• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2022 F-150 Lightning EV Lift Kit?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I ask this question as this is an area I have little knowledge.

With the change in suspension on the F-150 Lightning would it be possible to add a lift kit? If so, theoretically, if a lift kit was added how would that affect the performance and mileage of this electric vehicle?
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Good Question, I have been wondering about this also. I would also like to know about wheel fitment.

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Sierra, 2021 Expedition
Any lift or level kit will affect mileage. I am betting a lift kit will drastically affect the range. I am more interested in a level kit. It will be interesting to see though.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am sure lift kits will come along at some point, though existing one's probably won't work, or will have to be adjusted in some way.

As far as efficiency hits, it is hard to say, but here is a rough rule of thumb you can use. Most energy loss while driving (esp. at highway speeds) is due to air drag. Lifting the truck effectively increases the frontal area since much of the air below the truck is just pulled along (rough approximation - underbody shield on the Lightning should help here). Each inch of lift adds a little over 1% to the frontal area, so very rough numbers are a ~2 to 5 mile range reduction for each inch of lift. Adding larger (and heavier) tires will increase this reduction because more power is needed to accelerate them and they likely have higher rolling resistance. they also lift the truck even higher.

Note: larger tires will have a bigger impact on a EV becuase you don't get the offsetting benefit of a lower cruising rpm making the engine more efficient.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I would expect a similar percentage hit to economy. If you lost 20% on your ice truck, I'd estimate you'll lose about 20% here. Just when 20% is 3 or 4 mpg nobody really cares and just has to fill up more often. 20% of your 300 mile range means you're losing 60 miles of range. If you drive 30-50 miles a day, this isn't going to matter. If you regularly push 200+ miles a day, it is going to make a difference.

Sponsored

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning / 2023 6.7L Lariat F-350
Lifted trucks will inherently have more drag along with added unsprung weight of the larger wheels and tires. It'll probably be significantly noticeable considering that the engineers decided that do away with fog lamps and stuck to aero wheels for every extra bit of efficiency. I'm sure it's rolling on some uber low rolling resistance tires as well. Maybe the stubby antenna mod and a bed cover will help the wind resistance ever so much! Every bit counts?

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Lifted trucks will inherently have more drag along with added unsprung weight of the larger wheels and tires. It'll probably be significantly noticeable considering that the engineers decided that do away with fog lamps and stuck to aero wheels for every extra bit of efficiency. I'm sure it's rolling on some uber low rolling resistance tires as well. Maybe the stubby antenna mod and a bed cover will help the wind resistance ever so much! Every bit counts?
?? I haven't listened to the radio in like 20 years; brought my own music along.

One of the first things to do would be to replace that antenna with something else.

? with vehicles being so modern, wonder why didn't they go with a shark fin that what looks to be the norm; ?? add to aerodynamics.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
?? I haven't listened to the radio in like 20 years; brought my own music along.

One of the first things to do would be to replace that antenna with something else.

? with vehicles being so modern, wonder why didn't they go with a shark fin that what looks to be the norm; ?? add to aerodynamics.
Old school big antenna gets much better AM radio reception which is still used a lot by rural Truck owners, especially in the Midwest.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I will be convinced that the ICE vs EV battle is over when I see a Lightning with a Carolina squat.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I believe they are putting an AT tire on it stock

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bikes
In a Tundra now, but looking forward to ordering the Lightning. I put the level kit on the Tundra and went from 33" to 34" tires and the look and function is perfect for me. Hoping for something similar with the Lightning.

I'm also running KO2, which look great, but holy crap are they heavy. They sapped 2-3mpg off my already low fuel efficiency. So the search will be on for a decent looking but much lighter AT for the Lightning.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
In a Tundra now, but looking forward to ordering the Lightning. I put the level kit on the Tundra and went from 33" to 34" tires and the look and function is perfect for me. Hoping for something similar with the Lightning.

I'm also running KO2, which look great, but holy crap are they heavy. They sapped 2-3mpg off my already low fuel efficiency. So the search will be on for a decent looking but much lighter AT for the Lightning.
I had a similar hit putting KO2s on my 2016 F150. Much better than stock in the snow though.

I hope Ford offers a good low(er) rolling resistance all terrain on the Lightning. I don't really off road, but winter snow traction is very important to me since my truck is my daily driver in the winter. Lots of sitting around in the summer while the Shelby is out.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
In the survey that went around, A/T tires were standard on the lower trims and a $150 option on the higher trims

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Sierra, 2021 Expedition
I think the A/T is standard on the pro and XLT, but XLT+ and higher it will be an option. The A/T that Ford puts on there will not be anything like a KO2, it will be a mild A/T, closer to an A/S.
Sponsored