• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Griswold22

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
smart EQ, Honda Pilot
Thanks for those insights !
Come September, I should be able to share my experience towing a 20’ Geo Pro similar to the one on your last photo. I’m hoping to reach 125 miles (200km) with a trailer about half the weight of your Airstream.
Carrying a 7 500 watts dual fuel generator on longer trips and hard to reach destinations (longer interval or no charging stations), I plan on running the trailers AC with the truck at night when dry camping and charge the truck with the generator during the day.
Have you tried running the AC with the truck ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
Thanks for those insights !
Come September, I should be able to share my experience towing a 20’ Geo Pro similar to the one on your last photo. I’m hoping to reach 125 miles (200km) with a trailer about half the weight of your Airstream.
Carrying a 7 500 watts dual fuel generator on longer trips and hard to reach destinations (longer interval or no charging stations), I plan on running the trailers AC with the truck at night when dry camping and charge the truck with the generator during the day.
Have you tried running the AC with the truck ?
I did, and it functions fine. I have a slow starter on our AC that allows it to run on a standard 20amp house plug, so it's probably not the best example.

My FIL has a 20' Geo Pro, and his hit to the gas mileage of our ICE F-150 is about the same as the airstream. Sure you will be fine depending on the terrain.

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
Not long after mine arrives, I'll be putting it to the test with a 32' Grand Design Imagine 3400BH.... will be close to max load and not the slightest bit aerodynamic. My ICE GMC sees about 50% of the expected range.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Not long after mine arrives, I'll be putting it to the test with a 32' Grand Design Imagine 3400BH.... will be close to max load and not the slightest bit aerodynamic. My ICE GMC sees about 50% of the expected range.
Looking forward to hearing the results! Please share when the time comes.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
But I read on the internet that the lightning runs out of juice after 60 miles! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though these trucks clearly need more range for towing...

Sponsored

bri0528

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2020 Explorer
Be careful, the owners manual advises against using BlueCruise with a trailer:

Ford F-150 Lightning 300 Mile Trip to Frankfort with the Lightning - Thoughts and Stats with the Airstream in tow 1655821331415

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
But I read on the internet that the lightning runs out of juice after 60 miles! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though these trucks clearly need more range for towing...
I have a SR coming and I don't intend to tow much, but this info would indicate you'll get about 70 miles per charge with a SR.

The current administration is working to mandate charging stations every 50 miles on interstates, so it could be possible to tow a trailer even with a SR. Depending how far your camp site is from your house, you certainly will need to add a few hours to the trip. At a minimum, campgrounds will need to start adding Level 2 chargers, which would mean you could camp anywhere that's < 70 miles from an interstate. Though it's not the interstate that scares me going forward, it's the challenges you might run into if your destination is a rural area a few hours off of the interstate.

Last edited:

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Great write up! I love seeing the the details about journeys like this and figuring out the true capabilities of the truck.

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightening Lariat Extended Range
Great write up. Thanks! I went back and forth between F150 EV and 8-cyclinder ICE (6.5 box, 6 seater, the 8-cyclinder ICE is for towing with 36 gal tank). Glad to know EV RV towing is doable, though must be planned carefully.

I don't like the shorter box and the huge fixed center console, but it's a small price to pay for an EV.

bigskylightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat (Extended Range)
I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to report. We're considering selling our 25ft Safari Airstream for a lighter trailer - we haven't pulled it yet anywhere, but we have a similar truck (2023 Lariat Lightning) and, presumably, range. I'll keep a look out for a similar report with a trailer like the ones we're considering for a final decision.
Sponsored