• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Really hoping adapters come out quickly. My guess is this time next year we still won't see any NACS ports on any Fords yet, and no adapter will exist yet.
Jim Farley (Ford CEO) announced minutes ago on CNBC Ford will be sending to all EV Owners (past and present) free adapters in the future.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I like the idea overall, but hope they don't ditch the J1772/CCS port.
With all the hype about the V2H capability, I just don't see Ford ditching the CCS port altogether. I'm hoping it will have both a CCS port and a Tesla port.

(Also I could see Ford not wanting to piss off Fleet customers who may have invested heavily into charging infrastructure based on J1772/CCS std)

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Jim Farley (Ford CEO) announced minutes ago on CNBC Ford will be sending to all EV Owners (past and present) free adapters in the future.
Video for those who are interested:

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
To me the future solution is pretty simple (Do not over-think this by longer cables or moving the input ports). Just build new Charge Locations as Pull-Through as all Gas Stations do. Old Pull-In locations can be reconfigured as their hardware ages and becomes obsolete. As a byproduct the tow crowd will be happy.
110% agreement, especially for us towing truck drivers.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! switching.PNG

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I think Ford's Communications team really misses opportunities, and this is a big one. There should have been a list of FAQs ready before this happened, and while it was ongoing put up everywhere. Having Musk say that we'll have to buy adapters? No, that should come from Ford, with "an expected price of X to Y" or "it will be provided to all current owners" or similar.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Yeah like when they pass 6 super chargers on the way to Las Vegas and then take up all 4 L2 CCS chargers WITH there adapter at the hotel 🤔
It's all about convenience and practicality. Why should a Tesla owner not charge at the hotel overnight vs stopping to spend 20 minutes at a SC? No one knew you were going to be at the hotel in an EV with a substandard charging network. Hotel chargers are fair game for all.

This reminds me of all of the whiners at work. We now have about 28 chargers on campus where I work. The same cars get there first thing in the AM and charge, then move. We have a 4 hour limit. But those that come in late are always whining about they can't get a charger when they come in, they have to get on the waitlist, which doesn't always work well. It's first come, first serve. Charge at home - quit bitching because you bought an EV thinking you could get all your charging free at work.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Do the DCFC cables require internal cooling? Not sure how that would work if any cable length is needed.
Tesla v3 SC's do have liquid cooled cables.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
The bigger problem is the lack of standards in this industry. Tesla created their own standard and waited too long to release it to other companies and that created a mess.

So now we have multiple ports, and Fords and potentially other brands will finally adopt Tesla plugs after a certain date, meanwhile, Tesla is required to put CCS ports on all European Teslas... Go Figure.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_eu/GUID-BEE08D47-0CE0-4BDD-83F2-9854FB3D578F.html#:~:text=The charge port is located on the left,is part of the rear tail light assembly.

1685097971491.png

The other thing that should've been standardized is the charge port location, driver rear. Teslas cords are short because all Teslas back in and the cord is perfect. If charge ports were all located in the same place cords could all be shorter and there wouldn't be problems when people need to park in one place and plug into the adjoining space.
There are standards - and then there are things that just work - and now you see Ford even starting to wake up and realize - the govt standard isn't always the best. They are simply trying to deliver better value for their owners without having to do the heavy and expensive work like building a decent charging network. Farley realized there is only one way to make traveling/road tripping doable- jump on board with the leader. I take many jabs at him for not backing up his word, but this is a brilliant move on his part.

Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
This is great news. Although there still will be many logistical challenges (short chords, no trailer space, tight spaces for trucks); we could not have hoped for a more reliable and speedy expansion of Lightning charging opportunities. To add 12,000 chargers in 6-8 months is phenomenal. The fact that the Supercharger network is continually expanding is another great benefit. Masterful work by Farley and Musk— my hat’s off to both of them and the teams who will solve the logistical issues to make it work.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Really hoping adapters come out quickly. My guess is this time next year we still won't see any NACS ports on any Fords yet, and no adapter will exist yet.
There won't be any NCAS ports installed in the current model Lightning or Mach-E. It's for the next generation of vehicles. Current model will have to work with adaptors.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Man just saw the interview and he sure did say the would be shipping out an adapter. Also Looks like it’ll start early 2024!

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I can see the Tesla forums now upset about all the Lightning owners backing into the Telsa chargers with their trailer hitches. Exciting times ahead!
I have a Tesla and a Lightning so I am a member of both forums. The attitude on the Tesla side seems to be:
  1. Some people see this as a great move for Ford and Tesla. Ford owners get access to a great charging network. Tesla gets a MAJOR manufacturer to adopt their charging standard. Win Win.
  2. Everybody is concerned about the length of the cables and if Lightnings will eat up 2 spots making the charging cable reach the port. (I share in this one)
  3. Some are whining about how they don't want to share their charging network with "Pick up truck" people. <-- I am fighting the urge to troll this group.
Sponsored