• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2nd Generation Lightning Prediction and Wishlist

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
As Silverado EV and Cyvertruck are coming and RAM ev is on the way, Ford must also be busy working on 2nd gen 2025 Lightning. I am interested in your opinio, prediction and wishlist.

I predict it will not be box shaped anymore but rather aerodynamic shaped to increase freeway mileage.

Wishlist? Maybe make air suspension, 4 wheel steering, 150kWh battery with 400 miles range available, all as options.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
800V architecture (or higher) and a heat pump should be a minimum.

Bonuses: Nicer interior (on par with Ram and new generation GM trucks), a physical knob for the AC/heater. Optional: air compressor, HUD, night vision.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As Silverado EV and Cyvertruck are coming and RAM ev is on the way, Ford must also be busy working on 2nd gen 2025 Lightning. I am interested in your opinio, prediction and wishlist.

I predict it will not be bo shaped anymore but rather aerodynamic shaped to increase freeway mileahe.

Wishlist? Maybe make air suspension, 4 wheel steering, 150kWh battery with 400 miles range availa.
I could see air suspension (as an option) for highway efficiency. Maybe a bigger battery option, but that would have to be balanced against production volume. They will still be battery constrained and the bigger the batteries they use, the less trucks they can build. I hope they don't go with 4 wheel steering, or at least make it optional. That is a lot extra to break that I don't want.

As for other predictions, I agree on the more aero shape - hope it still looks good. Maybe slightly smaller in overall dimensions to reduce the front cross sectional area. I can see them using LFP batteries in the lower trims to save cost. Since they are ditching AM radio in 2023, they will likely get rid of the whip antenna.

Big wish - some actual COLOR options!

OP
OP
Roy2001

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
800V architecture (or higher) and a heat pump should be a minimum.
800v charging (with 350kW) and heat pump would be definitely in new model.

I suspect it would be radically shaped between Silverado EV and Cybertruck.

OP
OP
Roy2001

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I could see air suspension (as an option) for highway efficiency. Maybe a bigger battery option, but that would have to be balanced against production volume. They will still be battery constrained and the bigger the batteries they use, the less trucks they can build. I hope they don't go with 4 wheel steering, or at least make it optional. That is a lot extra to break that I don't want.
The volume in 2025 won't be a problem and 4 wheel steering is definitely an option, it won't be standard.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The volume in 2025 won't be a problem and 4 wheel steering is definitely an option, it won't be standard.
I disagree - battery volume is going to be an issue for the next 10+ years. The push is for 100% (or close) of new production to be EVs by 2035 while the current course only gets us to 40% to 50%. Every automaker is going to be scrambling for batteries and demand is going to be surging in China and India. How many EVs are made and sold is going to completely depend on how many batteries can be manufactured.

Reactions: kab

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
I suspect it will be 800v and Unibody at minimum.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Cyvertruck are coming

The year is 2035, Ford/GM/Rivian are on their 4th generation EV trucks, people still mentioning that Cybertruck is coming... Elon's Engineers still figuring how to to form panels for mass production and devise a workaround for the windshield wiper...

dbergstone

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, reservation for F150 lightning
I'm looking for a work truck, not a people hauler that I know many are using

gear shifter will be dash knob or stalk mounted, no longer a folding shifter taking up unnecessary room in center storage?
all models have work table option? Maybe even a large sliding panel on front instead of folding over?
option of different bed sizes (at least 6.5ft), especially for pro model, offset by extended cab?

I worry about the rear outlets, if I have a load of gravel or dirt in the rear will that potentially damage or cause issues beyond just being inaccessible? Do those need to be in another location not blocked if a bed is full? Even only if exposed when tailgate is open (such as on edge of bed), or just a flap on front passenger opposite where charging port is located. Bring back old fuel filler cap and put it under that?

maybe it is getting older but in general Ford doesn't seem to be pursuing the built in bumper or other integrated step for easier access into bed, storage on sides seems useful but not as much with Frunk available

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
400 mile battery, using a 150 kWh or less battery pack. GMC showed us that you can make anything go 300 miles if you shove enough batteries into it, but I'm not interested in waiting a week for a full charge at a 350 kW charger.

Other than that - as long as it can still haul stuff and go offroad - I'm fine with whatever they come up with.

Sponsored

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
I'm looking for a work truck, not a people hauler that I know many are using.
Option of different bed sizes (at least 6.5ft), especially for pro model, offset by extended cab?
This! It's usually just me and the dog anyway.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
How about a nicer interior and a MUCH cheaper price. No reason an EV should be over $30k more expensive than the ICE version when there isn't a whole lot of difference.
Also, maybe it should have less power/torque to cut costs a bit. It is great to have the power this truck has, but it is not needed. Trucks do not need to take off like you just got rear-ended by someone.

dbergstone

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, reservation for F150 lightning
+1

Completely unnecessary! LCD screen should allow you do that and physical buttons could be used as backup like Tesla.
I thought about that but whatever is easiest. My brother-in-law has a Ram with on-dash shifting by just turning a knob. Seems like the shifter that doesn't really shift anything physically no longer needs to be positioned in the middle and that it can fold down seems silly for something that shouldn't be there in the first place.
Sponsored