• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

‘22 Pro Totaled: Advice Please

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The accident: early morning on a narrow country road, the driver of opposite direction traffic fell asleep and drifted into my lane. I saw her coming and headed for the weeds trying to get away but she kept coming and clipped my left rear. The impact broke off the wheel/trailing arm/axle and bent the frame. After impact the truck gave me a good ride, spun me around 180 degrees and we ended up in a ditch on the other side of the road. My airbags did not deploy. Nobody was hurt.

Began this project in May 2021 and managed to get one of the few ‘22 Pros. It was delivered in September 2022 and driven about 5500 miles. I’m heartbroken as you might imagine.

Insurance: USAA declared it a “total loss” but I don’t have the $$ numbers yet. I’m not hopeful that they will come up with enough to replace the truck given the price increases… if I can even find one.

What’s your advice on strategy with USAA?

Where/how do I find another Pro?

For those of you who have been through similar situations, what should I be thinking about? All advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I actually just got in a very minor fender bender in my ‘22 Pro as well, I also have USAA. I will let you know what my experience is

vsansal

First Name
Volkan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro, Tesla Model Y Performance
I would hire a lawyer that can negotiate a better price for you. The valuation should not be from your window sticker but from a brand new one. The price hike is significant in the last 3-4 months so it should be reflected on the pay off. After that I would look for an inventory or used 22 lariat standard range. Pro is not only impossible to find, its also not worth it anymore. That makes XLT also very hard to find. On Facebook there is an f150 lightning classifieds group and sometimes there are pro or XLTs available for sale.

Good luck!

OP
OP
mmcguirk

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
The accident: early morning on a narrow country road, the driver of opposite direction traffic fell asleep and drifted into my lane. I saw her coming and headed for the weeds trying to get away but she kept coming and clipped my left rear. The impact broke off the wheel/trailing arm/axle and bent the frame. After impact the truck gave me a good ride, spun me around 180 degrees and we ended up in a ditch on the other side of the road. My airbags did not deploy. Nobody was hurt.

Began this project in May 2021 and managed to get one of the few ‘22 Pros. It was delivered in September 2022 and driven about 5500 miles. I’m heartbroken as you might imagine.

Insurance: USAA declared it a “total loss” but I don’t have the $$ numbers yet. I’m not hopeful that they will come up with enough to replace the truck given the price increases… if I can even find one.

What’s your advice on strategy with USAA?

Where/how do I find another Pro?

For those of you who have been through similar situations, what should I be thinking about? All advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Sorry to hear. Glad you are okay. That is the most important thing.

USAA advertises their home policy as replacement cost and talks themselves up on quick fair support. I am sure you will be treated well.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I have USAA and totaled my car seal years ago. They hire a 3rd party to assess fair market value based on current listings. Find every listing you can in your area and make your own notes. You can dispute the estimate but you'll need evidence. I was able to provide receipts for upgrades and pointed out the cars used did not closely match mine and got a bump.

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance executive
I’ve been in the insurance business for 23 years. The worst advice you’ve been given is to hire a lawyer right away. USAA has a good policy. Some insurance carriers have a new car replacement if your car is totaled within a certain number of miles or within the first year, the person who gave you the advice to find what market value is on your vehicle is the best advice find as many as you can within 100 to 500 mile range of where you live and have those comparisons ready when the adjuster offers you a replacement. Their job is to make your hole which means to put you back into a 2022 Ford lightning pro with 5500 miles on it if there aren’t any Pro’s available that I would find the next closest thing which would be what have the pros sold for like ? yours most recently

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Eight months into my ownership experience, my Taycan 4S was totaled when someone rear-ended me at speed. It took more than three months from the date that the car was deemed a total loss to the payment of my claim. This was especially frustrating as my rental car was only covered for 30 days. Despite the delays processing the claim, they really did right by me -- have zero complaints about the value paid out and frankly, they did so right by me that I can forgive the delay.

Agreed with the above post as an attorney basically gets you nothing. If anything, it can slow the process. In PA, the insurance company has two years to pay out an auto insurance claim -- oh, this wasn't encouraging news when I was without my daily driver for so long. In the end, it all worked out.

The journey is long and will require patience. Good luck!

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I’m glad you are ok and sorry that your truck is totaled. USAA is very good and based upon my experience, you should be able to get a very good settlement. Hopefully, you have the endorsement on your policy for the additional 20% payout if a vehicle is totaled.

The valuation is based upon actual cash value and should be based upon what a used 2022 Pro in similar condition would retail for. A few years back, I totaled a brand new car with 140 miles on it after hitting a deer. USAA found the identical car - down to the paint color and offered me the dealer’s take price - which was the dealer’s asking price. Added to that, was the 20% bump as well as title, sales tax and registration. The only deduct was for the 140 miles.

The real question is what happens if there are no 22 models in the used car market with which to do a comparison.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mmcguirk

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Thank you all, for the input. I'm still waiting for numbers from USAA. Based on your encouragement, I'm getting my hopes up. I'll keep you posted.

Zap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge
Agreed 100% with fair treatment from USAA. I get the 20% additional payment rider, it is kind of like gap insurance but nothing to do with loans. Since often the value of a car may not be what you would expect (we all would like a new one of course), that 20% is a good deal. As for the homeowners replacement cost policy that's true, but not for cars. Just for things like stereos.

I had one car totaled (not my fault) once, and their value wasn't what I had hoped for. I called, they asked for photos, I show them it was in pretty close to new condition (I take care of cars), and in one phone call after uploading photos they offered me a very fair price.

Not only that, they on their own entered into arbitration with the other company who didn't want to pay, they won, and mostly got their payment back as well as my deductible.

Long story; just expect them to be fair and honest with you. There's a reason they are #1 in most independent ratings. You also have your part to be reasonable, and I hope you got the 20% rider when you got the insurance.

OP
OP
mmcguirk

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I hope you got the 20% rider when you got the insurance.
Based on a phone call with my "adjuster", I do have the extra 20% coverage. Fingers crossed.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Based on a phone call with my "adjuster", I do have the extra 20% coverage. Fingers crossed.
That's why I asked if USAA was your insurance or the at-fault party's.

When I added the Lightning to my policy online, the extra 20% coverage was automatically offered towards the end of the enrollment process. I accepted and hope you did, too!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Sorry for your loss :cry: as long as no personal injury issues are a concern, not sure the lawyer is going to be much help.

See if your state vehicle registry can provide you a list of comparable sales of 2022 Lightning Pro's and XLT-SR's for the entire state, get new and used sales data, they may have a fee for this extract.
Sponsored

Last edited: