• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Announced! (essentially an all-electric Wrangler)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Chevy just announced more details of the upcoming Equinox EV-- Fall '23/Spring '24.

Not an exact comparison, but Ford better get on the ball.. compact/mid SUVs are a HOT competitive segment.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/equinox-ev
I would say that Ford is ahead of the curve compared Chevy and Jeep. The Mach-e is directly in this category, unless your focus is off road. But then the Equinox isn't really off road focused either.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I would say that Ford is ahead of the curve compared Chevy and Jeep. The Mach-e is directly in this category, unless your focus is off road. But then the Equinox isn't really off road focused either.
Maybe... the Mach E just doesn't do it for me.. either in styling or content. I REALLY wanted to like it but it felt more like a 4 door awd coupe/hatchback than an SUV. I know Ford is marketing it as an SUV but it didn't strike that vibe with me. Then again the Model Y doesn't strike a crossover/SUV vibe with me either.

The Equinox/Blazer EVs seem to be porportioned much more like a traditional crossover/small SUV. I think its aimed more at crV, Rav4, Escape, etc, whereas the MME is aimed towards the Model Y

(I felt cramped in the MME and did not like the way the back drops down to the rear of the vehicle. Just my opinion)

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Blazer EV has my eye if the Lightning doesn't pan out. I wanted the Lightning for it's home back up as the cost of a dedicated home battery that size helps me justify the cost. But if I don't get to order until 2024 and prices go up again then I can't make that justification anymore.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The Equinox starts at $30k, that's not in the same ballpark as the MME.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Stellantis is the last company I'd buy an EV from.

Why not? They have been making EVs for a while now, albeit mostly sold just in Europe.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The Equinox starts at $30k, that's not in the same ballpark as the MME.

Same segment, for sure. The Equinox will be a cheaper, less capable compact SUV but it’s still a compact SUV.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
it's home back up as the cost of a dedicated home battery that size helps me justify the cost
I’d be interested in your math on this, because it’s the opposite conclusion for me

The HIS in my view:

(1) provides less power than a single Tesla Powerwall

(2) for not a materially significant reduction in price (if including installation etc), probably $8-11K for the HIS vs $12-13K for the TP2

(3) requires the truck to be fully charged, home, and plugged in, to be of max value (but drains your ability to drive and move in a prolonged outage)

(4) most importantly becomes apparently a useless, ugly, and value-less brick should I decide to either sell the Lightning and/or sell my home to anyone without a lightning

the trade-offs above all made sense when it seemed the HIS would be nominal extra charge - but at ‘nearly’ the price of a single power wall it all went tits-up in my eyes

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Same segment, for sure. The Equinox will be a cheaper, less capable compact SUV but it’s still a compact SUV.
I mean, technically yes, if you consider a VW ID.4 and a Tesla Model X the same...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
At an earlier internal meeting at Jeep, they kicked around the idea of naming this the “Jronco” but later decided against it

Ford F-150 Lightning ⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Announced! (essentially an all-electric Wrangler) A07AEFEB-4A7F-483A-9348-55755C6509C9
Ford F-150 Lightning ⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Announced! (essentially an all-electric Wrangler) 70F39FE9-2C17-4BB0-94ED-CC6A838D01F4

This whole announcement is a real kick in the groin after a few years back teasing a BEV Wrangler instead this awesome:

Ford F-150 Lightning ⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Announced! (essentially an all-electric Wrangler) C3514D28-F7F3-4B35-BE25-ACF46FD3BE5D