• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Cybertruck update upcoming on Jan 26. What Musk has said is that initial production will be plaid and quad motor versions. $$$ versions, in other words.
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Well, the '22 XLT SR looks like it's sold out, too, apparently.

But yeah, I don't have any confidence that Ford or Chevy will sell any meaningful numbers of retail Pros/WTs over the next few years. Financially, it would be stupid to do so, so they probably won't.

The problem is that they PRETEND like they will, but they probably won't. Even if they stick to a similar percentage of Pros for the next couple years, it may still be several years before current reservation holders who want a Pro can get one. Somewhere around 4% of Lightnings will be Pros this year... which is ~1000 or less. 4% of 80k for 2023 (I think that's the right number, they keep changing it because the person who set the original demand estimate was an idiot) would be 3200 Pros. 4% of 160k for 2024 would be 6400 Pros. That's ~10,600 pros for the first 3 years. And then it's about time for the next Gen. If that's the case, and there's no reason to believe that it won't be, then many, many people who have reservations expecting a Pro will not get a 1st gen Pro. Maybe 50%+ of them. Some of them might move up to more expensive versions, but people who reserved with the plan of getting a Pro, 50%-70% of them might not get one until Gen 2, IMO.
I am not surprised that the Pro is already sold out and that Ford slated it for limited production. If you look at model/trim level figures in the automotive industry in general, stripped vehicles or loss leaders are not the predominant vehicles sold. My suggestion would be to look at cars.com and see what is out there. From prior experience dealers had a few base models and many more higher trim models. It’s just a reality that most folks want creature comforts and that the desire for stripped models is the exception rather than the rule. That said, there is nothing wrong with buying a stripped model (and I have purchased several of them over the years). It’s just that the OEMs in general are not going to produce a lot of them. Hence the starting from language when talking about price.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Ford slated it for limited production
Ford did not make any Public notes about availability as far as I am aware. They also heavily marketed the 40k starting and every article drilled the point that it starts at 40k.

In their "secret" orderbook they had a bar chart of trim expectations. But, that chart suggested around 500 Pros allocated, assuming 15k poduced... They definitely sold less than 100. I'd guess they saw how many people where getting pros and they cut it off for wave 2.

Most knew that ford would limit the Pro sales, but most are surprised just how limited it ended up being...

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
It's obvious that Ford does not want to actually sell the Pro, it's just a come-on and a ploy to make themselves look like heroes when they are actually criminals deceiving reseveration holders into spending more on their more profitable products. They only have the pro at under 40K to go against Cybertruck in the first place.
I was one of the very first to order and Ford has already screwed my over by first hooking my up with a criminal dealer, Tuttle-Click Ford, who was gauging every reserveration order for at least $10K and then when I switched to another dealer, they put me at the back of the line.
Legacy auto makers are still the same old assholes they have always been.
Long Live Tesla

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning Pro sold out [update: confirmed] fordFinal

Sponsored

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
?...Upset people on here.
Ford said it would start at just under $40k, they did just that...Ford didn't promise everyone who wants one will get one at $40k. I have never seen anything that Ford said or did that was out of line with a normal car company.

Even if they sold only one PRO it would still be a valid statement that the lightning started at just under $40k for MY22. And they would still be the ONLY company to actually make a $40k EV truck...Tesla and Chevy can promise any price they want but none of them are closer than Ford is to actually making one. Cyber truck and Silverado EV @$40k are vaporware for now as far as I'm concerned

If you have $40k to throw at a truck, and a place to charge the truck at night...life is pretty damm good even if you don't get a $40k truck

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
?...Upset people on here.
Ford said it would start at just under $40k, they did just that...Ford didn't promise everyone who wants one will get one at $40k.
Cool strawman. No one thought that, so making up things that no one thought so you can pretend like people are disappointed because they were just totally unrealistic is a dumb argument.

Even if they sold only one PRO it would still be a valid statement that the lightning started at just under $40k for MY22.
Thanks for this valuable assessment. Again, no one said otherwise.

Last edited:

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
They could have made a base $1 dollar model and sold one of those and claimed that the Lightning starts at $1.

Tesla pulled this trick with the $35k model 3 and it seems that Ford copied that approach. Tesla is also creative with EPA ranges and while cars rarely reach EPA rating in actual use, none are as far off as Tesla. Maybe Ford copied that trick too.

Horse-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD
The difference is… you could order that model 3 if you knew about it and wanted to. On the range front, at least with Mach E Ford was quite accurate about the range.
They could have made a base $1 dollar model and sold one of those and claimed that the Lightning starts at $1.

Tesla pulled this trick with the $35k model 3 and it seems that Ford copied that approach. Tesla is also creative with EPA ranges and while cars rarely reach EPA rating in actual use, none are as far off as Tesla. Maybe Ford copied that trick too.

Sponsored

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Ford said it would start at just under $40k, they did just that...Ford didn't promise everyone who wants one will get one at $40k. I have never seen anything that Ford said or did that was out of line with a normal car company.
Hey bud, you've got some brown stuff on your nose right there.

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
As long as it helps the stock price, have at it!
Oh man for the stock price I would even reach around ?..thank God for that afternoon rally ? for the rest of the week

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
That’s Tesla SOP though so no surprise to anyone who has followed the company through the years. Just ask all the folks that ordered a standard range RWD Model Y. Tesla DID make them, for about a month, and then abandoned all those orders.

Tha’s two unfortunate trends I’ll pin on Tesla. The megabuck “first/launch/etc editions” and everyone’s rush to have a stupid glass roof. :LOL:
Lol to the stupid glass roof! I almost went for a model Y last spring until i watched a YT review. Guy was bitching that because of the roof and the size of the interior volume, its so hard to keep car cool oh hot days. He keeps A/C on full blast and the temp still wouldn't drop below mid-high 70s. He said that his range decreased because of this as well since A/C runs of same battery obviously. F that.
Sponsored