

All joking aside, it's a very real problem. When my Rivian got a recall my option was to take 1 day off of work so I could drive 3 hours to them, drop off the car, and drive 3 hours back. When it was fixed, I'd need to take a 2nd ay off of work to do the same.

Their mobile repairs are great, but they have 2 techs to service 4 states which simply doesn't work. Meanwhile I've got 4? maybe more Ford dealers within 15 minutes in each direction.
Yep, that was her experience as well.

The Rivian is fun to drive (despite being faster on paper the accelration felt the same as the Lightning, definitely turns better), but I preferred my Pro Lightning over that Rivian.

Size matters.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Yep, that was her experience as well.

The Rivian is fun to drive (despite being faster on paper the accelration felt the same as the Lightning, definitely turns better), but I preferred my Pro Lightning over that Rivian.

Size matters.
I did too, which is why I went back to the Lightning.
However I will also say...the Pro SR Lightning > Lariat ER Lightning.

Where I felt the Pro was undeniably better than the Rivian, the Lariat I'm left with wondering if Rivian did it better. The big screen technology IMO actually hurts this truck.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I did too, which is why I went back to the Lightning.
However I will also say...the Pro SR Lightning > Lariat ER Lightning.

Where I felt the Pro was undeniably better than the Rivian, the Lariat I'm left with wondering if Rivian did it better. The big screen technology IMO actually hurts this truck.
I get what you're saying. I would gladly take a ER Lariat over my SR Pro...but not if I had to pay for it.

The SR Pro is a Unicorn, especially since we all paid under $50k for it. For the money it is absolutely, without a doubt, the best EV on the market.

The big screen on the higher trims seems forced, more of an obligation that wasn't well thought out. I don't doubt that SYNC 4A will get better for those owners though. SYNC 4A just has a tiny subset of owners compared to SYNC 4, that could play into the original lack of refinement.

Edit: I've gotten off topic here, and I apologize.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I get what you're saying. I would gladly take a ER Lariat over my SR Pro...but not if I had to pay for it.

The SR Pro is a Unicorn, especially since we all paid under $50k for it. For the money it is absolutely, without a doubt, the best EV on the market.

The bug screen on the higher trims seems forced, more of an obligation that wasn't well thought out. I don't doubt that SYNC 4A will get better for those owners though. SYNC 4A just has a tiny subset of owners compared to SYNC 4, that could play into the original lack of refinement.
The big screen on the higher trims is a waste...it's bigger but the Pro/XLT owners screen is more usable. On the big screen I'm often left wondering and hunting where as the small screen is more logical and intuitive.

I do like blue cruise though...and I love the jeans looking material and the brown stitching. But I do miss the softer ride and more nimble handling from the Pro.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The big screen on the higher trims is a waste...it's bigger but the Pro/XLT owners screen is more usable. On the big screen I'm often left wondering and hunting where as the small screen is more logical and intuitive.

I do like blue cruise though...and I love the jeans looking material and the brown stitching. But I do miss the softer ride and more nimble handling from the Pro.
The Pro rides different from the Lariat?
Sponsored