• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

quintin671

First Name
Quintin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I haven't really posted much but I have been reading on these forums for months so I feel it's time I give back.

First of all, so far the truck is amazing!! I can repeat the same stuff people are saying, but I think everyone already knows that. I just got it yesterday, and probably shouldn't be taking it camping with me, but here I am and here are some stats that I haven't seen too much. Especially when it comes to lower speed limits like in Oregon.

Stats
RV:
23' tow behind, your typical non aerodynamic RV with about 4400 lbs dry weight and some gear (tanks are empty its probably ~4700lbs)
Start: Portland, OR, 80% state of charge
End: Government Camp, OR, about 67 miles with a 23% state of charge
Elevation Gain: ~4000ft, mostly up hill haven't returned yet.
Used: About ~57% to travel 67 miles
Average Speed: ~5mph over the speed limit, so in Oregon that's a nice slow 60mph. I didn't push it I didn't accelerate hard, just normal easy driving.

Towing is awesome, doesn't squat much at all. I left my load levelers off, it bounces a little, you do notice the trailer, but you don't notice much at all in the pedal. I'm going to tow the reverse direction with them on.

Currently I'm sitting charging while typing this up, but the plan is to continue about 23 more miles, dry camp and try out some of the pro power onboard without using too much then return home. At first I was hoping to get about 50% range but after seeing the TFL video, I think about 1/3 of the range is more reasonable, and even less in states that have higher speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if I towed 4000lbs more and if it got the same range, all comes to how tall it is.

I'll report back with the reverse stats and some pictures, can't really upload much with the current hotspot, I expect it to be slightly better going downhill.

Ford F-150 Lightning 23' Travel Trailer Road Trip - Lightning Towing Report f150 lightning towing trailer
Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Love these stats - thanks for sharing. So you used something like 57% of your battery to go 67miles. That's like 1.26mile per kWh. Not bad.

Last edited:

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat

Sponsored
OP
OP

quintin671

First Name
Quintin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Overall camping was awesome with it! We used 10% while camping not really caring too much about the power consumption as it barely touches it.

Return Trip:
33% used for the exact same route. But in reverse direction.

To: 0.9 mi/kWh
Return: 1.57 mi/kWh
Avg: 1.14 mi/kWh

Return trip included, 1 - 1.5 hours of "idling" with the AC on while getting food with the dogs in the car. Also, we had water in the tanks at the top of the mountain, and emptied them at the bottom. Not sure how much that made a difference, possibly just cancelled each other.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is a great example of how even chargers in less populated areas are not equipped for towing. 7 spaces occupied, and if someone else wants to charge they're blocking the departure.

That's what the $7.5B has to solve.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
That's what the $7.5B has to solve.
Be careful not to trigger the "infrastructure must come solely from private investments, except that which benefits me" crowd.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Be careful not to trigger the "infrastructure must come solely from private investments, except that which benefits me" crowd.
That's politics, and isn't allowed.

My point is the picture shows how charging infrastructure, even in remote areas, is unprepared for vehicles towing. At EA locations, virtually none of them would even allow that kind of charging due to the way lanes are constructed, you'd have to disconnect, charge, and then reconnect.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I don't tow anything but no one wants chargers to be blocked when charger availability is the critical to acceptance. Making enough "pull through" spots will be important in adoption given how many people to tow their trailers/campers/etc.

I also think giving Tesla an incentive to open the SC network is money well spent, but does little to nothing to solve the problem with towing.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Overall camping was awesome with it! We used 10% while camping not really caring too much about the power consumption as it barely touches it.

Return Trip:
33% used for the exact same route. But in reverse direction.

To: 0.9 mi/kWh
Return: 1.57 mi/kWh
Avg: 1.14 mi/kWh

Return trip included, 1 - 1.5 hours of "idling" with the AC on while getting food with the dogs in the car. Also, we had water in the tanks at the top of the mountain, and emptied them at the bottom. Not sure how much that made a difference, possibly just cancelled each other.
Quintin:

Do you mind sharing the location where you camped? Mt. Hood area?

OP
OP

quintin671

First Name
Quintin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
FYI: I do agree what you mean on the infrastructure / parking debate with trailers. But if I had zoomed out in my photo, it is a very large empty ski parking lot, that has minimal usage during the summer. So blocking that many spots is nothing

@Firestop Timothy Lake, recharged at ski bowl on way up only. Stats are to and from ski bowl only, not including the 24 miles (48 miles total) to and from ski bowl to Timothy Lake.

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
Completely agree on the charger layout... even in town, the truck is too long for the parking spaces and hangs out in to the roadway. Parking garages are the worst!

Even towing a travel trailer with my ICE truck, I had to tie up 4 gas pumps while I filled up and often had to skip stations because there is no clean way in or out. Granted, there are far more gas stations and you're blocking it for less time, but just highlighting that when building out that infrastructure for cars and trucks, trailering must not be that much of a consideration.

Ford F-150 Lightning 23' Travel Trailer Road Trip - Lightning Towing Report IMG_2839 (2)
Ford F-150 Lightning 23' Travel Trailer Road Trip - Lightning Towing Report IMG_2777

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think those of us who have experience in towing, and have not only towed longer RVs and trailers, but may have even driven LARGE MOTORHOMES WHILE TOWING A PERSONAL VEHICLE, have few reservations when it comes to getting into a charging station - it may actually be EASIER than trying to fill up with gas or diesel at Gas Stations!
Yes, you have to plan your entry, and know your exit strategy, and yes, there WILL be a time when someone 'blocks' you, although it's not as bad as all that. Yes, sometimes you WILL block others, but you have to park where you have to park to make it happen. Don't be too apologetic about that.

Several years ago we were traveling the country, and Canada(the 'other' country!), and even Alaska in that 35' large diesel motorhome, towing our Ford Focus behind. We were a train of 50+ feet of a traveling family. Did I use only truck stops for diesel? Hell no. The prices at truck stops are crazy high compared to most regular gas stations, especially Walmart's MURPHY stations, which are the TIGHTEST and hardest to maneuver large vehicles into/out of. But, we did it anyway, and were never apologetic about 'gassing up' where the financial picture made sense. We never really saw any negative byproduct from that, but there are times when you really have to be planning how to get OUT, more than how to get IN!

Few people also know a little unknown 'secret' of the Large Motorhome transport world, which I helped with for several years. Large long 45' motorhomes, while towing a personal vehicle behind, aren't the most easy maneuvering 'train' to wrestle into and out of gas stations. But, having said that, that's just what I did... and the Main reason is that I, me, myself, was responsible for the cost of DIESEL, not the transport company! That makes you think REALLY HARD about where you stop for fuel on a 1,500 mile journey from N Indiana to an RV Dealer in Florida - you don't stop at a truck stop, which might seem more convenient, when the cost of diesel for your 100 gallon tank is $4.00, when a 'regular' large format fuel station/convenience store has diesel for $3.50 right across the street, or down just the next exit. Think about that. It hurts if you do. $50.
Not from MY pocket.
Sponsored

Last edited: