• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Last edited:

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
"The most annoying are the fully digital HVAC vents, which turn something you can do in seconds with your eyes on the road in the Ford to a distracting, drawn-out affair."

Which is the No. 1 reason I sold my Rivian and bought the Lightning. There were many many more reasons, but this ^^ I can adjust my air vents properly in the Ford. But then, I did intentionally buy the XLT for its physical HVAC controls. I cannot speak to how it works for you guys with the full screen.

Its satisfying to see Motor Trend came to the same concolion I did. I owned the Rivian for 4 months and put 5k miles on it. I've own the Lightning for 1 week with 750 miles so far. The Lightning (even the XLT+ SR I have) is hands down the better of the two for what I actually need in a truck. I wanted to like the Rivian. If off-road features meant anything to me, then maybe I would have prefered the Rivian. But I don't need that and I found myself having to justify being ok with all of the Rivian quirks and issues.

I have to imagine Lightning will soon get the charging speed data so I don't yet consider that a issue. It must be coming right? Same with pet mode. Just a guess but I feel like we'll have that by end of the year.

Better in the Lightning XLT vs R1T Launch Edition:
----------------------------
I can adjust my air vents manually and have physical HVAC controls. The AC is actually cold and powerful enough with 4 adults inside. I have XM radio hardware. The key fob actually works. The window switches don't sometimes require multiple presses. Power tailgate is actually useful (who knew?). The frunk is way more useable. There's a step to get in the bed. The truck's suspension doesn't just randomly move side to side and change heights while stopped. The NAV screen hasn't yet just froze up and reboot randomly. I don't have door alignment issues. My spare tire is accessible when there's a load in the bed. The bed lining isn't easily scratched. Never had Android Auto before but I love it. The backseat has a fully flat load floor when the seats are up. Automatic Plug-in & charge at EA stations is fantastic - just worked out of the box for me. Gloveboxes, table, sunglass holder. The interior / map lights don't aim directly into my eyes.

Better in the R1T Launch Edition vs the Lightning XLT:
----------------------------
The sound system is bar none the best in the automotive industry. The sun visor mirrors have lights. There's grab handles on the roof. The rear seat has its own climate zone. The size of the truck makes it marginally better to park in Los Angeles. The R1T goes chirp chirp when you lock it, Lightning honks its horn in a too aggressive way.

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Makes you wonder what some sort of Magneride System (if possible) would do to the Lightning…. Maybe even air suspension.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Makes you wonder what some sort of Magneride System (if possible) would do to the Lightning…. Maybe even air suspension.
The F150L not having. An air suspension is actually a major advantage in my eyes.

I’ve owned air suspension, I configured my Model S with a conventional coil spring on purpose, my Model X air suspension was a waste of weight and space. No thank you.

Magnetic dampening or another active dampening system on the other hand, Im all for. This is done well in many other cars that utilize a conventional spring setup.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Rivian looks like a fun toy. Ford looks like a fun truck. 🧐 Just two cents. They are both very nice, but meant to do different things.

Sponsored

F150_Xpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Sprinter,R1250 GSA, Husky TPI, KTM 790
They don't mention the longer (2 more years) basic warranty and longer roadside assistance on the Rivian in the article (listed in specs) and pretty much ignore the gear tunnel.

Ford wins if you need a work truck, Rivian wins for an off road adventure truck IMO.

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
They don't mention the longer (2 more years) basic warranty and longer roadside assistance on the Rivian in the article (listed in specs) and pretty much ignore the gear tunnel.
The gear tunnel is a party trick. Everyone wants to see it but I found it to be not very useful in real life.

1. Opening the tunnel doors isn't very easy. It only pops open slightly and you need to jam your fingers into the opening to pull the door all the way open. They're not power close either so you end up touching the panel everytime. There is clear plastic on the tunnel doors, but it doesn't wrap around the edges. So it seems like an eventual wear point if you use them a lot. That said, you won't use them a lot because...

2. Using the tunnel is kind of clunky. You can kind of open the doors if you park next to someone, but you'll never get anything large out of there with the angle of the opening. I was trying to find use for them and just found using the frunk with its power open and close was easier every time. With the tunnel's depth, you have to really crawl into there to grab anything that's rolled around. Or close the door and walk around to the otherside of the truck. I found whatever I was looking for was often not on the the side I first placed it.

3. There is carpet in there and the tunnel isn't airtight. I thought I was going to use the tunnel for dirty power tools or food pickup. But making a mess in the tunnel is hard to clean up and anything that smells in there makes it way into the cabin. So again, frunk or in the bed with the cover closed is what I ended up doing every time. I've yet to miss the gear tunnel but the even more useful frunk on the Lightning makes up for it.

F150_Xpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Sprinter,R1250 GSA, Husky TPI, KTM 790
I love my gear tunnel and find it very useful. Moved my daughter out of college and bed was full it found space in tunnel for a lamp and the vacuum cleaner.

also love the seat and step to get into the bed and works as great storage for my dirt bike gear.

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT | 2018 Tesla Model 3
Love my Lightning, but if prices were equal, I would’ve gone Rivian. Smaller and IMO, better lifestyle vehicle for me. But my XLT was/is about $25k cheaper than the Rivian I spec’d, and who knows if Rivian will last and/or change their pricing before I’d get it.
Sponsored