• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

“Real Range”

Roscoe95

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum delivered!
I had an “aggressive” 90mile drive this weekend. 75-85 MPH. Good weather, no ac or heat. My trip usage was 1.7m/kwh… That sound right? Has anyone done a chart showing usage rates vs/ MPH? (I have a platinum ER). Thanks
Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Roughly: 2.2mpk/65mph, 2.0mpk/70mph, 1.8mpk/75mph.

You get 1.7mpk, I guess your average is somewhere between 75- 80mph.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Sounds normal to me. At 75 mph, on my morning commute this week in the 30"s and 40's, I was seeing 1.6mi/kWh with no preconditioning.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
My Pro average on the highway at 70-73 mph has been 2.0 miles per kWh, limited climate control use. My overall average shows 2.3 kWh since new.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I had an “aggressive” 90mile drive this weekend. 75-85 MPH. Good weather, no ac or heat. My trip usage was 1.7m/kwh… That sound right? Has anyone done a chart showing usage rates vs/ MPH? (I have a platinum ER). Thanks
No such chart would be possible, because speed is only one of many factors influencing miles per kWh. Other factors include - temperature, weather (i.e. rain), change in altitude (going up or going down), etc.

The closer to 65mph you drive, the higher your m/kWh will be. Once winter hits, you'll see a 30 - 40% drop at least. So that 1.7 drive could be 1 - 1.2. My Mach-E drops from 2.9 - 3.1 to 2.3 - 2.4.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds normal to me. At 75 mph, on my morning commute this week in the 30"s and 40's, I was seeing 1.6mi/kWh with no preconditioning.
Preconditioning will raise up the efficiency of a commute. However, it won't raise up the efficiency of a day trip, because the battery will cool during the drive between each charge stop. So the first leg will be the most efficient, assuming a static air temperature.

Of course if you throw on the heater...

The significant drop in efficiency of the F-150L over the Mach-E, combined with the price increases and lack of tax credit, is why I likely won't place an order when my turn comes. Driving the Mach-E in the winter is already challenging on a trip, now take a 40% hit in efficiency with the F-150L and that's not working for me. Of course I still have my 2013 ICE F-150, so I don't NEED a truck.

I'm hoping the 2024 Explorer has better range and efficiency.

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
Sounds in line with what I see on my Lariat ER at those speeds.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Tesla's only lose 1-3% of range in the winter (supposedly). The mach-e loses 28% in the same conditions which is absolutely terrible. If the Lightning loses 28% too, that would be a major blow to its utility. Hopefully they've improved that. We should know soon.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Tesla's only lose 1-3% of range in the winter (supposedly). The mach-e loses 28% in the same conditions which is absolutely terrible. If the Lightning loses 28% too, that would be a major blow to its utility. Hopefully they've improved that. We should know soon.
This past February when the sunrun sales guy stopped by he recently purchased a model y performance. His drive up from New Jersey to the Burlington VT area netted him a range in the low 100s. It was 0F. Even if he was exaggerating, it is far from 1 to 3 percent. I don't know if he still has to be Tesla. I see his other car (Blue Maserati Ghibli) around.

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
Tesla's don't lose 1-3% in the winter, unless we're talking winter in the Florida Keys.

That said in more mild Winter conditions they fare much better, as their heat pump system efficiency is second to none. Until it gets below -10C (14F) the range hit due to climate is < 10%. If you're preconditioning, you probably won't see anything.

Colder than that it becomes noticable. And when you get to -30C... add snow and you could see as extreme as 50% loss if you don't pre-condition.

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yeah, fair, some stuff online says less than 1% but who knows what test conditions. Still, less than 10% loss down to 14F sounds pretty good. If you live in a place that gets to -30C, well, that's just poor planning. ;)

Hopefully for long trips where the battery heating is amortized, the hit won't be 30% on the Lightning. I don't think I'd consider buying one in a cold climate if the loss was that great.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yeah, fair, some stuff online says less than 1% but who knows what test conditions. Still, less than 10% loss down to 14F sounds pretty good. If you live in a place that gets to -30C, well, that's just poor planning. ;)

Hopefully for long trips where the battery heating is amortized, the hit won't be 30% on the Lightning. I don't think I'd consider buying one in a cold climate if the loss was that great.
The change in battery capacity itself is more than 10%.
Ford F-150 Lightning “Real Range” 81C8977B-7D7E-4412-AE68-BF3612AE7F16

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Most of the range loss is due to physics and battery chemistry. I doubt Tesla has solved those problems to any significant degree. They may have a better heating system but that doesn’t change the fact that drag increases in cold weather. Even when i’d drive my Bolt with no heating at all i’d still see 20% range loss around 30F. The Lightning is less drag friendly so it will probably see an even larger range loss even before hvac use.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No true. Consumer Reports just tested. For those interested in the full article, you should be able to access CR for free via your library's website.

Ford F-150 Lightning “Real Range” EV range

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Tesla's these days with heat pumps don't lose as much and I'm a fan boy, but they will lose more than reported. Real world experience as an owner is likely around 15% in North Texas, but if truly varies for every owner and situation. How harsh is the winter, garage kept, pre-conditioning, how hard is it still being driven, how many starts do you have during the day that you preheat for. You'll get some averages, but never a real number.

For the Lightning - i was actually impressed. I made a 500 mile round trip from Dallas to the middle of OK. 400 road miles and 100 local miles with many people test driving the truck and some nice pedal usage. My time on I-35 was at speeds from 75 to 82 and at the end of that 500 miles I was at 2.0 miles/kWh. Temps were high 80's/low 90's.
Sponsored