• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Ford has just published its first-half 2021 financial report and we can see that the cumulative number of reservations for the Ford F-150 Lightning stands at 120,000!

Here are the disclosed reservation counts since reservations opened on May 19, 2021.
  • 20,000 in 12 hours (announced May 20)
  • 44,500 in 48 hours (announced May 21)
  • 70,000 in about 8 days (announced May 27)
  • 100,000 in three weeks (announced June 9)
  • 120,000 in over two months (announced July 28)
Ford also shared that "about three-quarters" of reservations come from customers new to the Ford brand.
"F-150 Lightning – an electric version of the most popular vehicle in the U.S. for more than 40 years – generating 120,000 reservations since its unveiling in May, about three-quarters of them from customers who are new to Ford"
Sponsored

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Honestly a lot lower than I thought they would be at for now. That said, your date may be off. Since these are first half of the year results, it makes more sense that it is 120k through the end of June.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Honestly a lot lower than I thought they would be at for now. That said, your date may be off. Since these are first half of the year results, it makes more sense that it is 120k through the end of June.
Those are just the dates that the #'s were disclosed by Ford.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Ford also shared that "about three-quarters" of reservations come from customers new to the Ford brand.
Just curious. Out of millions of existing F150 owners, only 30K (or less, since some people reserved more than) are interested? I would have expected more.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
For a $100 refundable non-commitment, 90% of these reservation holders will have dropped the $100 on a Hummer, Rivian and Cybertruck as well.
I think it's good there's a "number at the deli" but it's not first come, first served, it's highest MSRP combined lowest reservation number.
Once production gets through the initial build quality and there's a larger battery option, then I'll be walking up to the counter with my "day one" reservation number.
It's so far into the future, who knows what the market for an electric tow vehicle will look like … the sooner Ford drives an F-150 Lightning coast to coast and back, the better.
They need to prove the range and the charging network support and real world actual rates of charge. I'm sure a lot of Lightning buyers are experienced Tesla owners and they know "a lot of dots on the network maps and $5" will get you a coffee while you wait an hour for your Tesla to charge. I won't be in a hurry to replace my F-150 Hybrid with a Lightning till it measures up (and I think the Hybrid sets a high bar.)

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Just curious. Out of millions of existing F150 owners, only 30K (or less, since some people reserved more than) are interested? I would have expected more.
We've seen the same with other vehicles – there's just not much of an incentive to bother with a deposit if you're 120,001 in line and the excitement of the impulse created by the launch was two months ago.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We've seen the same with other vehicles – there's just not much of an incentive to bother with a deposit if you're 120,001 in line and the excitement of the impulse created by the launch was two months ago.
I get that, but I'm talking about existing Ford truck owners not jumping on it.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
As you said, out of millions of F150 owners, one cannot and should not expect millions of people to just convert in a few months let alone just get rid of their ICE F150 and purchase the Lightning.

You also have to consider what these millions of owners do with their F150 because the drIrving range of their ICE F150 will far exceed the Lightning even when doing real towing and hauling.

The real world doesn’t work that way and more people will take the safe and gradual first step which will be the Hybrid F150.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
For a $100 refundable non-commitment, 90% of these reservation holders will have dropped the $100 on a Hummer, Rivian and Cybertruck as well.
I think it's good there's a "number at the deli" but it's not first come, first served, it's highest MSRP combined lowest reservation number.
Once production gets through the initial build quality and there's a larger battery option, then I'll be walking up to the counter with my "day one" reservation number.
It's so far into the future, who knows what the market for an electric tow vehicle will look like … the sooner Ford drives an F-150 Lightning coast to coast and back, the better.
They need to prove the range and the charging network support and real world actual rates of charge. I'm sure a lot of Lightning buyers are experienced Tesla owners and they know "a lot of dots on the network maps and $5" will get you a coffee while you wait an hour for your Tesla to charge. I won't be in a hurry to replace my F-150 Hybrid with a Lightning till it measures up (and I think the Hybrid sets a high bar.)
If you already have the hybrid, that makes complete sense! For me, the Lightning is going to be such a high step forward vs. my 2016 base XLT (that barely gets 15 mpg combined even with the 2.7l) that I can't stop thinking about it.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I get that, but I'm talking about existing Ford truck owners not jumping on it.
True, I would have expected more like the reverse, 50%+ existing or past F-150 owners, 25% GM/RAM and 25% Tesla. And who knows if the way Ford is capturing the demographics is valid or if people bother answering questions correctly or whatever Ford wants to "message" to investors (so-called "conquest" sales are considered a marker for sales growth … having existing customers come back and buy another blue oval is less exciting to investors … "loyalty" ain't what it used to be … : )

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As you said, out of millions of F150 owners, one cannot and should not expect millions of people to just convert in a few months let alone just get rid of their ICE F150 and purchase the Lightning.
I don't, but Ford sells almost a million of F150s every year. With that in mind, there are millions of them over 20 years. I don't expect all of them to move to EV, but certainly a lot more than 30,000.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
TBH, I'm surprised its only 120k. I was expecting around 200k given all the excitement in the media. I read in a report that Ford has about a 66% conversion rate from reservations-->orders on the new Bronco. I wonder if it will be similar for the f150. I can see people having an f150 reservation, a HUMMER reservation and a Rivian reservation at once. Maybe Cybertruck..but that design seems so polarizing...

Lightning.Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna x 2
I have wanted an EV pickup for many years. I can kind of understand the number of people new to Ford, if I already had a pickup I would be in less of a hurry. I would wait to see how things shake out. "never buy first year of a new model" is old and often good advice. But I want one NOW. :)

I have a res for Cybertruck, Rivian and F150 and expect to only get one of them.

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Antimatter Blue F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Math
I put my $100 in last night. I ordered a hybrid 150 on 5/1, as I wanted a new vehicle this summer not next spring. I have zero feedback that my order is even in the system. I can't imagine my delivery before November. If I have to wait until then, then why not wait a few months more to get the EV version I want?

Jamielee

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Social Worker
What type of millage are you getting with your hybrid?
Sponsored