• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Its got worse aero than a brick, so it is not much of a surprise really. All-in-all, not terrible.

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Any idea what “mode” they test this in? Presumably a normal drive mode? So with high regen you might be able to do better

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I think they'd have it set to the highest regen possible, though at highway speeds it doesn't matter so much since you won't be decelerating while cruising anyway. Top speed (not acceleration) and staying off the friction brakes as much as possible are key to good efficiency. A heat pump can help in cold temperatures, but air density is the real killer of range on long trips.

It's possible the numbers are still on the conservative side if they trend with the Mach E's real world numbers. Hopefully we find out tomorrow morning if someone has done a test already.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
That information was already baked in to the EPA numbers that had been released. It might be “new” but you could’ve figured them out with the numbers on the window sticker.

Sponsored

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Some of it is a little jumbled.

What defines highway vs city?

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I think they'd have it set to the highest regen possible, though at highway speeds it doesn't matter so much since you won't be decelerating while cruising anyway. Top speed (not acceleration) and staying off the friction brakes as much as possible are key to good efficiency. A heat pump can help in cold temperatures, but air density is the real killer of range on long trips.

It's possible the numbers are still on the conservative side if they trend with the Mach E's real world numbers. Hopefully we find out tomorrow morning if someone has done a test already.
In the truck I saw an option for one pedal driving on and off. I did not see a sub-selection which changed the regen amount, like in my Tesla where there is three options.

I may have missed the feature in a sub menu, or perhaps it only appeared some place I already looked after one-pedal is set to on? I asked one of the workers at the event and they said the option was solely on or off, but maybe they didn't know all the details either? What are the options in the Mach-E?

One other thing, in off-road and towing drive modes, the option for one pedal driving is disabled. So if you're towing and hoping to save a few miles with regen, that doesn't appear to be possible.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning EPA highway + city range / efficiency numbers posted 20220506_105711

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
In the truck I saw an option for one pedal driving on and off. I did not see a sub-selection which changed the regen amount, like in my Tesla where there is three options.

I may have missed the feature in a sub menu, or perhaps it only appeared some place I already looked after one-pedal is set to on? I asked one of the workers at the event and they said the option was solely on or off, but maybe they didn't know all the details either? What are the options in the Mach-E?

One other thing, in off-road and towing drive modes, the option for one pedal driving is disabled. So if you're towing and hoping to save a few miles with regen, that doesn't appear to be possible.
I would guess it is like the Mach-e and tied to the drive mode.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Its got worse aero than a brick, so it is not much of a surprise really. All-in-all, not terrible.

But it's the most aerodynamic F-150 ever!!!

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Blended hybrid braking (braking w/ some regen) should still be a thing in tow mode I would think? Also I wonder if they just don't trust people not putting their foot on the brake while towing.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Also, as noted in other thread, i’ve been able to get significantly over the EPA highway range rating in my Bolt when setting on cruise at 65. But, unless you’re in an area with limited fast charging, if you’re driving over 250 miles it’s more time efficient to drive faster and charge more often.

juddisjudd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Honda Odyssey
I would guess it is like the Mach-e and tied to the drive mode.
I believe the manual says that tow mode enables regen braking so you may not see the option because it is forced on.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Also, as noted in other thread, i’ve been able to get significantly over the EPA highway range rating in my Bolt when setting on cruise at 65. But, unless you’re in an area with limited fast charging, if you’re driving over 250 miles it’s more time efficient to drive faster and charge more often.

I think that driver the faster/charge more often might breakdown with the poor highway efficiency and slow charge speeds.

This definitely works for my ioniq5.

But my quick routes seem to make it wash for the lightening. So kind of preference of where to spend your time sitting and charging vs driving.

I guess if you had Kyle Conner skills and arrived at each charger at 1% state of charge, it'd really be faster to drive faster.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The info was on the epa site a while ago. Shocked that it was close to the Rivian.

However..... OEM's do the tests. All the real world numbers will begin to show up soon. Doubt they will be much better than posted. At $4/gallon gas it can still add up in 100K miles.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I think that driver the faster/charge more often might breakdown with the poor highway efficiency and slow charge speeds.

This definitely works for my ioniq5.

But my quick routes seem to make it wash for the lightening. So kind of preference of where to spend your time sitting and charging vs driving.

I guess if you had Kyle Conner skills and arrived at each charger at 1% state of charge, it'd really be faster to drive faster.
Eventually it will but I don’t think you hit that point with the ER. Maybe with the SR. It will depend on what the real world charging performance ends up being as well. Obviously the charging infrastructure plays a role, too.

ETA: I just ran a quick calc for a 500 mile drive using 80mph vs 65mph (assuming 80mph has 20% reduced efficiency). The 80-mph option needs an extra 30 minutes of charging but an hour and 15 minutes less drive time, so the net is 45 minutes faster for the "charge more" option. It could definitely get closer depending where charge stations are available but I still think the general rule of thumb will be drive faster/charge more for a faster arrival time on longer trips.
Sponsored

Last edited: