• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Vanity Plates?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Ok. I have you mixed up with someone else ha ha.
I was a member of the 6/6/22 build week, but you see me posting in a many different build week treads, as a moderator and facilitator when questions pop up.

kskaplan25

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Nissan Leaf SV, GMC Yukon Denali
We are pretty limited in MA on vanity plates... if I was going to get one for my Lightning, I'd pick from one of these 2 options (but I prefer to have the special EV plates so people actually know I'm driving an EV, and you can't customize those one):

1673704972490.png

(Lightning McQueen from Cars catch phrase!)

1673705002371.png

(Does that even need an explanation? Throw down the lightning bolts!)
My husband was going to get Kachow for his plate too. We also thought of getting one that says McQueen too. 😂 Don’t worry, we aren’t in MA.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I live in NH, and we can get vanity Veteran's plates. I have had mine for 11 years since I've lived here. Though lately I think it has taken on a different meaning since I've gone electric, It has been:

FREEDM (Vet plates are limited to 6 characters, so I had to drop a letter somewhere.)

Ford F-150 Lightning Vanity Plates? 1673843701470

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
It’s hard to believe, but my financially-broke state of Illinois doesn’t allow me to pay them extra money to get a vanity plate for an EV.
There has been a bill floating around the legislature since 2020 to allow vanity plates on EVs, but they can’t seem to pass it. But, hey
.last year we got new laws designating an official state rock and state snake, so there is that!
You can’t get vanity plates in general or just not on an EV? The latter would seem very odd.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You can’t get vanity plates in general or just not on an EV? The latter would seem very odd.
Just for EVs. We don’t call it “Hellinois” for nothing!

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Just for EVs. We don’t call it “Hellinois” for nothing!
Just differentiating between EVs and others cars in general seems weird. Are EVs registered differently? Is it for road taxes or something?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just differentiating between EVs and others cars in general seems weird. Are EVs registered differently? Is it for road taxes or something?
Yes
we have special plates whose numbers end in “EL” for EVs. An extra $100 per year over regular to make up for what we don’t pay in motor fuel taxes.
When this was codified into law, it was written to require the special “EL” plate. Our legislators aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawer.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Yes
we have special plates whose numbers end in “EL” for EVs. An extra $100 per year over regular to make up for what we don’t pay in motor fuel taxes.
When this was codified into law, it was written to require the special “EL” plate. Our legislators aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawer.
The state has run out of EL tags, so there is no longer any distinction between EV plates and regular plates. The Mach-E I bought a couple years back has EL tags, but the Lightning I bought in November has regular truck tags because there are no more EL tags available. Pretty sure we are allowed vanity tags now. I tried the vanity tag tool on the IL Secretary of State website and put in my VIN and it was going to let me purchase vanity "B" truck tags to replace my regular "B" truck tags.

honus01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning (pending), 2020 F150, 2018 GT350
Ford F-150 Lightning Vanity Plates? 7A64FB67-F6D2-4233-BE04-24528D6BFC01

This is the most obscure vanity plate out there.
It’s the medical code for “Shock due to being struck by lightning, initial encounter.”
I love it because it looks like a state induced gibberish code.

Sponsored

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
I was hoping to get ELKTRA (what I named the Lightning) on the throw-back blue/yellow plate here in Michigan, but it disappeared while I was waiting for my tags to officially transfer from my 2005 Silverado ... now I check in from time to time to see if something I want becomes available.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The state has run out of EL tags, so there is no longer any distinction between EV plates and regular plates. The Mach-E I bought a couple years back has EL tags, but the Lightning I bought in November has regular truck tags because there are no more EL tags available. Pretty sure we are allowed vanity tags now. I tried the vanity tag tool on the IL Secretary of State website and put in my VIN and it was going to let me purchase vanity "B" truck tags to replace my regular "B" truck tags.
My dealer wasn’t aware of that or I would have transferred the tags from the ICE F-150 that I traded in. Can’t say I’m surprised, though.