• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Is Even Quicker Than Expected
At 4.0 seconds flat to 60 mph, Lightning is a very appropriate name.

Ford F-150 Lightning 0-60 in 4.0s and 1/4 Mile in 12.7s for 2022 F-150 Lightning Platinum in real life performance testing! Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 9.35.23 AM

• We've just tested a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning, a top Platinum trim with a $93,609 sticker price.
  • It's far and away quicker than any other F-150, running neck and neck with a Mustang Mach 1 through the quarter-mile.
  • It's also far quieter than other F-150s and more than 300 pounds lighter than a Rivian R1T, but the brakes faded significantly during our testing.
It's hard to imagine anyone not being blown away by the heroic shove of the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning's two electric motors making a combined 580 horsepower and 775 pound-feet of torque. Nail the throttle from rest and 60 mph arrives in 4.0 seconds flat, on its way to a 12.7-second quarter-mile at 107 mph, just before it hits its 110-mph governed top speed.

Our test vehicle was a top-trim Platinum that includes the larger, 131.0-kWh battery pack, and, with a couple of minor options, wore a sticker price of $93,609. The performance of this first electric F-150 positively dominates any other in Ford's truck lineup, including the Raptor, by more than a second in either metric. Even a Mach-E GT is no quicker in the quarter-mile. And a Mustang Mach 1 would have to be exceptionally well driven to open up the narrowest of gaps in the quarter. The Rivian R1T is substantially quicker—nearly a second in the quarter-mile—and is still the quickest pickup we’ve ever tested. But, surprisingly, in our 30–50-mph and 50–70-mph passing tests, the Lightning essentially ties the Rivian (0.1 second quicker in the former, and 0.1 second slower in the latter). Where the R1T's 908 pound-feet of torque is ramped in smoothly, the Lightning's 775 pound-feet hits hard when smacking the accelerator, to the point that it chirps the front tires at speeds up to 30 mph or so, which tends to generate spontaneous giggles from the power-drunk pilot standing on the pedal.

Braking was a different story, with the Lightning's stoppers fading significantly during our six-stop routine from 70 mph. Although it delivered a solid 180-foot stop (we report the second-best number of the six), after the third one a warning light came on to indicate the brakes were overheating, along with significant fade and smoke, to the point that the truck couldn't keep ABS engaged on the later stops. Although our test may seem extreme, it gives us pause about using the upper reaches of the Lightning's maximum 10,000-pound towing capacity (8500 pounds max for Platinum trims like ours). Many other pickups handle the abuse without complaint, including the heavier Rivian.

That's right: at 6855 pounds, our top-trim Lightning Platinum, 1500-pound battery pack and all, weighed more than 300 pounds less than the smaller R1T. That's also within 100 pounds of a Ram 1500 TRX. Until now, we never thought we'd be impressed by the mass of anything this heavy. But, in light of the Hummer EV's 9000-pound curb weight, the Lightning is practically a Miata. (That might be overstating it, but the Lightning is nearly a Miata lighter than the Hummer).

In addition to being the quickest F-150, the Lightning is also the quietest. We measured a mere 65 decibels at a steady 70-mph cruise. That's solidly quieter than both the R1T and any other F-150. Although some may think all EVs are similarly silent, wind and road noise are still significant factors at highway speeds, and the hulking Lighting pulls off the impressive feat of being quieter than any Tesla we've ever tested.

Maximum cornering certainly isn't the Lightning's forte, but it put up a decent 0.77 g on the skidpad, which is in the ballpark with other full-size trucks.

Get it pointed in a straight line, though, and prepare to be wowed.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40120063/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-tested-acceleration/
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That is very impressive - especially for a Platinum! Lariat and XLT ERs should be slightly FASTER due to lighter weight and less rotating mass (wheels+tires).

I really want to see a drag race between a Lightning ER and a Mach-e GT PE.

and a Lightning vs. a TRX.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I love that it ended up being quieter than all the rest. I am older now, and prefer quiet when I am driving, having a casual normal voice conversation with my wife and kids.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I love that it ended up being quieter than all the rest. I am older now, and prefer quiet when I am driving, having a casual normal voice conversation with my wife and kids.
I never bothered with a good sound system in my trucks. This may change my mind.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Alright new data, and it's good!

For reference, the MachE GT performance does 0-60 in 3.7 and the 1/4 comes in 12.7 @ 101 mph. It's nice to see that Ford does not kneecap the truck after 5 seconds of acceleration.

To see it neck and neck with the R1T in a more real-world 50-70 pass is very encouraging. This is one of the most satisfying and useful stats regarding how you're likely to use the power available.

I wonder if the Lariat ER or XLT ER would fare better than the Platinum's measured tests due to slightly less weight and smaller (lighter?) wheels+tires. I also wonder if they could crack into the 3's in 0-60 with a set of performance tires.

