• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

“Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is about the 2nd time I’ve been through some good amount of rain for a period of time and the wipers do not come on. I’ve tried toggling the switch on and off, different settings on the stalk. The wipers themselves work when setting them manually. Has anyone else experienced this? Looks like another issue for me to write down for my annual dealer trip.
Sponsored

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Do you have the stalk turned on one click from off?
Yes right above the OA and I’ve tried moving it from the one rain drop all the way to the 3 raindrops and none of those work at all. It’ll wipe once and then not move again.

The first time it didn’t work, I tried different settings and splash the windshield with a water hose, nothing worked. I’m hoping it’s just user error.

Sponsored

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
This is about the 2nd time I’ve been through some good amount of rain for a period of time and the wipers do not come on. I’ve tried toggling the switch on and off, different settings on the stalk. The wipers themselves work when setting them manually. Has anyone else experienced this? Looks like another issue for me to write down for my annual dealer trip.
I have noticed the same behavior. It’s has only recently started to rain here in NJ. It seems to go through periods where it wiped frequently then not at all. Interesting algorithm, for sure.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Ive been looking through the ICE forums and found this, I’ll look to see if this might be the issue

UPDATE: While outside of the truck and standing at the hood looking at the windshield and the cameras, I noticed that the rain sensing wiper sensor had a weird shadow. On a hunch, I took off the plastic camera cover by the mirror (inside the cab) and it was immediately clear what my issue was - the rain sensor has 2 clasps that snap it into place when installed, but only 1 clasp was secure and the other was not, leaving the camera hanging incorrectly and not looking out the window. I snapped the other clasp and now it works as desired. Solved!

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/autowipers-not-working.3125/page-2

Post #18

Post #21 has pictures

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Uh Oh - I might need to see this as we are about to get 5-6 inches of rain this weekend!

EEK!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
For the most part mine have worked well, but oddly enough multiple times (6 to 8 now) they try to wipe as soon as I get in the truck in the garage - and it hasn't been raining for a few days (no fluorescent lights on). I cleaned the windshield, but have still had it do it a time or two. I'll take it as an anomaly.

Hoping you get yours working better soon.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I would just take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So I ended up pushing the right side of the plastic covering as described in the ICE fix and sure enough they started moving. I’m not sure how hard it is to take off that plastic piece without breaking anything. But yeah, might have to take it to the dealer and show them what the problem is.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Just checked mine as I was driving home in the rain - works perfect.

Whew!

Thanks @F150ROD for the heads up.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For the most part mine have worked well, but oddly enough multiple times (6 to 8 now) they try to wipe as soon as I get in the truck in the garage - and it hasn't been raining for a few days (no fluorescent lights on). I cleaned the windshield, but have still had it do it a time or two. I'll take it as an anomaly.

Hoping you get yours working better soon.
I get the occasional phantom wipe in my Mach-E. Been that way for a year & a half. Now I just turn them off until it rains.
Sponsored