• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

22 XLT vs PRO

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
So looking at the added features in the XLT vs the Pro in the 2022 model year,
what would be the reasoning for picking an XLT over the Pro for the price difference?

I see the addition of cloth, power seats, 360 cameras, running boards, keyless entry keypad, XM and some others, but did those features plus carpet add enough benefits/upscale feeling to justify the $13k increase for you to choose it over a Pro?

And of you got the XLT delivered, are you satisfied with that decision over the PRO? (I know some were not able to get the PRO)
Sponsored

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m guessing some subset of XLT buyers chose an XLT given supply constraints on the Pro. Iā€™m sure others wanted the upgrades.

bryan995

First Name
FranƧois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
You are correct that there is not 12k of value added. But the same is true for the lariat and platinum relative to the pro.
Pro is the loss leader / unicorn.

22ā€™ Wave 2 here.
The pro was sold out so I did not have a chance at a pro. Ended with a XLT SR.

Reasoning was that it was still better to buy the 22 XLT over waiting for a 22/24/25 pro due to 1) tax credit expiring + disqualifying criteria and 2) potential of price increases to pro MSRP.

Both of which came true. So I am content.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
The price jumps between trims is insane, you can't look at it as a cost effectiveness decision on feature costs alone, it will never make sense. If you want certain features you have to pony up.

Ford intends to sell an $80k+ truck. There is no other conclusion.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Wave 4 order with only Lariat ER available on February 17th....

I originally intended on ordering a Pro with Tow Tech and Max Tow for about $47,000. I was looking for an around town truck more than a road tripper. I would have considered XLT to get the cloth seats, smaller landscape display, lack of some signature lighting, physical buttons, etc. An XLT SR was a better match for my needs with the Pro unavailable.

The other reason for someone to get an XLT instead of the Pro was the ability to order the extended range battery for about $20,000 (mandatory add-ons). Once it got so close to a Lariat ER in price, though, I probably would have ordered the Lariat ER because the final price of each ER trim ended up so close. I did that, although it was because the Lariat was the only trim available at the time moreso than being able to consider XLT ER.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
For me, it was more a PRO vs Lariat conversation.

Iā€™ve grabbed OEM running boards for my Pro. 360 cameras are a part of tow tech. Keyless pad can be added. So it came down to, so I want powered cloth seats? No, but I can upgrade the entire interior to heated/cooling seats and still be cheaper.

The Lariat on the hand has everything I want. But Iā€™m cheap so I bought the Pro. If the Pro wasnā€™t available I probably wouldā€™ve opted for the Lariat instead of the XLT

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
You are correct that there is not 12k of value added. But the same is true for the lariat and platinum relative to the pro.
Pro is the loss leader / unicorn.

22ā€™ Wave 2 here.
The pro was sold out so I did not have a chance at a pro. Ended with a XLT SR.

Reasoning was that it was still better to buy the 22 XLT over waiting for a 22/24/25 pro due to 1) tax credit expiring + disqualifying criteria and 2) potential of price increases to pro MSRP.

Both of which came true. So I am content.
Not to be rude, but neither actually came true.

I also was a Wave 2 and waited for a MY23 Pro, and placed an order. I'm so glad I waited

The extended Tax Credit not only still applies, but its now a Point of Sale instant rebate. (I also happen to be lucky as my State, Oregon, has $7,500 off at point of sale...so I get $15,000 off at point of sale).

While they did in fact raise the MSRP, Ford notified me twice during the order process that they would be honoring the MY22 Pro MSRP price because i extended my reservation. My dealer confirmed it would be an instant rebate at time of sale in the tune of $6k-$8k.

So while the MSRP may appear high, I actually get between $21k and $23k off at the time of sale. Depending on my configuration the truck is sub-$29k out the door.

I have the time, and patience...not everyone does. Cost was a very important deciding factor for my family.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro

I also was a Wave 2 and waited for a MY23 Pro, and placed an order. I'm so glad I waited

The extended Tax Credit not only still applies, but its now a Point of Sale instant rebate. (I also happen to be lucky as my State, Oregon, has $7,500 off at point of sale...so I get $15,000 off at point of sale).

While they did in fact raise the MSRP, Ford notified me twice during the order process that they would be honoring the MY22 Pro MSRP price because i extended my reservation. My dealer confirmed it would be an instant rebate at time of sale in the tune of $6k-$8k.

So while the MSRP may appear high, I actually get between $21k and $23k off at the time of sale. Depending on my configuration the truck is sub-$29k out the door.

I have the time, and patience...not everyone does. Cost was a very important deciding factor for my family.
I don't expect to get the whole $7500 tax credit next year because of the battery material requirements, so there's maybe $3750 difference vs getting a MY22 Pro, and there's something to be said for getting a truck now vs a year from now for us who "extended", but I'm happy with my decision to wait, too, rather than go with a much more expensive version.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
but its now a Point of Sale instant rebate
just one note: under the new bill, I believe itā€™s still a tax credit only for deliveries in 2023 and the point of sale rebate doesnā€™t begin until 2024

caveat that none of it is clear enough yet

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
just one note: under the new bill, I believe itā€™s still a tax credit only for deliveries in 2023 and the point of sale rebate doesnā€™t begin until 2024

caveat that none of it is clear enough yet
Good point.

I'll still be able to utilize the full rebate and the State one is point of sale, luckily.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Good point.

I'll still be able to utilize the full rebate and the State one is point of sale, luckily.
sound alike youā€™re in a great posture there in Oregon!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
So looking at the added features in the XLT vs the Pro in the 2022 model year,
what would be the reasoning for picking an XLT over the Pro for the price difference?

I see the addition of cloth, power seats, 360 cameras, running boards, keyless entry keypad, XM and some others, but did those features plus carpet add enough benefits/upscale feeling to justify the $13k increase for you to choose it over a Pro?

And of you got the XLT delivered, are you satisfied with that decision over the PRO? (I know some were not able to get the PRO)
The $13k difference is clearly not even close to justified by the slight changes from Pro->XLT, objectively, BUT there was something to be said for locking in a MY22 XLT order before the many unknown variables with future model years. We didn't know if there would be big price increases, personal offers to extenders, whether Ford would allow another round of line-cutting (prioritization), drop the retail Pro altogether, only make 500 pros again, give extenders preference, not build anymore Pros until Autumn '23, etc. So, some people may have just really put a lot of value on certain differences or they could have put a lot of value on a sure thing rather than risk all the variables above by waiting. I think choosing the MY22 XLT SR was a reasonable decision at the time, and it would look like a genius move if Ford cancelled the retail Pro or only made a few hundred again, or didn't offer the discount to "extenders", etc.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I was interested in the Pro until it was only available with the standard range battery. Then I was interested in a loaded XLT with the extended range battery - that is until final pricing came out. For approximately $3K, it did not make sense to stay with the XLT given the additional equipment that comes with the Lariat. Hence, the Lariat ER is what I chose.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
There wasn't a choice.

Drove the XLT yesterday though and it's exceptional

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist

Yea...but you just got lucky with the tax credit and you had no idea when pushing your order if they would honor the 2022 price.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN