• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
0.7 mi/kWh with a 8x11x26, 5000 pound trailer at highway speeds and ~1000 foot elevation gain.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
They should have used a PB

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A Oxford White (on order)
As much as I am for electric vehicles, we are just not ready for electric trucks for anything outside of "around town" real world usage. But I think we all knew that already.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As much as I am for electric vehicles, we are just not ready for electric trucks for anything outside of "around town" real world usage. But I think we all knew that already.
No, they are fine for road trips as long as you are not towing.

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Moral of the story, be honest with what your normal driving habits are. If you tow campers and long trips...this is not the truck for you.
My family has a camp site exactly 45 miles from my house. I keep thinking about what my SR XLT can do, in relation to the site.

Could I get there and back towing a camper on one charge? What if I am there a few days and want to use the on-board power for stuff throughout my stay? The closest charger to the site will be my house, 45 miles away, since it is in a rural area. It's actually kind of an adventure, I look forward to seeing what I can and can't do, based on the truck's limitations.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, they are fine for road trips as long as you are not towing.
Right....so using it as a truck. I realize that many truck owners primarily use their trucks for Costco runs, but some of us actually have boats and travel trailers. Again, I'm not shitting on EVs, but even if you just consider the lack of aerodynamic efficiency, a Electric Truck is a poor choice for anything beyond around town.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My family has a camp site exactly 45 miles from my house. I keep thinking about what my SR XLT can do, in relation to the site.

Could I get there and back towing a camper on one charge? What if I am there a few days and want to use the on-board power for stuff throughout my stay? The closest charger to the site will be my house, 45 miles away, since it is in a rural area. It's actually kind of an adventure, I look forward to seeing what I can and can't do, based on the truck's limitations.
Subbed for updates, I recommend wearing comfortable shoes.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Surprised they are towing a trailer that heavy with no weight distribution hitch or sway bar (or a all-in-one combo). Truck specs requires a WDH if the tongue weight is over 500 lbs. So unless there is something special about that trailer that it is less than 10% on tongue (6k lb trailer as stated so that's hard to believe) then their setups are not correct or safe. Sway can can impact range as well which they were complaining a little bit about as well.. probably due to the poor hitch setup.

(I was corrected later on in this thread. Trailers were safe.)

Toy hauler trailers are taller than normal travel trailers typically (as stated at 12ft). Certainly impacted the aero some with this setup.

But yes, Lightning is not a convenient 100+ mile tower. This we knew coming into this video.

Last edited:

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I drive 80 miles round trip to work. I don't call that "around town." The truck is perfect for me, driving 20k miles plus each year. Have had several > 200 mile days since owning without any problem.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Right....so using it as a truck. I realize that many truck owners primarily use their trucks for Costco runs, but some of us actually have boats and travel trailers. Again, I'm not shitting on EVs, but even if you just consider the lack of aerodynamic efficiency, a Electric Truck is a poor choice for anything beyond around town.
Trucks are trucks to haul things. That is what the bed is for. Towing is a bonus.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I drive 80 miles round trip to work. I don't call that "around town." The truck is perfect for me, driving 20k miles plus each year. Have had several > 200 mile days since owning without any problem.
I have no doubt it's a great commuter vehicle. I am talking about using it as a TRUCK to tow or haul, as this is the point of this thread. Why do yall keep missing this point?

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado
Occupation
Construction
I'm waiting for the video where they spell out the cost savings for someone like you. Where the actual cost per mile difference between gas and electric (charged at HOME!) is calculated.
Anybody who bought a Lightning to regularly tow large trailers long distances didn't do their research.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lighting ER
Occupation
Auto Tester
Surprised they are towing a trailer that heavy with no weight distribution hitch or sway bar (or a all-in-one combo). Truck specs requires a WDH if the tongue weight is over 500 lbs. So unless there is something special about that trailer that it is less than 10% on tongue (6k lb trailer as stated so that's hard to believe) then their setups are not correct or safe. Sway can can impact range as well which they were complaining a little bit about as well.. probably due to the poor hitch setup.

Those toy hauler trailers are extra tall too at 12+ft; normally a travel trailer is 9.5-10.5 ft . Certainly nearly worse case for aero issues in this setup + the hitch problems described above impacted this tested.

But yes, Lightning is not a convenient 100+ mile tower. This we knew coming into this video.
We were right on the limit for needing weight distribution bars. We couldn't add them as these are not our trailers. I will say after doing these tow tests on just about every truck for the last 12 years I can say this was far from unsafe. Andre mentioned a slight sway event at the beginning, this was quickly fixed by lowering speeds below 65. From there on out it performed wonderfully with no sway. Thanks for watching all!
Sponsored