• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Got bored and hadn't made anything with my 3d printer lately. I started messing around and made a pressure fit cover/cap for the pedestrian speaker. I didn't want to make it silent just knock it down a little. I was pretty successful but I wish I made the cap surface a little thicker to make it quieter for the reverse ping. I attached a couple pictures. It was a huge pain in the a** putting the speaker back in.

Ford F-150 Lightning πŸ”Š Pedestrian sound alert speaker suppressor πŸ”« IMG_20230129_164049

Ford F-150 Lightning πŸ”Š Pedestrian sound alert speaker suppressor πŸ”« IMG_20230129_164052

Ford F-150 Lightning πŸ”Š Pedestrian sound alert speaker suppressor πŸ”« IMG_20230129_164109

Ford F-150 Lightning πŸ”Š Pedestrian sound alert speaker suppressor πŸ”« IMG_20230129_164815

Ford F-150 Lightning πŸ”Š Pedestrian sound alert speaker suppressor πŸ”« IMG_20230129_170521
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Did you have to take it out in the first place?

If you get the thickness right, please post the .stl file. I'd be interested in giving it a try.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Did you have to take it out in the first place?

If you get the thickness right, please post the .stl file. I'd be interested in giving it a try.
Yeah i made it a pretty good pressure fit there's no way it's falling out that being said I had to persuaded into place with the handle of needle nose pliers so it had to be removed.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I’m sure it’s been posted already so apologies in advance but where the hell is that thing located?! I did the Frunk delete and it’s soo much better. Can’t find the pedestrian speaker tho

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I’m sure it’s been posted already so apologies in advance but where the hell is that thing located?! I did the Frunk delete and it’s soo much better. Can’t find the pedestrian speaker tho
Right behind the right tow hook on the front bumper

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Out of curiosity.... IF one were to have an accident in a low speed zone where the sound alert should have been activated and "they" find out that you tampered with this (safety) device... Exactly how much trouble would you be in ?

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but is it really worth the risk ?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Out of curiosity.... IF one were to have an accident in a low speed zone where the sound alert should have been activated and "they" find out that you tampered with this (safety) device... Exactly how much trouble would you be in ?
Potentially quite a bit of trouble... The pedestrian alert system is federally mandated. The reverse beep portion of it is not, that's Ford just adding extra. But just think about how this could be presented against you -- as in you tampered with a government-mandated safety feature, which likely contributed to a pedestrian not being fully aware of your vehicle, and resulting in an accident. I would not like to be in a court room in that scenario.

My biggest issue with all this, and I've seen others on here say the same, is that the federal government is treating EVs as the jump-in point for lots of new safety requirements. Same as automakers using EVs as the starting point for direct sales or other features that should have been available long-ago. Not only are they using EVs as the starting point for a lot of this new safety stuff, but they can't seem to agree on standards or requirements.

Back in 2006 (IIRC), Congress along with the USDOT, tasked themselves with figuring out just how quiet new vehicles were becoming. In particular, new hybrid vehicles. I saw this come up on these forums not long ago and looked into it a bit, don't recall all the specifics now. A couple government agencies and independent agencies were commissioned to study this and took part in all this. Findings were presented to Congress in 2011 and again, I think, in 2013. And then it just fizzled out and went nowhere. Until consumer concerns along with the IIHS felt that newer cars (ICE included, but predominantly PHEV/BEV vehicles) were too quiet to alert pedestrians. So now we have automakers being required to have audible warning systems added that operate at low speed. They only must be added to BEV and PHEV vehicles and the PHEV only have to emit the tone when operating under battery power -- even if they're just as silent when the motor is running.

Anyway, I wish we could disable the reverse beep or bong sound in the Lightning. I don't mind the low frequency tone as much as it's not so intrusive. And yet, there are situations where it would be nice to disable it as well, like off-roading, camping or whatever. It doesn't need to be a simple button on the dash or main screen. But maybe on a screen like where we select 1-pedal. Could turn off the audible warnings and they would automatically be back on again for the next drive.

