• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Just checked the inside dimensions. Data listed below are front/back.

Lightning:
headroom: 40.8/40.4
legroom: 43.9/43.6 <= it says max, don't know what that means
hiproom: 62.5/62.6
shoulderroom: 66.7/66

R1T:
headroom: 41.1/38.1
legroom: 41.4/36.6. <= less than RAV4
hiproom: 54.9/54.2
shoulderroom: 60.6/59
Sponsored

Last edited:

chirocam

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner --> Ford 150 Lightning Lariat, Agate Black
Occupation
Chiropractic Physician
I came back to visit this thread after having driven a Rivian yesterday.

In my mind, I was convinced Iā€™d prefer the Rivian due to easier parking, turning radius, and the fact itā€™d fit in my garage. I donā€™t love having to park outside in FL; itā€™s hurricane season, after all. I also like the thought of another couple hundred HP to the wheels.

I agree with all of OPā€™s assessment.

Iā€™ve had my Lightning Lariat ER for a month now, put around 2000 miles on it. The difference in ride comfort and noise is strikingly different in one versus the other. The Lightning is WAY, WAY quieter and smoother than the R1T.

I donā€™t know if it matters much, but the R1T had the 21ā€ road tires on it. I prefer their 20ā€ AT setup and wonder if the ride would be smoother. Iā€™ll see if I can find one around town to test.

The Rivian is fast, no doubt, but since both trucks are governed and the R1T is only one second fasterā€¦ it isnā€™t enough for me to want to switch. Also, the Rivian motor noise is way louder than those under the Lightning. Sounds a little go-cartish.

I drive a lot for work, so comfort wins for me. Now to get a house in which my truck fitsā€¦

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

Lightning:

R1T:
legroom: 41.4/36.6

As someone of bigger stature...the increase in hiproom and shoulder room is a big benefit of the Lightning.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I donā€™t know if it matters much, but the R1T had the 21ā€ road tires on it. I prefer their 20ā€ AT setup and wonder if the ride would be smoother. Iā€™ll see if I can find one around town to test.
car and driver found the AT to cause a 30% range reduction in a 75mph test ā€¦ if that sways your thinking

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
Rivian legroom is even less than compact SUV actually which I donā€™t like.
My wife is 5' tall and when we drove the Rivian she didn't like the fact that there was no running board/step option for getting in and out and when she adjusted the seat for her height to get visibility, her heel wouldn't touch the ground because the "gas" pedal isn't adjustable.

A few weeks later we got our Lightning and she much prefers it. Before driving both I would have bet the farm that she would have preferred the Rivian.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
As someone of bigger stature...the increase in hiproom and shoulder room is a big benefit of the Lightning.
same, plus to add: the F150 platformā€™s back seat legroom is huge, and an under-appreciated gem for those of us with multiple car seats/children

as a big guy, I can put the driverā€™s seat where I want it, and the kidā€™s carseats still arenā€™t touching the back of my chair, by many inches.

not to mention I can fit 3 carseats across the F150ā€™s back seat, which the Rivianā€™s 59ā€ back seat almost certainly can not accommodate

understanding these toddler metrics are relevant to very few EV truck owners - but I actually think Fire under-markets the F150ā€™s advantages for families

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Does the Rivianā€™s back seat(s) fold up?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
same, plus to add: the F150 platformā€™s back seat legroom is huge, and an under-appreciated gem for those of us with multiple car seats/children

as a big guy, I can put the driverā€™s seat where I want it, and the kidā€™s carseats still arenā€™t touching the back of my chair, by many inches.

not to mention I can fit 3 carseats across the F150ā€™s back seat, which the Rivianā€™s 59ā€ back seat almost certainly can not accommodate

understanding these toddler metrics are relevant to very few EV truck owners - but I actually think Fire under-markets the F150ā€™s advantages for families
I was also very surprised at the floor space you can get if you fold the rear seats up. The plastic foldable bin notwithstanding, there is a HUGE flat floor space..as large as many SUVs. My two dogs could fit back there with ease.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
The plastic foldable bin notwithstanding
My 2018 didnā€™t have this new version, and while Iā€™ve not messed with it much (again, the car seats keep me out) it seems ā€¦ awkward.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2018 didnā€™t have this new version, and while Iā€™ve not messed with it much (again, the car seats keep me out) it seems ā€¦ awkward.
It is foldable..but there is a slight hump on the floor. I actually would prefer it NOT there, just empty flat carpeted space.

It is removeable on the 22's, but the way it is bolted means it is nearly impossible to get the mounting bolts out. I guess if you wanted to make it permanent you could dremel them off..but...seems like a PITA

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
It is foldable..but there is a slight hump on the floor. I actually would prefer it NOT there, just empty flat carpeted space.
the smaller one in the ā€˜18, with the same depth as the folded-up seat, was perfectly fine in my case. It ate up no real useable floor space (because the folded seats were just above), but gave a bit of room to put some gear that wouldnā€™t roll around.

It is removeable on the 22's, but the way it is bolted means it is nearly impossible to get the mounting bolts out. I guess if you wanted to make it permanent you could dremel them off..but...seems like a PITA
big WTF

Makes me realize, before I installed the car seats I didnā€™t try the ā€˜22ā€™s rear seat fold forward configuration

does it still provide a pretty flat shelf?

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

Lightning:

R1T:
legroom: 41.4/36.6

3 car seats for me. Hip room is everything. If you plan to have 5 humans in the vehicle the rivian is a no go. Cool truck, never considered it for that reason.

OP
OP

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
I came back to visit this thread after having driven a Rivian yesterday.

In my mind, I was convinced Iā€™d prefer the Rivian due to easier parking, turning radius, and the fact itā€™d fit in my garage. I donā€™t love having to park outside in FL; itā€™s hurricane season, after all. I also like the thought of another couple hundred HP to the wheels.

I agree with all of OPā€™s assessment.

Iā€™ve had my Lightning Lariat ER for a month now, put around 2000 miles on it. The difference in ride comfort and noise is strikingly different in one versus the other. The Lightning is WAY, WAY quieter and smoother than the R1T.

The Rivian is fast, no doubt, but since both trucks are governed and the R1T is only one second fasterā€¦ it isnā€™t enough for me to want to switch. Also, the Rivian motor noise is way louder than those under the Lightning. Sounds a little go-cartish.

I drive a lot for work, so comfort wins for me. Now to get a house in which my truck fitsā€¦
I sold my Lightning and the biggest influence in my decision was efficiency as the smaller physical size of the R1T helps there. My experience was that between 80% - 20% soc my R1T was good for another 30 miles. And with the cold climate here that's a real factor, if I lived further south I'd have probably kept the Lighting. I think Ford nailed the Lightning
Sponsored