• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

✅ 10/24 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023)

stealthzr1

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning, 2021 gt500
Tax credit here I come. Was not expecting delivery this year… it was never marked shipped on the ford tracker, it showed up randomly last night on the dealers lot. Truck had a 10/28 blend and didn’t get marked built till 12/9. Merry Christmas

Ford F-150 Lightning ✅ 10/24 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023) B9550438-9F6A-4F1E-B587-1710C1F37C95
Sponsored

indubitalist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Pro
I'm about to go on my first road trip with my SR Lightning, a 488-mile trip from A to B. I was planning to make two stops, since the truck is rated for 240 miles, and 240+240 is less than 488. I'm pretty confident the 240 rating is a mix of highway and city miles, with city getting better fuel economy, anyway. I figured maybe I'd stop at 200 miles, then stop again at the 400-mile mark, then I'd get to my destination well before needing to charge a third time.

I read on Ford's site that I should try the FordPass app to plan my charging stops, which I did, and it recommends I stop four times to charge. A trip that would take 7 hours in a gas-powered car with maybe one 10-minute stop for gas is estimated to take 9 hours at 14 minutes, including charging time. I'm surprised it's going to take this long and have this many stops. Have any of you been through this "recalibration of expectations" I'm experiencing? Is the FordPass app just being needlessly conservative about the charging plan?

Edit: It seems, having scrutinized the plan it prepared, that it's prioritizing shorter stops over fewer stops.

Leg 1: Starting at 100%, it has me drive 131 miles then stop and charge from 29% to 71% in 17 minutes.
Leg 2: 114 miles then stop and charge from 10% to 56% in 18 minutes.
Leg 3: 86 miles then charge from 10% to 54% in 17 minutes.
Leg 4: 82 miles then charge from 10% to 63% in 21 minutes.
Leg 5: 91 miles then charge from 10% to 63% in 21 minutes.

Seems to me I could easily cut one of those legs off of the trip by stopping for longer. Why wouldn't I just stop for longer at the end of Leg 2 and charge from 10% to 100% instead of 10% to 54%? Then I could do Leg 3 and Leg 4 in one long stretch, right?

Last edited:

JoeF985

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Pilot
Tax credit here I come. Was not expecting delivery this year… it was never marked shipped on the ford tracker, it showed up randomly last night on the dealers lot. Truck had a 10/28 blend and didn’t get marked built till 12/9. Merry Christmas

B9550438-9F6A-4F1E-B587-1710C1F37C95.jpeg

Congrats! I've also been built since 12/9 but awaiting shipment. Where are you located? I'm hoping mine got mysteriously put on a truck and is enroute. Did your dealer have any idea it was on the way?

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
I'm about to go on my first road trip with my SR Lightning, a 488-mile trip from A to B. I was planning to make two stops, since the truck is rated for 240 miles, and 240+240 is less than 488. I'm pretty confident the 240 rating is a mix of highway and city miles, with city getting better fuel economy, anyway. I figured maybe I'd stop at 200 miles, then stop again at the 400-mile mark, then I'd get to my destination well before needing to charge a third time.

I read on Ford's site that I should try the FordPass app to plan my charging stops, which I did, and it recommends I stop four times to charge. A trip that would take 7 hours in a gas-powered car with maybe one 10-minute stop for gas is estimated to take 9 hours at 14 minutes, including charging time. I'm surprised it's going to take this long and have this many stops. Have any of you been through this "recalibration of expectations" I'm experiencing? Is the FordPass app just being needlessly conservative about the charging plan?

Edit: It seems, having scrutinized the plan it prepared, that it's prioritizing shorter stops over fewer stops.

Leg 1: Starting at 100%, it has me drive 131 miles then stop and charge from 29% to 71% in 17 minutes.

Seems to me I could easily cut one of those legs off of the trip by stopping for longer. Why wouldn't I just stop for longer at the end of Leg 2 and charge from 10% to 100% instead of 10% to 54%? Then I could do Leg 3 and Leg 4 in one long stretch, right?
Are you familiar with the app, “A better route planner”? If find it calculates significantly better route plans than the ford pass app. You can configure a lot more in ABRP. For example, you can set it to only stop at EA, where Ford pass may have you stop at some random lower power charger.

Last edited:

shadycoh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
if you can make a 500 mile trip in a car with only 1 10min rest/fuel you are a a lot younger than I am or your bladder is way bigger.

Sponsored

stealthzr1

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning, 2021 gt500
Congrats! I've also been built since 12/9 but awaiting shipment. Where are you located? I'm hoping mine got mysteriously put on a truck and is enroute. Did your dealer have any idea it was on the way?
Thanks. No they didn’t know. He said this is his first f150 that this happened to. He said it’s usually the bronco’s that have that issue. He was driving by the dealership and saw the truck camped out. The dealer is located in eastford Connecticut. Bowens garage. Hands down the best dealer you will have the pleasure of buying a vehicle from. No greed, all about customer relations and being fair.

it’s been a flawless transaction with them. The only downfall is that since it didn’t show shipped with ford I didn’t get the ball rolling on financing. I JUST got an account set up with parsons but they couldn’t close before year end, so I had to finance with ford just to get the deal done. I can refinance with parson next year for the better rate. I had the $8500 private offer. I’m picking up the truck this afternoon.

