• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
haha..so 10mph over...85mph cruise in AZ?
I was going 85. Most of the other people were passing me like I was standing still. Keeping in mind:
  • MME is more aerodynamic and weighs less than Lightning
  • Temperature was fairly mild
  • There was a slight elevation drop
  • No wind
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
This is just wrong. A truck that big and boxy will have a very hard time beating the 230/300 with the announced battery capacity. I think it gets the rated range if you stick to 50-55mph but once you hit 60-65mph it will have a hard time getting 250 on the extended pack. 70mph+ and the range will be tragic.
Not sure why you think this is wrong since essentially every non-Tesla EV beats its EPA range in real world conditions. The question will be by how much you can beat it. Edmunds has a real world test that they've been doing for EVs (the EPA test is just done with a dyno and a fudge factor). Edmunds has run 29 vehicles through their protocol and, aside from Teslas, only the Polestar failed to beat its EPA rating. The Rivian even beat its rating but only by a few miles.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

Your profile says you have a Bolt, I do as well. Mine is a 2019 with 238mi EPA range. I can get 270+ for a commute that is nearly 100% highway driving and 300+ in more mixed driving when I keep the highway speed at 65 or lower. That's about a 10% gain over EPA for 95% highway and >20% for mixed driving. Edmunds clocked the Bolt at +7% over EPA, so the Edmunds test is even more aggressive than I get driving the Bolt.

Clearly, a truck will suffer much more from drag losses if you drive faster but it will also gain more if you drive slower than the benchmark test, so it's all about technique. If you want to bomb around at 85 all day you are going to be lucky to get 200 on the extended battery.

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
Not sure why you think this is wrong since essentially every non-Tesla EV beats its EPA range in real world conditions. The question will be by how much you can beat it. Edmunds has a real world test that they've been doing for EVs (the EPA test is just done with a dyno and a fudge factor). Edmunds has run 29 vehicles through their protocol and, aside from Teslas, only the Polestar failed to beat its EPA rating. The Rivian even beat its rating but only by a few miles.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

Your profile says you have a Bolt, I do as well. Mine is a 2019 with 238mi EPA range. I can get 270+ for a commute that is nearly 100% highway driving and 300+ in more mixed driving when I keep the highway speed at 65 or lower. That's about a 10% gain over EPA for 95% highway and >20% for mixed driving. Edmunds clocked the Bolt at +7% over EPA, so the Edmunds test is even more aggressive than I get driving the Bolt.

Clearly, a truck will suffer much more from drag losses if you drive faster but it will also gain more if you drive slower than the benchmark test, so it's all about technique. If you want to bomb around at 85 all day you are going to be lucky to get 200 on the extended battery.
My bolt with 238 EPA gets under 200 miles when driving 70+mph..

The edmunds test isn't a highway test. Its a 60% city driving 40% highway driving. Of course an EV will hit or beat their numbers on that type of test. There is zero chance the Rivian gets 315 miles of range going only highway miles.

I would argue that the only test that matters is straight highway driving which most of these EV's get under their EPA (Unless they are driving in the slow lane at about 55mph). EPA should be a 70mph highway test in my opinion.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My bolt with 238 EPA gets under 200 miles when driving 70+mph..

The edmunds test isn't a highway test. Its a 60% city driving 40% highway driving. Of course an EV will hit or beat their numbers on that type of test. There is zero chance the Rivian gets 315 miles of range going only highway miles.

I would argue that the only test that matters is straight highway driving which most of these EV's get under their EPA (Unless they are driving in the slow lane at about 55mph). EPA should be a 70mph highway test in my opinion.

I'm able to meet EPA driving right at 70 with a majority of my miles being on the highway (in good weather conditions, clearly). I get better than 200 (~3.5mi/kWh) even at typical northeast winter temps when driving at 65mph on the highway, assuming I manage the HVAC. In the warmer months I average >4 mi/kWh with the same driving technique. I've seen as high as 5.5 mi/kWh on a full charge when only driving on state hwys and in town.

YMMV (literally!) but based on what I've experienced with the Bolt and extensive confirmation of vehicles beating EPA ratings, I feel confident that the F-150 is likely to do so, as well.

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
I'm able to meet EPA driving right at 70 with a majority of my miles being on the highway (in good weather conditions, clearly). I get better than 200 (~3.5mi/kWh) even at typical northeast winter temps when driving at 65mph on the highway, assuming I manage the HVAC. In the warmer months I average >4 mi/kWh with the same driving technique. I've seen as high as 5.5 mi/kWh on a full charge when only driving on state hwys and in town.

YMMV (literally!) but based on what I've experienced with the Bolt and extensive confirmation of vehicles beating EPA ratings, I feel confident that the F-150 is likely to do so, as well.
I agree YMMV.

One thing about my bolt that I didn't consider is that it has 70k miles.. I bought it 1.5 years ago so maybe I have some battery degradation as well which obviously would change my opinion a bit. Regardless it will be sweet when I get the upgraded replacement from chevy!

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I got my Bolt just over the summer and it had about 19,500 miles, so that will certainly make a difference. And, yes, that new 65kWh battery will be a nice treat! :)

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
I got my Bolt just over the summer and it had about 19,500 miles, so that will certainly make a difference. And, yes, that new 65kWh battery will be a nice treat! :)
Will have to hold me over till my lightning Pro comes in the next 6 months - 6 years lol

Dolfanrich13

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Military
Is buying the SR a bad decision? Does it hurt Resale value? Would I regret it? I don’t travel far to work and don’t take many long trips

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Is buying the SR a bad decision? Does it hurt Resale value? Would I regret it? I don’t travel far to work and don’t take many long trips
If you think through your use case and it works with minimal times wheee you’ll have to charge away from home, then it definitely could be a good option.

As far as resale, I think an XLT SR may have worse resale than an XLT ER, but the Pro SR is such a ridiculous value, that I bet it holds it’s value very well.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
If you think through your use case and it works with minimal times wheee you’ll have to charge away from home, then it definitely could be a good option.

As far as resale, I think an XLT SR may have worse resale than an XLT ER, but the Pro SR is such a ridiculous value, that I bet it holds it’s value very well.
I agree, the Lariat SR and Pro SR will hold value better than the XLT SR. People that want the higher trim will want the Lariat. The people that just want an EV Truck (or EV I'm general) will want the Pro...just too good of a value compared to the XLT.

In fact, for the Pro SR, I find the seats and flooring more attractive than the XLT! If Ford was smart they'd let you configure the Vinvl Seats/Rubber Floor into the XLT (with a subtraction of price).

The XLT was just too similar to the Pro for far more. That being said I think the XLT ER will hold value better than a Lariat ER.
Sponsored