• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

120 Volt Ford Mobile Connect Charge "Curve"

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly
First, let me say that my driving lifestyle is normally a couple of short low speed local trips of less than 50 miles each per week. I just used up my once a year 1,000 mile road trip last week returning from Dearborn.

I assume that the lowest possible charge rate is the most efficient and battery-friendly thing to do if your lifestyle allows it.

I have not yet installed the Ford Pro 80 Amp Charger in my Maintenance Building and had been charging through my 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 at the house with the Ford Mobile Connect Charger.

This week I have been parking my Lariat ER at a Barn about 3/4 miles away across my farm which has only a 120 Volt 20 Amp outlet available. That has allowed me to monitor the charge rates. I am sure there are many other people out there that, for now, are stuck with only a 120 Volt outlet in their garage or apartment carport.

My latest session went like this:

Start 72% (94 of 131 KW) Range Guess 258 Miles

+22 Hrs. 88% (116 of 131 KW) Range Guess 302 Miles
44 Miles Added with 22 kWh - 2.0 M/kWh - 1.0 KW/Hr.

+18 Hrs. 100% (131 of 131 KW) Range Guess 350 Miles
48 Miles Added with 15 kWh - 3.2 M/kWh - 0.83 KW/Hr.

This is much different than the DC Fast and 50 Amp Charge Curves I have seen published.

I also have noticed that the Estimated Target Range on Ford Pass increases as the session nears 100%.

In my last two trips to town my Total Range on my Trip Meter (Distance Driven + Future Range) has increased by about 10 miles each time (Prior to the above charge session I showed 365 Miles Total).

I do try to stay under 45 mph, use Adaptive Cruise, and 100% Brake Coach.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
First, let me say that my driving lifestyle is normally a couple of short low speed local trips of less than 50 miles each per week. I just used up my once a year 1,000 mile road trip last week returning from Dearborn.

I assume that the lowest possible charge rate is the most efficient and battery-friendly thing to do if your lifestyle allows it.

I have not yet installed the Ford Pro 80 Amp Charger in my Maintenance Building and had been charging through my 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 at the house with the Ford Mobile Connect Charger.

This week I have been parking my Lariat ER at a Barn about 3/4 miles away across my farm which has only a 120 Volt 20 Amp outlet available. That has allowed me to monitor the charge rates. I am sure there are many other people out there that, for now, are stuck with only a 120 Volt outlet in their garage or apartment carport.

My latest session went like this:

Start 72% (94 of 131 KW) Range Guess 258 Miles

+22 Hrs. 88% (116 of 131 KW) Range Guess 302 Miles
44 Miles Added with 22 kWh - 2.0 M/kWh - 1.0 KW/Hr.

+18 Hrs. 100% (131 of 131 KW) Range Guess 350 Miles
48 Miles Added with 15 kWh - 3.2 M/kWh - 0.83 KW/Hr.

This is much different than the DC Fast and 50 Amp Charge Curves I have seen published.

I also have noticed that the Estimated Target Range on Ford Pass increases as the session nears 100%.

In my last two trips to town my Total Range on my Trip Meter (Distance Driven + Future Range) has increased by about 10 miles each time (Prior to the above charge session I showed 365 Miles Total).

I do try to stay under 45 mph, use Adaptive Cruise, and 100% Brake Coach.
Three things to note

1) 120V charging is the least efficient way to charge your truck because of the associated overhead. 120V is worst than 240V which is worst than DC fast charging in terms of efficiency

2) in terms of battery longevity, there is really isn't any difference between 120V and 240V. Both are better than DC fast charging.

3) The charging curve makes sense. The only reason to not charge at the maximum rate available to the vehicle is to either control battery temps (largely on DC fast charging) or to make sure you don't overshoot (near 100%). Plus batteries don't like to charge fast when nearly full. 120V charging is so slow that it doesn't really hit either of these conditions until just about 100%. However you will see variations in rate as the truck has to use power to heat or cool the battery - or just check for updates. 120V is so little that lots of little variances will show up in the rate.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I really doubt there is a "curve" for charging at 120VAC as there is no benefit to charging any slower. My guess is the differences you are seeing are the result of other factors such as pre-conditioning and other variable power drains.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
EV batteries do not benefit from "trickle charging" the same way smart phone batteries do. The chemistry is designed to handle change rates 30x higher so the battery really won't notice the difference between 15A or 80A as it's all relatively minimal compared to the rates it's designed to withstand on a regular basis.

Also, your vehicle has a set amount of overhead management while charging that is static so charging intentionally at lower rates is actually using MORE electricity than if you charged at the highest rate available.

It's best to get it charged to 80% (or whatever you want, don't loose too much sleep on this part so long as you're not charging to 100% and then leaving stored at this SoC for longer periods) at the highest A/C rate you have available, unplug it and then simply go on with your life not wasting any thought on it.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I mainly used 120V/20A FMC in my garage for the 3 weeks while I was waiting for my FCSP to be delivered/installed, supplemented with DC fast charging as needed.

I averaged ~1.1 kWh/h while charging I’m my garage, so your experience is in line with mine…….
Sponsored