• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

1PD - is it too severe for regen or is it me ? Drove 60 miles yesterday and found 1PD very intrusive...

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So I took my week old Lightning out for a drive longer than my normal commute days and tried using 1PD at the start.

Found 1PD was very intrusive and I could not get a subtle enough throttle to keep her going in stop & go traffic.

Is that normal or is it me ?

@Ford Motor Company will they do an update on 1PD and allow for levels of regen ?

I come from driving 4 years on a 17kWh PHEV where I have paddle shifters that let me set the level of regen (1-4) which increases range.

So I turned off 1PD for the majority of the drive and coasted & lightly braked which seemed to keep the Brake Coach happy and I did get over 7 miles of regen back into the battery.

As a side note, while driving my Lightning, I kept reaching for the paddle shifters that are not there there on the Lightning - muscle memory ?

Ford F-150 Lightning 1PD - is it too severe for regen or is it me ?  Drove 60 miles yesterday and found 1PD very intrusive... Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 6.36.27 AM
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
You don't have to use 1 pedal :)

The way ford made the truck is that it maxes out regen fully when braking before it switches.

There shouldn't be a key difference between the two in efficiency. Unless you are slamming on the brakes. Just a matter of preference.

Coasting when you don't have to brake is more efficient anyways, some people get caught up in regen, when they should coast to maximize efficiency.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have only had a chance for a ~ 1 hour test drive in a Lighting, but if anything I wish the one pedal was a little more aggressive. I feel the same way in our Mach-e, even in unbridled. You will never make everyone happy, but given you think it is too much and I think it is not enough, Ford probably got it close to right.

Intellibeam

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Iced Blue Silver
It might be in my head but I find Sport Mode to be similar to 1 pedal without being 1 pedal. I tried this weekend to get used to 1 pedal only but reversing with it made me look like I just got my license an hour ago.

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
So I took my week old Lightning out for a drive longer than my normal commute days and tried using 1PD at the start.

Found 1PD was very intrusive and I could not get a subtle enough throttle to keep her going in stop & go traffic.

Is that normal or is it me ?

@Ford Motor Company will they do an update on 1PD and allow for levels of regen ?

I come from driving 4 years on a 17kWh PHEV where I have paddle shifters that let me set the level of regen (1-4) which increases range.

So I turned off 1PD for the majority of the drive and coasted & lightly braked which seemed to keep the Brake Coach happy and I did get over 7 miles of regen back into the battery.

As a side note, while driving my Lightning, I kept reaching for the paddle shifters that are not there there on the Lightning - muscle memory ?

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 6.36.27 AM.jpg
I’ve had 1 pedal in other vehicles and I find it to be just right in the Lightning.

Sponsored
OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
It might be in my head but I find Sport Mode to be similar to 1 pedal without being 1 pedal. I tried this weekend to get used to 1 pedal only but reversing with it made me look like I just got my license an hour ago.
That's exactly how I felt but driving forward - like a new driver that is learning to drive for the first time...

1PD had me lurching to a stop abruptly and then taking off again - sort of like trying to figure out how to accelerate and brake at the same time.

Throttle was not sensitive enough to keep the momentum so I just turned it off.

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
You don't have to use 1 pedal :)

The way ford made the truck is that it maxes out regen fully when braking before it switches.

There shouldn't be a key difference between the two in efficiency. Unless you are slamming on the brakes. Just a matter of preference.

Coasting when you don't have to brake is more efficient anyways, some people get caught up in regen, when they should coast to maximize efficiency.
Not sure that's how "coasting" works in an EV setup like our Lightning. My understanding was that since there is no transmission to shift into a neutral value, coasting with 2 pedal driving is actually just an inferred value to the motor to simulate the feel of coasting.

I could be wrong if others have a deeper understanding of this.

Dakovich

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning LER
This is my first EV, and first experience with 1PD but I can say I find the Lightning 1PD to be easy to use and very smooth. Having said that, I could see where it could get jerky if you don’t have great control of your foot and can’t smoothly feather the throttle for whatever reason. In those instances, the blended regen/braking is genius. Turn off 1PD and the truck maximizes regen but feels exactly (mostly) like a traditional throttle/brake driving input (throttle to go, brake pedal to stop).

Intellibeam

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Iced Blue Silver
Not sure that's how "coasting" works in an EV setup like our Lightning. My understanding was that since there is no transmission to shift into a neutral value, coasting with 2 pedal driving is actually just an inferred value to the motor to simulate the feel of coasting.

I could be wrong if others have a deeper understanding of this.
In normal mode, you let off the "gas" it's just like a normal vehicle. In sport mode, when you let off, it starts a slow speed decrease that makes it seem like it's regening to slow you down.

For 1 pedal, its like sport mode on crack. You let off and this thing is coming to a stop whether you like it or not. You could have a Youtube channel dedicated to people in a parking lot reversing Ford Lightnings in 1 pedal mode and have 100k subs.

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
The Lightning is my first EV so I don't have much basis for comparison with other 1PD setups. I found that it took me a few days of casual driving before I felt really smooth with 1PD, now I only notice it when I'm reversing (and kinda wish that I could turn it off in reverse).

Sponsored
OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
This is my first EV, and first experience with 1PD but I can say I find the Lightning 1PD to be easy to use and very smooth. Having said that, I could see where it could get jerky if you don’t have great control of your foot and can’t smoothly feather the throttle for whatever reason. In those instances, the blended regen/braking is genius. Turn off 1PD and the truck maximizes regen but feels exactly (mostly) like a traditional throttle/brake driving input (throttle to go, brake pedal to stop).
You are lucky of not having driven other EV vehicles which may help you learn to adapt to Lightning's 1PD.

Coming from a paddle shifting - multi regen selection PHEV, I can say that Ford's 1PD is too abrupt for my tastes.

I can't feather the throttle in a bumper to bumper / stop and go traffic common where I live.

Forget about reversing with 1PD in urban driving!

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
Coming from a 2013 model S, the regen is very similar on the Pro. At 1k miles on it between city and highway and downtown Detroit driving, no issues at all adapting to the regen. You will figure it out with time.

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I plan to do some testing, but there appears to be a minimum level of resistance that regen needs to get the voltage/amps high enough to recharge the batteries.

Look at the animation on the dash, the regen bar shows when energy is flowing into the battery. It doesn't show a flow if the green bar is tiny, like when you lightly break or slowly release the accelerator. Its not till you are significantly slowing that the animation shows energy going into the battery.

That makes me feel that the stronger the regen resistance, the more efficient the energy recapture is. I just need to do some tests to find out.
Ford F-150 Lightning 1PD - is it too severe for regen or is it me ?  Drove 60 miles yesterday and found 1PD very intrusive... 2022_ford_f-150_lightning_16_1920x1080

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
There is definitely a learning curve to it even if you're used to 1PD from another maker. I also thought it was pretty abrupt at low speeds, but I was also used to my old Model S having no regen below 5 mph. I looked pretty silly performing parking lot maneuvers with the truck nose diving as I changed directions. I look a lot less silly now as I'm still not an expert at positioning the truck in small spaces. Overall I like the 1PD mode and its more aggressive regen. If I need less regen, I just don't let off as much.

That all said, having an adjustable regen setting would be a nice addition.
Sponsored