• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I've often wondered why they use dark badges, even on dark colors. While I understand the need for all badges to have the same color scheme, I wonder why they didn't simply use Chrome, which generally shows up well on every color.

With that in mind, I've started tinkering with the idea of getting a Cricut vinyl cutting machine to try to make my own contrasting color for my Atlas Blue Lightning.

So, I actually ordered a machine and started by hand tracing some logos. Once it arrives, I'll need to tinker with the actual sizes multiple times to get the exact sizes, but you've got to start somewhere.

I went to Michaels looking at the various colors of vinyl out there and decided to try yellow, and possibly a turquoise blue.

Here's a mock-up of what the colors could look like. If it works, I'll put up real photos and my artwork files.

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl F-150 Lightning Back of Truck

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl F-150 Lightning Charge Port

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl F-150 Lightning Rear Badge 2

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl F-150 Lightning Rear Badge

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl f-150 Lightning Side Profile

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl F-150 Lightning Side View 2
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
There are people already selling vinyl cutouts in tons of different colors. You could probably get them to make the cutouts in whatever color you want if you send them the material.

ETA: if you search for "charge door vinyl" you'll see a few of the people who have added the vinyl lettering to the charge door and tailgate. I did the "lightning blue" on my charge door (SQM truck), it looks like it should've come that way from the factory.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I thought of that, but since I'll end up getting 2 small ones for the charge port, 2 side badges for the back, plus the larger one for the tailgate, then potentially messing on up or changing my mind about the color, I decided the DIY approach would be best.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
As a University of Michigan fan, I approve of the yellow vinyl on the Atlas Blue. Just call it Maize.

Anyway, I went with the American Flag in mine. I think it looks good.

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl 20221202_122921

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl 20221016_163514

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
As a University of Michigan fan, I approve of the yellow vinyl on the Atlas Blue. Just call it Maize.

Anyway, I went with the American Flag in mine. I think it looks good.

20221202_122921.jpg

20221016_163514.jpg
Looks great!

The funny thing is all the links in the forums to get an insert for the charger door no longer work, which is how I decided to look for a DIY approach.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find raw vinyl with Stars and Stripes, but I picked up a few shades of yellow to get me started.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos showing how a Cricut works (mostly housewives creating cards and gifts with flowers). If nothing else, it’s fun giving it a try.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Looks great!

The funny thing is all the links in the forums to get an insert for the charger door no longer work, which is how I decided to look for a DIY approach.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find raw vinyl with Stars and Stripes, but I picked up a few shades of yellow to get me started.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos showing how a Cricut works (mostly housewives creating cards and gifts with flowers). If nothing else, it’s fun giving it a try.
Wow. I can't believe the seller I purchased the charge port lettering from stopped selling them. In my mind, they were overpriced for what you got, but with the lack of options I bought them. He had to have made money on them.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I purchased my charge port letters from Etsy, seems like a a lot of people have them there. Went with a raised gloss black vinyl
AF1F7EAB-A52E-4929-9474-EA32069986C0.jpeg
5500D478-C4E9-404E-9E3A-40124F443241.jpeg
I’ve had a hard time finding them anywhere, including Etsy, so although it may end up costing more to buy the machine and do it by myself, I can tinker with colors and also cut some other stuff I can’t find anywhere.

I’ve never used a Cricut before, so if nothing else, I can tinker with other designs. For example, I paid about $50 for a set of Blues Brothers faces for my Jeep that I can’t find anywhere and I even paid quite a bit just for the words “Wrangler Unlimited” that I applied to both sides of the hood.

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl 1671945793186

Last edited:
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I've posted this in another thread, but I thought it should be here too. This one is NOT photoshopped. It's the finished product.

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl IMG_1324

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl IMG_1325

If anyone is interested, I saved this as an SVG file, and I'm going to make one for the rear "Lightning" logo. It's especially useful for people like me with a dark color.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Just finished the back...

Once again, this time they're not PhotoShopped... I finally got the measurements right and this is the finished product.

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl IMG_1332
Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl IMG_1333

Sponsored
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I decided to make a 7 inch version of the logo and try it here:

Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl 1674422285466

And here (My next step is the F-150 on the TailGate):
Ford F-150 Lightning My solution to dark badges / lettering on dark colors -- contrasting color vinyl 1674422472853

Whoabeats

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 Volt, ‘97 ram 2500 CTD
I've posted this in another thread, but I thought it should be here too. This one is NOT photoshopped. It's the finished product.

IMG_1324.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

If anyone is interested, I saved this as an SVG file, and I'm going to make one for the rear "Lightning" logo. It's especially useful for people like me with a dark color.
I’d be interested in the file. My wife can do some awesome stuff with her cricut.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I’d be interested in the file. My wife can do some awesome stuff with her cricut.
Looks like I can't post them directly, but here's a DropBox link, including the Affinity Designer files I created to trace the images.

The key is to scale the final versions in Cricut to get the scale right.

I scaled the charge port to 8.92 inches, and the rear to 17.1 inches. The smaller version of the "Lightning" is up to you because it does't need to fit on or in anything. Mine is 7 inches.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mj1icy42id9k4os/AAC4PTmhlrcETQ62BpBHEgTJa?dl=0

I could clean them up a bit for another cut, but I'm pretty satisfied for now. If anything, I'm thinking of scaling the Lightning part to be a tad thinner so some of the black shows.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
As adults, how do we live in a world where it's even considered a good idea to put yellow stickers ( or honestly, cheap vinyl anything ) all over a 60k+ truck?.. I had to scroll through this quickly, and I'd just like to say I'm glad that you showed a little restraint and removed them off the tailgate f-150
Sponsored