It is a bit disappointing to hear about the handling not being much better than the ICE counterpart. I'd have thought the 4-wheel independent suspension and lower CG would have made it more competitive. I guess it still has relatively low spring rates, cushy dampers and highway tires.

I am not too concerned with braking. Better pads and tires make a world of difference and should hopefully be relatively inexpensive if they are shared with the ICE trucks. I know the rotors are larger on the Lightning. Even my Model S had lousy stopping distance until I upgraded the pads and put on performance all season tires.

I am also jazzed about the quiet cabin. I have done some sound damping work to my Model S and it is great, but I have a feeling the Lightning will be quieter still. +1 on stereo upgrades!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Braking was a different story, with the Lightning's stoppers fading significantly during our six-stop routine from 70 mph. Although it delivered a solid 180-foot stop (we report the second-best number of the six), after the third one a warning light came on to indicate the brakes were overheating, along with significant fade and smoke, to the point that the truck couldn't keep ABS engaged on the later stops. Although our test may seem extreme, it gives us pause about using the upper reaches of the Lightning's maximum 10,000-pound towing capacity (8500 pounds max for Platinum trims like ours). Many other pickups handle the abuse without complaint, including the heavier Rivian.
That is interesting. I wonder what the state of charge was? I know a lot of EVs will limit the amount of regen you get under braking if your battery is at too high of a state of charge. Was that a factor?

I would also like to know the 60 MPH stopping distance, as the regular F150 is 129 feet.

It is strange that this truck as tested seems worse than the standard F150 (guesstimate) whereas our Kia Soul EV - which is heaver than the regular Kia Soul - has a much shorter stopping distance because of the regen braking.

I would have expected the braking on the lightning to be better.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Interesting that it's neck and neck with the Rivian in the passing tests. I've always liked those best to gauge day-to-day driving performance. When I'm really looking for some get-up-and-go it's usually when I'm passing in the 30-70mph range.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
That is interesting. I wonder what the state of charge was? I know a lot of EVs will limit the amount of regen you get under braking if your battery is at too high of a state of charge. Was that a factor?

I would also like to know the 60 MPH stopping distance, as the regular F150 is 129 feet.

It is strange that this truck as tested seems worse than the standard F150 (guesstimate) whereas our Kia Soul EV - which is heaver than the regular Kia Soul - has a much shorter stopping distance because of the regen braking.

I would have expected the braking on the lightning to be better.
It's a good point about regen, but I guess it depends on how much the braking distance was limited by the tires vs. the brakes. If it's the tires, additional regen won't really help.

Here is a reference for other trucks 70-0 from this site: https://www.carindigo.com/ford/f-150/0to60. The F150 here is a 6.5 ft XL with the 3.3l. The Lightning measures up here at least.

Ford F-150 Lightning 0-60 in 4.0s and 1/4 Mile in 12.7s for 2022 F-150 Lightning Platinum in real life performance testing! 1654184282011

But this site says the 2021 Powerboost 70-0 is 148 ft: https://www.evpulse.com/news/2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-xlt-acceleration-and-braking-performance-tested

I agree that with a lot of "go" you also need a lot of "whoa."

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Interesting that it's neck and neck with the Rivian in the passing tests. I've always liked those best to gauge day-to-day driving performance. When I'm really looking for some get-up-and-go it's usually when I'm passing in the 30-70mph range.
I agree 100%. 3 second 0-60 is fun to impress first time passengers but I would prefer more torque at highway speeds.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Agreed. Now if I can just get some real asphalt on all the roads around here instead of potholes and chip n seal, I’ll be able to enjoy that quiet too!

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Ford doesn't have access to big brakes for F-150s?
EVs are heavy and get up to high speeds in short distances … seems obvious to up the stoppers.

I'm sure they're fine for towing (no problems in my Hybrid) but it seems to me Ford must have encountered the brake limits and somehow decided it wasn't worth so much as a better rotor and pad?

Tesla has always had terribly inadequate brakes. Rivian has great brakes (and the R1T is a lot quicker than a Tesla Model 3 Performance.) It didn't occur to me that Ford wouldn't upgrade the brakes on the Lightning.

aquapools

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat and 2018 Ford Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Would the Lariat with the Extended Range battery be quicker than the Platinum considering the wheels are lighter and the diameter of the tire is 20 inches instead of 22 ?

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
I agree 100%. 3 second 0-60 is fun to impress first time passengers but I would prefer more torque at highway speeds.
I've driven one, its shockingly fast-- thats McLearn / Porsche GT3 territory.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Would the Lariat with the Extended Range battery be quicker than the Platinum considering the wheels are lighter and the diameter of the tire is 20 inches instead of 22 ?
Pro ER will be the fastest...all those fleet drivers are going to be tooling around in sub-4s trucks.
Sponsored