Last edited:

indubitalist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you familiar with the app, “A better route planner”? If find it calculates significantly better route plans than the ford pass app. You can configure a lot more in ABRP. For example, you can set it to only stop at EA, where Ford pass may have you stop at some random lower power charger.
I hadn't heard of this app -- I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Edit: First attempt at plotting a route shaved an hour off of the Ford estimate, taking a very different route with a toll road segment, but it also stops four times to charge... I guess that must be realistic.

Last edited:

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I hadn't heard of this app -- I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Edit: First attempt at plotting a route shaved an hour off of the Ford estimate, taking a very different route with a toll road segment, but it also stops four times to charge... I guess that must be realistic.
You can play with the preferences. It allows you to set a preference for fewer long stops or more short ones. You’ll also want to get Plugshare and check that the chargers it is routing you to are up and running.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Charge time increases dramatically after 80% (and again at 90%). My napkin math showed that going from 80-90% was going to take as long it it took getting to 80% from 15% on my one road trip so far. My advice is to plan to only charge to 80% if you want to minimize time stopped.

Sponsored

djpegg65

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning

Same thing with me built 12/9. It sat for a bit and eventually it was shipped on a truck from Dearborn to Westborough MA in 24 hours. The dealer was surprised how quickly it showed up! Delivered 12/23 and picked up 12/24. My Christmas present!

OP
OP
TaxmanHog

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Same thing with me built 12/9. It sat for a bit and eventually it was shipped on a truck from Dearborn to Westborough MA in 24 hours. The dealer was surprised how quickly it showed up! Delivered 12/23 and picked up 12/24. My Christmas present!
Welcome fellow -masshole-, hopefully your truck will qualify for the Mass EV Truck credit, check out this tread, PM if you would like personal Q&A about the program, or chime in on the following thread: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/mass-mor-ev-trucks-rebate.8286/

indubitalist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charge time increases dramatically after 80% (and again at 90%). My napkin math showed that going from 80-90% was going to take as long it it took getting to 80% from 15% on my one road trip so far. My advice is to plan to only charge to 80% if you want to minimize time stopped.
Yeah, I think this must be why the apps are doing so many stops. Since it's my first road trip, it's also my first time using a high-amp charger. I'm used to charging at the same pace whether the battery is at 1% or 99%. I had no idea the drop-off was so steep: My first charger went from 160kW to 40kW when it hit 80%. The others did similar things. Taking (assuming it's linear) four times as long to charge as before is a huge incentive to charge only to 80% then move on when on a road trip where time is a factor. For the SR battery 80% means a range of 192 miles. I found out through experimenting that the truck seems to only match the target MPGe when you're going 65 mph. Slower increases it, faster decreases it, uphill/downhill obviously also affect it. It seems like I could get 300 or more miles per charge if I was only going 45 mph.

indubitalist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I figured something out that I think many of us with iPhones (maybe Androids, too) may benefit from as new owners, regarding CarPlay, the truck's AT&T WiFi Hotspot feature and Ford Streaming. I don't want to subscribe to yet another monthly service (Ford Streaming/Alexa) on top of the hotspot, so I did this:
1. Went into CarPlay settings on my iPhone
2. Selected my vehicle and the "forget" button
3. Plugged my phone into the USB port under the truck's touchscreen/AC controls
4. When asked how I want to connect to CarPlay, selected "USB only"

Now whenever I get near/into the truck I don't have to do the dancefight I was doing every time of force-quitting the CarPlay WiFi connection (often repeatedly), then connecting to the truck's hotspot, then playing music using the truck's touchscreen. I just have to plug in the phone and it works, since the phone now auto-connects to the truck's WiFi instead of CarPlay seizing the connection and blocking hotspot access.

I was doing this because my music is on my Plex server at home, so I use PlexAmp to play music through the truck's touchscreen. The truck's hotspot has unlimited data, whereas my phone does not, so it makes sense having the truck bear the burden of that data.

I also love that the truck won't be seizing my phone calls if I'm near the truck anymore. I've had two awkward "hold on, technical issues" moments on calls in just the last day because the phone decided to hand off the call to the truck... while I wasn't in the truck. Since I declined wireless CarPlay access, it won't do this until the phone is plugged in.

It would be great if I could have the elegance of just getting into the truck and wireless access working both for CarPlay and to connect my phone to the truck's hotspot, but it's one or the other, and the random phone connecting to CarPlay mid-call issues put me over the edge.

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Morning all. Been busy this holiday season but I'm back on the tracking wagon.

UserNameLocationBuild WeekBlend DateIn Production DateBuiltShippedEstimated Arrival DateArrival DateTrimBattery
SorryElonMN10/24/202210/27/202210/27/202211/30/202211/16/2022LariatER
claybird22AL10/24/202210/27/202210/27/202211/5/202211/8/202211/28/2022ProSR
jajar1124NJ10/24/202210/28/202210/28/202211/7/2022XLTSR
OregonalOR10/24/202210/28/202210/28/202211/30/202212/4/2022LariatER

@SorryElon @claybird22 @Jajar1124 Any updates from you all?

@Oregonal I see your truck was delivered. Did it arrive before the new year?
Sponsored