• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
Lol to the stupid glass roof! I almost went for a model Y last spring until i watched a YT review. Guy was bitching that because of the roof and the size of the interior volume, its so hard to keep car cool oh hot days. He keeps A/C on full blast and the temp still wouldn't drop below mid-high 70s. He said that his range decreased because of this as well since A/C runs of same battery obviously. F that.
I don't like the glass roof trend but honestly that YT guy doesn't line up with my summer of Mach E ownership. Even after sitting outside all day in near-100 degree Alabama summer I did not experience anything like what you describe. The coatings do an excellent job of managing heat and running the a/c isn't a huge battery drain anyway. I don't care for all the light during bright days, and what I did not expect is how much cold is transmitted through the glass. The cold is definitely a bigger deal than summer heat.
Sponsored

Red944

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SR on order
?...Upset people on here.
Ford said it would start at just under $40k, they did just that...Ford didn't promise everyone who wants one will get one at $40k. I have never seen anything that Ford said or did that was out of line with a normal car company.

Even if they sold only one PRO it would still be a valid statement that the lightning started at just under $40k for MY22. And they would still be the ONLY company to actually make a $40k EV truck...Tesla and Chevy can promise any price they want but none of them are closer than Ford is to actually making one. Cyber truck and Silverado EV @$40k are vaporware for now as far as I'm concerned

If you have $40k to throw at a truck, and a place to charge the truck at night...life is pretty damm good even if you don't get a $40k truck
I haven't seen anyone else post this yet, so here is another possible reason for why this happened.

Some states are doing a state tax credit now and it specifies that the base MSRP must be under a certain amount, $40k, $50K, Etc. It doesn't matter how many they sell at that price, or if the top end model tops out at 100k, but the base must be under a certain amount.

I know the current tax credit does not have a limitation. But I had read in multiple places that the new BBB credit would be based on the price of the EV and it would cap. If this cap is determined off of the base it is very likely that ford said, fine, we will sell 100 at under 40k base to meet that number and then we can sell 1 million at $75k and everyone is happy. Keep in mind, when this launch happened in May, passing the BBB bill looked much more likely in its full form than it does today.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I don't like the glass roof trend but honestly that YT guy doesn't line up with my summer of Mach E ownership. Even after sitting outside all day in near-100 degree Alabama summer I did not experience anything like what you describe. The coatings do an excellent job of managing heat and running the a/c isn't a huge battery drain anyway. I don't care for all the light during bright days, and what I did not expect is how much cold is transmitted through the glass. The cold is definitely a bigger deal than summer heat.
I see countless people asking about glass roofs in the hot sun on the MME and EV subs and a lot of owners reply back from Arizona or Texas or Florida stating that they can't feel a difference at all unless they put their hand physically on the glass. So I'm not worried about the glass in full sun either.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I see countless people asking about glass roofs in the hot sun on the MME and EV subs and a lot of owners reply back from Arizona or Texas or Florida stating that they can't feel a difference at all unless they put their hand physically on the glass. So I'm not worried about the glass in full sun either.
That was my experience. I see people claim that they can feel the heat coming through or that it gets hot or whatever, but I had a Model 3 in Florida for 2+ years with no tint or anything, and I never noticed it whatsoever.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I did not have a problem driving my F150 Limited with the same glass roof in South Texas.

Sponsored

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
?...Upset people on here.
Ford said it would start at just under $40k, they did just that...Ford didn't promise everyone who wants one will get one at $40k. I have never seen anything that Ford said or did that was out of line with a normal car company.

Even if they sold only one PRO it would still be a valid statement that the lightning started at just under $40k for MY22. And they would still be the ONLY company to actually make a $40k EV truck...Tesla and Chevy can promise any price they want but none of them are closer than Ford is to actually making one. Cyber truck and Silverado EV @$40k are vaporware for now as far as I'm concerned

If you have $40k to throw at a truck, and a place to charge the truck at night...life is pretty damm good even if you don't get a $40k truck
Yep life is darn good in the USA! Still need to hold legacy auto accountable for deceptive marketing.
If Ford plans on getting everyone excited by saying they will have a $40k truck but secretly plans on producing a tiny fraction of their estimated demand, that is dishonest and deceptive behavior. Additionally since Ford has not produced a single truck yet, they could easily shift production plans to meet the demands of customers to exactly what customers want rather than artificially limiting production quantities of specific models in order to force people to spend more if customers want to get a truck at all.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Yep life is darn good in the USA! Still need to hold legacy auto accountable for deceptive marketing.
If Ford plans on getting everyone excited by saying they will have a $40k truck but secretly plans on producing a tiny fraction of their estimated demand, that is dishonest and deceptive behavior. Additionally since Ford has not produced a single truck yet, they could easily shift production plans to meet the demands of customers to exactly what customers want rather than artificially limiting production quantities of specific models in order to force people to spend more if customers want to get a truck at all.
Sorry, but nothing deceptive going on here. Ford offered the pro truck and it sold out. Ford never said how many of the trucks they were planning to allocate. It was pretty much a given the number would be limited, the margins on the truck would be smaller then other trims. Any manufacture would want to recoup development costs. Now days things are worst since supply and demand is sort out of wack. Would not be surprised to see the Pro offered again in MY23 at a slight price increase.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Sorry, but nothing deceptive going on here. Ford offered the pro truck and it sold out. Ford never said how many of the trucks they were planning to allocate. It was pretty much a given the number would be limited, the margins on the truck would be smaller then other trims. Any manufacture would want to recoup development costs. Now days things are worst since supply and demand is sort out of wack. Would not be surprised to see the Pro offered again in MY23 at a slight price increase.
So, if they offered 1 single Pro for '22, that would be "nothing deceptive"? They offered it and it sold out!

