• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
it’s more like 10s of thousands of them. Since most EV owners charge at home, the only time they even use DCFC chargers is on long trips. There are literally hundreds of thousands of postings on PlugShare where people are CCS charging on long trips, get your facts straight.
It was pretty clearly (I thought) hyperbole. 🤷 I would wager the vast majority of DCFC use is regional. Most people don't drive cross country at all. Fewer still in EVs. And even then not very often.

It's important because people buy based on what they might do, not based on what they actually do. Which is why we have 7-passenger seating or 300+ mile batteries in our commuter vehicles.

This might give Ford some pricing leverage. But it isn't going to sell a single additional EV in the next 5 years (because they'll sell every single one they can make regardless), and it might change where the average owner stops to charge a handful of times in their entire ownership.

Anyway, I guess my point was that the Bolt and ID.4 owners will be just fine regardless of whatever Elon Musk does. This isn't hurting them, really.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm very hopeful that this partnership does good things for Ford's SW.
Fords software engineers trying to explain to Tesla software engineers how the Fordpass back end works…

In all seriousness if this helps the development of Fordpass even come close to the usability and reliability of the Tesla app then it’s a huge win on its own

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! IMG_1609

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
I'm sure this will come - but jeez - rain on Tesla - EA isn't really any better sometimes the way you have to maneuver.

No one wants to realize we are still in a growing period. No one here wants to know what Tesla owners did for ALL of us the first 6 or 7 years that company was in business. It wasn't until about 2016 that the network was starting to take off. Those early adopters did a lot to be able to own and support Tesla. It is about 99.5% on those people for making possible what we have today - From Tesla and from Ford.

The stations will adapt. Cables will adapt. We will adapt. However if you want it all day one you need to go buy a Powerboost or ICE.
My comment was meant as a general statement about all chargers it just fit into this thread and I never said I wanted it day one so chill out.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Then you need all the bidirectional equipment. Just use a transfer switch for the cost of the software
Ya I know there's a lot more needed in addition to the FCSP.
If Ford drops the ccs ports from future vehicles, hopefully the dcfc adapters will also support the FCSP or anyone who went through the expensive setup today may have to spend more in the future to keep it working with a newer Ford vehicle. If future vehicles go to just one port (Tesla) and that port supports V2G, which with how big a deal Ford makes this feature I would hope it's makes it into future iterations of the EV trucks.

Living in north Texas, I've never really had a need for backup power at my home (although recent years weather events has made me start thinking about it). However I'm looking at moving north and home backup power may be needed.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Anyway, I guess my point was that the Bolt and ID.4 owners will be just fine regardless of whatever Elon Musk does. This isn't hurting them, really.
Speaking from experience from someone that’s on their 5th EV, people buy the EV they need, not the one they want. Personally I drive between Texas and Colorado several times a year and that has driven many of my EV buying decisions. My first EV was a 2013 Ford Focus Electric which was a great commuter but it took me four days when I drove it to Colorado because I could only L2 charge at RV Parks.

My Lightning gets up to Colorado a lot quicker because of the vastly improved range and charging speed but I still have to zigzag hundreds of miles and several hours out of my way because CCS chargers along the direct route are limited. There are more Superchargers along the direct route.

So no, Bolt EV and ID4 owners are not just fine. Until more CCS chargers come on line or until Tesla opens up the Supercharger network they are going to have to sacrifice time and distance on long trips just like I still have to on my trips to Colorado.

gymgeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Edge, 2023 F150L Pro
Occupation
IT Geek
Regarding the hope the supercharger adapter would be free for current customers, I saw a message in FordPass today about the supercharger announcement. At the bottom, it says this: "Adapter pricing as well as charging rates will be shared closer to Tesla Superchargers becoming available through the BlueOval Charge Network."

Bubble bursted....

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Speaking from experience from someone that’s on their 5th EV, people buy the EV they need, not the one they want. Personally I drive between Texas and Colorado several times a year and that has driven many of my EV buying decisions. My first EV was a 2013 Ford Focus Electric which was a great commuter but it took me four days when I drove it to Colorado because I could only L2 charge at RV Parks.

My Lightning gets up to Colorado a lot quicker because of the vastly improved range and charging speed but I still have to zigzag hundreds of miles and several hours out of my way because CCS chargers along the direct route are limited. There are more Superchargers along the direct route.

So no, Bolt EV and ID4 owners are not just fine. Until more CCS chargers come on line or until Tesla opens up the Supercharger network they are going to have to sacrifice time and distance on long trips just like I still have to on my trips to Colorado.
I totally agree, if I get my lightning, I'm going to be driving it to Vermont and I SHOULD be able to make it, even when towing a camper trailer, however having access to the Tesla stations as well will make the trip much easier. I wish they were getting the adapter out sooner.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Bolt is mostly a city car due to DCFC speeds and ID4 owners all have free EA charging and will plan accordingly to avoid having any charging costs. I know it did, as I drove a 2021 ID4 FE RWD for 15k miles mostly on EA’s dime. Lots of new “coming soon” EA installations around me in CT. Lots of IRA money coming to improve charging networks. The government dislikes monopolies and will funnel resources accordingly.

GDQ

First Name
GQ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Farley said that existing Ford EV owners are going to be sent NACS adapters for this: " “We’re going to ship an adapter to everyone who’s bought a Ford EV,” Farley said. “This is not just for the future, it’s for all the people who already bought our vehicles. So they’ll get an adapter from Ford, they go on FordPass, they pick the payment option they want, all the billing is the same as it is today, so it’s going to be super easy.”

https://fordauthority.com/2023/05/all-current-ford-ev-owners-will-get-tesla-nacs-adapter/

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
Ya I know there's a lot more needed in addition to the FCSP.
If Ford drops the ccs ports from future vehicles, hopefully the dcfc adapters will also support the FCSP or anyone who went through the expensive setup today may have to spend more in the future to keep it working with a newer Ford vehicle. If future vehicles go to just one port (Tesla) and that port supports V2G, which with how big a deal Ford makes this feature I would hope it's makes it into future iterations of the EV trucks.

Living in north Texas, I've never really had a need for backup power at my home (although recent years weather events has made me start thinking about it). However I'm looking at moving north and home backup power may be needed.
Yep I understand. But in the end a whole house generator is a better option If you are really worried about. If you are away with the truck and then power goes out then house is covered. Just my thought.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
It's all about convenience and practicality. Why should a Tesla owner not charge at the hotel overnight vs stopping to spend 20 minutes at a SC? No one knew you were going to be at the hotel in an EV with a substandard charging network. Hotel chargers are fair game for all.

This reminds me of all of the whiners at work. We now have about 28 chargers on campus where I work. The same cars get there first thing in the AM and charge, then move. We have a 4 hour limit. But those that come in late are always whining about they can't get a charger when they come in, they have to get on the waitlist, which doesn't always work well. It's first come, first serve. Charge at home - quit bitching because you bought an EV thinking you could get all your charging free at work.
I am not complaining and waited my turn , well I was lucky to be getting something out of my truck when a spot opened. I am saying the Tesla owners should not have anything to say when I am at a Tesla charger, but there will be I am sure.
Sponsored