• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Those aren't XLT wheels though,are they?
Those are the 20” wheels for the XLT hi package. I believe that’s what you get if you order the 312A equipment group, which is optional with the standard range and standard with the extended range battery.

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
So excited that we could be soon seeing 2023 Lightnings in the new Avalanche color. I have a 12/19 build for an XLT in Avalanche and most likely a Jan/Feb delivery so I will need to live vicariously through those early 2023 deliveries.

Thanks in advance
Does this count?

I'm selling my Chevy Avalanche after owning it for 18 years to get my Lightning.

I considered ordering the Avalanche color in honor of 'Duke', but my wife wanted a different color and considering the amount of money I am spending on this new truck, anything to make her happy with it...

Ford F-150 Lightning AVALANCHE F-150 Lightning Photos & Club IMG_4297.JPEG

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I’m anxiously awaiting more pictures Of Avalanche. Crazy there haven’t been more of them during testing etc.

Rancheroni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Bronco 4D
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here with this comment, but I also have an avalanche gray XLT on order (scheduled for 11/28 production). I placed my order in a rush and waffled between avalanche gray and stone gray metallic, ultimately choosing AG.

I called up some dealers on Friday asking to see if they had any vehicles on the lot with avalanche gray to see in person, because I was getting cold feet about the color. When I ordered I was between iconic silver, stone gray metallic, and avalanche gray.

Anyway a dealer rep told me that the old avalanche gray that was an option on the prior gen raptor is actually a different shade of gray than the one in 2023 lightning. He said if you want an idea of what it will look like, check out cactus gray because it's basically the same as cactus gray. That is super confusing, why not just call it cactus gray?

Anyway that "info" really bothered me because I personally do not like cactus gray because it has like a greenish hue to it that despite being subtle, kinda ruins it for me.

Anyway since my prod date is so close I emailed my dealer to ask if changing the color to stone gray would delay my lightning(havent heard back). I went to a ford dealer this weekend and saw an iconic silver lightning and a stone gray f150 tremor and really liked the stone gray. Iconic silver looks good too.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the MY23 F150 Lightning avalanche gray is different from the previous color of the same name offered on F150 Raptors? If so, is it the same paint code as cactus gray?

Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here with this comment, but I also have an avalanche gray XLT on order (scheduled for 11/28 production). I placed my order in a rush and waffled between avalanche gray and stone gray metallic, ultimately choosing AG.

I called up some dealers on Friday asking to see if they had any vehicles on the lot with avalanche gray to see in person, because I was getting cold feet about the color. When I ordered I was between iconic silver, stone gray metallic, and avalanche gray.

Anyway a dealer rep told me that the old avalanche gray that was an option on the prior gen raptor is actually a different shade of gray than the one in 2023 lightning. He said if you want an idea of what it will look like, check out cactus gray because it's basically the same as cactus gray. That is super confusing, why not just call it cactus gray?

Anyway that "info" really bothered me because I personally do not like cactus gray because it has like a greenish hue to it that despite being subtle, kinda ruins it for me.

Anyway since my prod date is so close I emailed my dealer to ask if changing the color to stone gray would delay my lightning(havent heard back). I went to a ford dealer this weekend and saw an iconic silver lightning and a stone gray f150 tremor and really liked the stone gray. Iconic silver looks good too.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the MY23 F150 Lightning avalanche gray is different from the previous color of the same name offered on F150 Raptors? If so, is it the same paint code as cactus gray?
Dealers sometimes get bad information. I have a hard time believing it is close to Cactus Grey. See Bronco Sport vs Lightning. If it is then Ford needs to work at getting colors more accurate on their build app
Ford F-150 Lightning AVALANCHE F-150 Lightning Photos & Club 1668446058357

Ford F-150 Lightning AVALANCHE F-150 Lightning Photos & Club 1668446149927

Last edited:

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Your dealer is probably wrong, and from the one spy shot that went around recently, Avalanche grey looks the same as it did on the Raptor.

Why would Ford change how Avalanche grey looks on the Lightning compared to how it looks on the Raptor AND GT350 AND Ranger AND Transit?

These color names do attempt to represent the color and "avalanche" is dirty-snow-hint-of-blue and "cactus" is earthy-green and "azur" is blue-purple-ish.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Like someone else said, the pictures we've seen of an F-150 Lightning in a non-metallic gray are not Cactus Gray.