We can argue about whether it counts as "deceptive", but creating the prioritization system to let people jump the line at the end of an 8 month wait is at the very least "less than ideal transparency" and while many people realized that the Pro would probably be sorta limited, ~4% of trucks is VERY limited, and Ford never publicly said ANYTHING about it being limited, let alone limited to just 1/25 trucks.

Ford definitely knew what people were reasonably thinking (and posting)about timestamps and XLT ER pricing and Pro availability, and didn't do anything to temper expectations that only a handful of people would get Pros and XLTs and that the XLT ER would be $10k more than expected.

So, did they literally "deceive" people? Probably not, since they didn't officially, explicitly say what the Pro breakdown or XLT ER price WOULD be (they implied it with the price survey, though), but they absolutely let people believe for months what they knew was false when they could have tempered expectations.

It's disappointing and they were purposely withholding useful info, even if it's not technically "deceptive" or "bait and switch" or whatever.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
It's patently absurd to argue that a vehicle that hasn't even been produced yet is "sold out"...or even that it can sell out.
Sure they can and manufacturers do it all the time. In this case, it appears that Ford identified the maximum number of units that it would build for each trim level and made its component orders accordingly. Ford was upfront with its dealers in the leaked document that it would be issuing invites in waves and that as models "sold out" they would not be available for ordering in subsequent waves.

Supply constraints have made production constraints more pronounced and manufacturers are limiting what is getting built and are not accepting orders for certain trims. A good example is the Ford Maverick where Ford cut off orders for hybrid models for MY2022 before it cut off orders for other Maverick models.

In year's past (pre-CoVID), it was not unusual to have situations where the manufacturer cut off orders and then determined that certain vehicles would never be built for that model year. The result in some cases at least was that the customer had to reorder. From my perspective, the bottom line appears to be that Ford is trying to ensure that it can build what is ordered in a timely manner. And, in that regard, would I have preferred an XLT-ER with a few options as opposed to a Lariat-ER with no options at the previously dangled price? -- yes. Was I unhappy? -- yes. Could Ford have done a better job to make sure that everyone knew that the survey prices were not cast in stone but were merely "guestimates" based upon market conditions at the time of the survey? -- yes. Would I have liked X-Plan pricing? -- yes. Have other manufacturers changed prices? -- yes. I remember the 1980s where MSRPs changed monthly or quarterly due to inflation. I have also seen specialty vehicles have sharp price increases year over year when our inflation rate was in the 2% range.

Despite all of this, when it came time for me to place my actual order, I had to make a few decisions. Could I afford a Ford Lighting with the actual pricing that Ford released (I ordered the most expensive vehicle that I am ever going to purchase - never thought I would spend that much money on a vehicle)? If so, which one did I think would provide me with the best value. These are the subjective considerations that I have made when purchasing any vehicle or large ticket item. Just my $0.02.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
You can defend them as strongly as you prefer but it doesn't make the nonsensical argument into a valid one.

One can not "run out" of something that doesn't exist yet. They certainly didn't run out of the capacity to produce more. They could, in fact, convert every single planned Lariat into a Pro but they're choosing not to.

Now, that's certainly their right but don't conflate that with an argument they've somehow "sold out" of vehicles. Your entire 3rd paragraph is entirely irrelevant to the conversation of deeming a pre-production model "out of stock" so I'm not going to bother addressing it.

I'd have to go back and do more research but I do believe it's you who has been repeatedly posting these long defenses of Ford's practices in these discussions without any apparent understanding of the current law regarding such practices. I do find it humorous, however, that you post a call-back to the 80s, which is when a large corpus of law regarding bait and switch tactics started evolving.

In any case, if anyone is interested in reading something about it here's a link: https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1059&context=wmblr

Furthermore, states can and do have stricter protections. CA, for example, would be particularly interested in prosecuting an actionable case. Whether the political desire is present with the current administration and push toward EV adoption might temper that otherwise eager AG, though.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
You can defend them as strongly as you prefer but it doesn't make the nonsensical argument into a valid one.

One can not "run out" of something that doesn't exist yet. They certainly didn't run out of the capacity to produce more. They could, in fact, convert every single planned Lariat into a Pro but they're choosing not to.

Now, that's certainly their right but don't conflate that with an argument they've somehow "sold out" of vehicles. Your entire 3rd paragraph is entirely irrelevant to the conversation of deeming a pre-production model "out of stock" so I'm not going to bother addressing it.

I'd have to go back and do more research but I do believe it's you who has been repeatedly posting these long defenses of Ford's practices in these discussions without any apparent understanding of the current law regarding such practices. I do find it humorous, however, that you post a call-back to the 80s, which is when a large corpus of law regarding bait and switch tactics started evolving.

In any case, if anyone is interested in reading something about it here's a link: https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1059&context=wmblr

Furthermore, states can and do have stricter protections. CA, for example, would be particularly interested in prosecuting an actionable case. Whether the political desire is present with the current administration and push toward EV adoption might temper that otherwise eager AG, though.
Right on @ExCivilian !

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
You kind of had me swayed in your debate stance until you used California as my advocate.
That let all the air out of it for me. Lol
HAHAHA, fair enough :)

That wasn't meant to suggest CA was your advocate so much as one could look at our legislation for examples of strong consumer protection language codified into law as opposed to, say Texas, where you all can just shoot the salesperson for lying ;)
Sponsored