• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

511A builds - missing standard features (onboard scale smart hitch)

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I placed my order on 11/15 and it's scheduled for production on 1/9. After it was submitted by my dealership I took a look over the features and saw the onboard-scale smart hitch option was removed, even though it had the check mark when I was placing my order online. I talked to the build/price team via Ford's chat and they said it was a standard feature on the 511A, but then I called customer service and they told me it was removed due to chip shortage.

I see some threads talk about chip shortages and one mentioned 511A builds, but I wanted to see if this was a common issue. The main problem I have is when selecting all the features, the onboard scale smart hitch box had a blue check, but it was not included in my build. I'm not sure which Ford representative to believe and how hard I should push.
Sponsored

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
My 2023 Lariat with 511A does not have the Onboard scales or the heated steering wheel and maybe something else... These features were all removed due to chip shortage. I think that there is some sort of plan for Ford to address these missing features down the line in some way, but for now, I think they are leaving them out of all 2023 Lariats with 511A.

OP
OP

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
My 2023 Lariat with 511A does not have the Onboard scales or the heated steering wheel and maybe something else... These features were all removed due to chip shortage. I think that there is some sort of plan for Ford to address these missing features down the line in some way, but for now, I think they are leaving them out of all 2023 Lariats with 511A.
That's what I thought and was afraid of, but was confused since I was told it was standard for the 511A and the UI when order the truck has it with a blue check.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
You will have a credit like I have on my window sticker

ONBOARD SCALE/SMART HITCH RMVL - 650.00

Pdxguy

First Name
La
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE, Toyota Tacoma, Audi
Posted this elsewhere so apologies for the duplication :Here’s what my dealer sent me after I pushed back on the heated steering wheel. Grateful to this forum for the knowledge that allowed me to dig deeper.

Not all the options will apply to your trim, or all the removals.
————————-
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Subject: Product Offering Change to your 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning

Dear Valued F-150 Lightning Customer: So that we can produce your vehicle more quickly, Ford will be making the following changes to the 2023 F-150 Lightning. Due to the global semiconductor shortage and supply chain constraints, your 2023 F-150 Lightning is not equipped with the feature(s) checked below, as they are not currently available.

We know this is not ideal and not the experience we aim for as a brand. But we also know that getting a new vehicle is an important and exciting time, so we are doing everything we can to help deliver on that, despite these global challenges. Thank you for your understanding & continued support.

For each checked feature below, the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of your vehicle has been reduced by the amount indicated, and your vehicle will not be retrofit. This adjustment will be reflected on your window label.

Ă° Onboard Scales with Smart Hitch Removal o On-board Scales measure and display the approximate weight of the payload in the truck. o Smart Hitch measures the tongue weight of a trailer being connected, to help the customer distribute trailer weight correctly. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $650.

ð Multi-Contour Seats with Active Motion® (Driver and Passenger) Removal o This feature delivers a seat back and bottom massage. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $300.

ð 20” Wheel All-Season Tire Removal o 20” All-Season tires have been replaced by 275/60R20 BSW All-Terrain tires on this vehicle. o All-Terrain tires improve traction on off-road surfaces like loose gravel, sand, and rocks as well as wet, snowy, and icy surfaces. They will also have a small impact on the range, max payload and towing capacity of your vehicle, but as always, actual results depend on how you use your vehicle and the other options and accessories you’ve selected. The max payload and towing capacity specific to your vehicle will be listed on your vehicle’s doorjamb. o The MSRP of affected vehicles is not impacted.

ð Advanced Security Pack Inclination / Intrusion Sensor Removal o This feature provides vehicle inclination / intrusion sensors which when activated, trigger the vehicle alarm. The truck remains equipped with Perimeter Alarm and SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $50.

Each of the optional items checked below have been removed from your vehicle, and you will not be charged for these items.

Ă° Max Recline Seats Removal o This optional feature provides seats that fold flat to nearly 180 degrees. o There will be no charge for this optional feature.

Your vehicle will be retrofit with the following checked features when the features become available. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) has been reduced by the amount indicated. This MSRP adjustment will be reflected on your window label.

Ă° Heated Steering Wheel Functionality Removal o This feature provides heat to the steering wheel. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $50 o We are currently projecting that this feature will be available late 2023. However, due to global supply constraints, further delays to this timing could occur. o When the Heated Steering Wheel functionality becomes available your dealer will install it on your vehicle at no cost to you.

Your dealership will contact you to arrange a time for this installation that is convenient for you. Please know that we value you as a customer and appreciate your understanding as we navigate through these constantly changing times together. Acknowledgment By providing my signature below, I understand and agree as follows:

• This vehicle is not equipped with the above checked feature(s), and this will not constitute a defect with respect to my vehicle. Unless otherwise noted above, the vehicle will not be retrofit with these features.

• Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is projected to be available late 2023, however due to the global semiconductor chip shortage and supply chain constraints, this timing could be extended; and • I will be contacted when Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is available, and my dealer will install Heated Steering Wheel Functionality at no additional cost to me. ____________________ _____ Customer Signature Date

Sponsored
OP
OP

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Posted this elsewhere so apologies for the duplication :Here’s what my dealer sent me after I pushed back on the heated steering wheel. Grateful to this forum for the knowledge that allowed me to dig deeper.

Not all the options will apply to your trim, or all the removals.
————————-
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Subject: Product Offering Change to your 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning

Dear Valued F-150 Lightning Customer: So that we can produce your vehicle more quickly, Ford will be making the following changes to the 2023 F-150 Lightning. Due to the global semiconductor shortage and supply chain constraints, your 2023 F-150 Lightning is not equipped with the feature(s) checked below, as they are not currently available.