Ford F-150 Lightning AVALANCHE F-150 Lightning Photos & Club _dsc0469-jpg-

ALSO, there are pictures from the 2023 Raptor R unveiling which are *presumably* Avalanche, and they are definitely not like Cactus Grey:

Ford F-150 Lightning AVALANCHE F-150 Lightning Photos & Club _dsc0469-jpg-

I actually like Cactus Gray, but why wouldn't they just call it Cactus Gray, then, like they do for the Bronco, Ranger, etc.? In the Mustang, Cactus Gray was called Jet Fighter Gray, and it's not called that, either.

So, there's just no real reason to believe (outside of the dealer's claim) that it's going to be Cactus instead of "typical" Avalanche.

Everything points to it being the blue-ish non-metallic gray (old Avalanche) rather than the green-ish non-metallic gray (Cactus, Fighter Jet).

Rancheroni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Bronco 4D
I wish we can get a conclusive official statement from Ford because I do like the avalanche gray on the prior raptor as well as that reveal shot of the 23 raptor R.

But you also just said that Ford renamed cactus gray to fighter jet gray on the mustang, so they have a history of renaming identical colors for different models. I wouldn't so quickly refute the dealer "info" as misinformation because it could be true that they are doing the same for the lightning, even though probably everyone here including myself would hope otherwise.

*shrugs* I guess the question still remains for me and I'm sure others, do I go with a color like stone gray that I have actually seen and like in person, or do I go with avalanche gray that I *may* not like?

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
I wish we can get a conclusive official statement from Ford because I do like the avalanche gray on the prior raptor as well as that reveal shot of the 23 raptor R.

But you also just said that Ford renamed cactus gray to fighter jet gray on the mustang, so they have a history of renaming identical colors for different models. I wouldn't so quickly refute the dealer "info" as misinformation because it could be true that they are doing the same for the lightning, even though probably everyone here including myself would hope otherwise.

*shrugs* I guess the question still remains for me and I'm sure others, do I go with a color like stone gray that I have actually seen and like in person, or do I go with avalanche gray that I *may* not like?
I would bet my Lightning it is not going to have green like the Cactus grey. Just look at the configurator pic above. There is no way Ford is that far off on how it is representing the color.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
According to this post https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...e-gray-and-azure-gray-metallic-area-51.11322/ Avalanche Gray is color code DR. That is the same color code as the 22-23 Transit (see https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?code=DR&manuf=Ford&rows=50). No mention of the Ranger Raptor for this color code unless that is the generic Ford Truck in the listing.

Cactus Gray is color code NE (https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?code=NE&manuf=Ford&rows=50). Same as Fighter Jet Gray on Mach-E.

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
According to this post https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...e-gray-and-azure-gray-metallic-area-51.11322/ Avalanche Gray is color code DR. That is the same color code as the 22-23 Transit (see https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?code=DR&manuf=Ford&rows=50). No mention of the Ranger Raptor for this color code unless that is the generic Ford Truck in the listing.

Cactus Gray is color code NE (https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?code=NE&manuf=Ford&rows=50). Same as Fighter Jet Gray on Mach-E.
According to this chart:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-paint-codes#2016

The 2016 GT350 in Avalanche was ALSO paint code "DR".

The name is the same. The paint code is the same. The pictures are close enough to assume they're the same.

Everything says old Avalanche = new Avalanche, and that they're not Cactus.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Your dealer is definitely wrong. They are also (poorly) speculating as they haven't seen the color on the Lightning.

Color codes are the same everywhere the code is the same, Avalanche Gray and Cactus Gray are 2 different codes. Ford doesn't change pigment on the same color codes...you know how bad that would screw things up?

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

Dude, Ford does NOT have a history of renaming identical colors to paint names that already exist.

That one case you mentioned was renaming a current color to a NEW color name and only because they wanted a tough sounding color name for the Mustang. So instead of "earth-hippy-peyote-trip-cactus-green" they went with "jet-fighter-'merica-on-your-face-grey."

Plus all of the paint code evidence posted by other should assure you that AG is not CG.

Last edited:

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
If the Avalanche color ends up looking like it does in that Raptor R photo, I will be stoked! I am also in the camp of "this particular dealer is probably misinformed." They very often are.

We will find out soon enough, but what a bizarre process this has been. Preorder a truck and wait nearly two years for delivery, never actually drive one during that time frame, or even see the paint color you ordered in person. Wild.

It reminds me of waiting for your lottery number to be called for a car in Cuba, or something. "Just be happy that you get one!" Haha.
Sponsored