• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
There has been quite a bit of discussion lately on the necessity to disconnect the 12v battery to reboot the system and restore connectivity. I too have been one of the folks affected by this, so I decided a shortcut was in order. Yes, I;ve heard mention of an update coming soon that will hopefully remedy this issue. But as someone who has always been a fan of having an easy way to disconnect the battery for various reasons (on older vehicles, as an extra layer of security, for example), it didn't take much for me to jump at the chance to install one here. The whole install took all of a few minutes. Took more time to take the pics and type this up than anything else.

A few considerations:
- I wanted to get one that wouldn't be adversely affected by vibration. We'll see on this one. In the past, I have used the kind that had a knob to separate the two sections and create the disconnect. This time, I decided to try the blade style.
- The apparatus attached to the negative terminal, and the shape of the top of the battery are limiting factors
- If you didn't know, the battery terminals for positive and negative are typically different sizes, so bear this in mind when ordering.

Here's the one I ordered (although there are plenty on the market that will work just fine):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ9NDH2/
$12 or so

Here's how it looked out of the box:
Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.42.35

The first thing I noticed is that as it is configured out of the box, it wouldn't fit right, due to the existing connections not having enough slack to adapt to the new lug position. Fortunately, I figured out that the switch could be disassembled and rejiggered to lay out in a way that works perfectly.

Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.44.08
Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.44.29
Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.45.15

Then I realized that I also wanted to reverse the blade direction, so the handle would be sticking forward. The image below is what I settled on for the final configuration:
Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.47.51

And now the final product, installed.
Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.51.03
Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.52.21

Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 2023-01-21 14.44.36
Sponsored

Ecstatic

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘03 Highlander, ‘83 Landcruiser, ‘22 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Temporarily retired
Would be really cool if you could mount a disconnect in the fake charge door on the passenger side of the truck.

OP
OP
HaroldCal

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
So is this really a thing? how often must you disconnect your truck? I hope I am not jinxing anything, but I have had my truck nearly 9 months and never needed to disconnect the battery.
I've had to do it a handful of times this month. I have a service appt already to get these issues logged, for the sake of record keeping. But it's such a cheap and easy thing to add, even if I use it 2 or 3 times in a year, it was worth it to me.

Because when it IS needed, I end up putting it off for a few days. Because I don't feel like digging out my 10mm socket. Yeah, I know, I know. Lazy. But now I have no excuse. No tools needed.

Yes, it's a really trivial thing. But I did it anyway. :)

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Wow i'm sorry that you have to do it, but it is a slick fix.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
So is this really a thing? how often must you disconnect your truck? I hope I am not jinxing anything, but I have had my truck nearly 9 months and never needed to disconnect the battery.
It's only affecting 2023's and will be fixed in February.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
There has been quite a bit of discussion lately on the necessity to disconnect the 12v battery to reboot the system and restore connectivity. I too have been one of the folks affected by this, so I decided a shortcut was in order. Yes, I;ve heard mention of an update coming soon that will hopefully remedy this issue. But as someone who has always been a fan of having an easy way to disconnect the battery for various reasons (on older vehicles, as an extra layer of security, for example), it didn't take much for me to jump at the chance to install one here. The whole install took all of a few minutes. Took more time to take the pics and type this up than anything else.

A few considerations:
- I wanted to get one that wouldn't be adversely affected by vibration. We'll see on this one. In the past, I have used the kind that had a knob to separate the two sections and create the disconnect. This time, I decided to try the blade style.
- The apparatus attached to the negative terminal, and the shape of the top of the battery are limiting factors
- If you didn't know, the battery terminals for positive and negative are typically different sizes, so bear this in mind when ordering.

Here's the one I ordered (although there are plenty on the market that will work just fine):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ9NDH2/
$12 or so

Here's how it looked out of the box:
2023-01-21 14.42.35.jpg

The first thing I noticed is that as it is configured out of the box, it wouldn't fit right, due to the existing connections not having enough slack to adapt to the new lug position. Fortunately, I figured out that the switch could be disassembled and rejiggered to lay out in a way that works perfectly.

2023-01-21 14.44.08.jpg
2023-01-21 14.44.29.jpg
2023-01-21 14.45.15.jpg

Then I realized that I also wanted to reverse the blade direction, so the handle would be sticking forward. The image below is what I settled on for the final configuration:
2023-01-21 14.47.51.jpg

And now the final product, installed.
2023-01-21 14.51.03.jpg
2023-01-21 14.52.21.jpg

2023-01-21 14.44.36.jpg
It's funny that you posted this, I actually installed this on my truck a couple months ago cause occasionally I'd get a deep sleep issue that would cause a chime issue (it would play through the dash speaker instead of the sound sytem) and it wouldn't go away even with a couple key cycles. So I found a quick disconnect of the 12V always solved the problem. I also had to swap and reorient the two posts.

I can assure you, unless yours came loose or misshapen, you shouldn't have any issues. I've had it on my truck for almost three months and have had zero issues from vibrations or driving and it always makes solid contact.

For me it just seemed like a better solution than wearing out the negative battery terminal with repeated tightening and loosening. (Plus it's a hell of a lot faster and easier to do!)

Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery disconnect switch installation DIY, with pics 20221114_194023

jabela

First Name
joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning, 2019 Ford Mustang GT, 2020 Ed
It's only affecting 2023's and will be fixed in February.
Can you point me in the direction of this forum. I have had to reset my telecom module twice and would love to see this fixed.
Sponsored