This suppressor concept is an interesting approach though. I think it's more reasonable than simply eliminating the sound altogether. And could be defensible as to my knowledge there is no actual set standard or audible level requirement for pedestrian warning tones.

...I almost ordered that attachment thing that eliminates the external warnings. But just didn't do it yet, it's not necessarily the solution I'm looking for. I did remove my frunk beeper. That's just stupid. IMO, it only needs to emit a single modest beep when it's first told to close.. You know like any other hatch, trunk, etc.. I truly think Ford made it the way they did to draw attention.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer

Mr. Magoo, I share your perspective. I am a Licensed Professional Engineer, and I worked over 30 years in Engineering, Design, Safety, and Construction for a Fortune 100 company. Unfortunately, I was involved in investigating several fatalities and permanent disability injuries where equipment safety devices were removed or modified. I have provided expert testimony in legal proceedings involving fatalities and disabling injuries caused by the lack of adequate safety devices.

The Engineers who designed the equipment provide safety devices for a reason. I would never remove or alter a safety device. Beyond the liability, it would be difficult to live with myself if someone were to be injured as a result of me taking such actions.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe that one would be exposing themselves to personal liability for publishing instructions to others on how to disable or modify a safety device.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

My wife was hit by a van at low speed when she was crossing the street and years later, she is still suffering from it every day. May be we should think about what will happen to someone else if I mute this.

I was backing up my Pro the other day in a parking lot in a middle of an event when ton of people were walking behind the truck. Even with the back up and low speed noise, it took me a while to get out of there without running someone over. I am very sensitive to noise and I could do without Frunk noise but I don't find low speed and back up noise annoying enough to reduce it (may be because my windows are up this time of the year). I think it is worth it for the few occasions when you really need it.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Got bored and hadn't made anything with my 3d printer lately. I started messing around and made a pressure fit cover/cap for the pedestrian speaker. I didn't want to make it silent just knock it down a little. I was pretty successful but I wish I made the cap surface a little thicker to make it quieter for the reverse ping. I attached a couple pictures. It was a huge pain in the a** putting the speaker back in.

IMG_20230129_164049.jpg

IMG_20230129_164052.jpg

IMG_20230129_164109.jpg

IMG_20230129_164815.jpg

IMG_20230129_170521.jpg
Can you share the .STL?

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I have heard the reverse bong in my truck, but haven't heard the low-speed sound. My wife's EV6 has a loud spaceship sound, so I'm curious about what the truck is supposed to sound like.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This suppressor concept is an interesting approach though. I think it's more reasonable than simply eliminating the sound altogether. And could be defensible as to my knowledge there is no actual set standard or audible level requirement for pedestrian warning tones.
https://megaohmmotorsports.bigcartel.com/product/f150-external-speaker-bypass-premium-rc-edition

The person responsible for that is a friend of the forum and the person responsible for figuring out the Frunk speaker location for all of us. That product allows you to have the sound always on unless you disable it. Next time you turn on your truck the sound is back on.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Do people really struggle to notice something as large as an F-150? I disabled mine, and I simply don't see it truly impacting me/others. I also don't live in a very dense either, so I always have space in a parking lot, I always drive slow. If I'm worried people can't hear me, I slow down as appropriate including to a crawl. I disabled it because I just hate all the extra noise, 80% of the time it's just me and the truck, no pedestrians.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
https://megaohmmotorsports.bigcartel.com/product/f150-external-speaker-bypass-premium-rc-edition

The person responsible for that is a friend of the forum and the person responsible for figuring out the Frunk speaker location for all of us. That product allows you to have the sound always on unless you disable it. Next time you turn on your truck the sound is back on.
Oooh... I didn't realize they have a newer version with wireless control. Last I looked it was just the bypass. Might just be what I'm looking for.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Oooh... I didn't realize they have a newer version with wireless control. Last I looked it was just the bypass. Might just be what I'm looking for.
Yeah, having it always come on, but having an option to disable temporarily seems perfect.
Sponsored