We know this is not ideal and not the experience we aim for as a brand. But we also know that getting a new vehicle is an important and exciting time, so we are doing everything we can to help deliver on that, despite these global challenges. Thank you for your understanding & continued support.

For each checked feature below, the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of your vehicle has been reduced by the amount indicated, and your vehicle will not be retrofit. This adjustment will be reflected on your window label.

Ă° Onboard Scales with Smart Hitch Removal o On-board Scales measure and display the approximate weight of the payload in the truck. o Smart Hitch measures the tongue weight of a trailer being connected, to help the customer distribute trailer weight correctly. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $650.

ð Multi-Contour Seats with Active Motion® (Driver and Passenger) Removal o This feature delivers a seat back and bottom massage. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $300.

ð 20” Wheel All-Season Tire Removal o 20” All-Season tires have been replaced by 275/60R20 BSW All-Terrain tires on this vehicle. o All-Terrain tires improve traction on off-road surfaces like loose gravel, sand, and rocks as well as wet, snowy, and icy surfaces. They will also have a small impact on the range, max payload and towing capacity of your vehicle, but as always, actual results depend on how you use your vehicle and the other options and accessories you’ve selected. The max payload and towing capacity specific to your vehicle will be listed on your vehicle’s doorjamb. o The MSRP of affected vehicles is not impacted.

ð Advanced Security Pack Inclination / Intrusion Sensor Removal o This feature provides vehicle inclination / intrusion sensors which when activated, trigger the vehicle alarm. The truck remains equipped with Perimeter Alarm and SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $50.

Each of the optional items checked below have been removed from your vehicle, and you will not be charged for these items.

Ă° Max Recline Seats Removal o This optional feature provides seats that fold flat to nearly 180 degrees. o There will be no charge for this optional feature.

Your vehicle will be retrofit with the following checked features when the features become available. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) has been reduced by the amount indicated. This MSRP adjustment will be reflected on your window label.

Ă° Heated Steering Wheel Functionality Removal o This feature provides heat to the steering wheel. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $50 o We are currently projecting that this feature will be available late 2023. However, due to global supply constraints, further delays to this timing could occur. o When the Heated Steering Wheel functionality becomes available your dealer will install it on your vehicle at no cost to you.

Your dealership will contact you to arrange a time for this installation that is convenient for you. Please know that we value you as a customer and appreciate your understanding as we navigate through these constantly changing times together. Acknowledgment By providing my signature below, I understand and agree as follows:

• This vehicle is not equipped with the above checked feature(s), and this will not constitute a defect with respect to my vehicle. Unless otherwise noted above, the vehicle will not be retrofit with these features.

• Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is projected to be available late 2023, however due to the global semiconductor chip shortage and supply chain constraints, this timing could be extended; and • I will be contacted when Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is available, and my dealer will install Heated Steering Wheel Functionality at no additional cost to me. ____________________ _____ Customer Signature Date
Thanks for that! I tried finding this answer in other threads, but couldn't find an exact answer. I guess I'll need to reach out to my dealership to make sure I can get the same deal as you regarding the heated steering wheel.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The dealer should have contacted you like @Pdxguy 's dealer did to inform you of the changes.

One other thing, you may be getting confused jargon from customer service reps because the deletions actually appear in the order guide as mandatory options required to get the order accepted. So, the features in the package are still there, but you have to select the option to delete them to place an order.

OP
OP

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The dealer should have contacted you like @Pdxguy 's dealer did to inform you of the changes.

One other thing, you may be getting confused jargon from customer service reps because the deletions actually appear in the order guide as mandatory options required to get the order accepted. So, the features in the package are still there, but you have to select the option to delete them to place an order.
That's where I was confused. I ordered online and it was selected with a blue check via the UI, but when I scrolled down, they automatically had it removed. I don't know why they would still show it as selected with the blue check if it was removed because when I unselected the option, it was added back onto the order. I ended up placing my order with it removed, but didn't come to this realization until after the fact.

I just went to my order and it looks like they took the heated steering wheel completely off the build option unless it's hidden somewhere under another option.

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
The blue check mark is actually the selection to REMOVE the features, not add it. If you de-select the removal option, it will try to add the scales/smart hitch, and your order will get stuck due to the option not being available. If you saw the blue check, you are accepting the removal of the scales/smart hitch, which is done by default so they can actually build your truck.
Ford F-150 Lightning 511A builds - missing standard features (onboard scale smart hitch) 1670531049919

OP
OP

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The blue check mark is actually the selection to REMOVE the features, not add it. If you de-select the removal option, it will try to add the scales/smart hitch, and your order will get stuck due to the option not being available. If you saw the blue check, you are accepting the removal of the scales/smart hitch, which is done by default so they can actually build your truck.
1670531049919.png
I'm not following that logic. I see what clicking the blue check actually does, but it's very confusing. Just thinking out loud here and not expecting you to have the answer, but why would the 511A (and every other option that is selected for your build) be marked with a blue check mark? If it followed the same logic as the blue check for on-board scale, that would mean you removed the option from your build. Every option has a '+' icon and when you click the '+' option, it is added to your order, but for the onboard scale it's opposite?
Ford F-150 Lightning 511A builds - missing standard features (onboard scale smart hitch) 1670584730902

When you deselect an option, the blue check changes to a '+' icon. Normally, when you click a '+' button, it adds something like in the case of every other option except onboard scale. It seems like that's a bug in ford's system since clicking the '+' button actually removes the feature.
Ford F-150 Lightning 511A builds - missing standard features (onboard scale smart hitch) 1670584808616

Sponsored

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
I totally agree, the logic isn’t straightforward. But if you follow the order guide releases back to July we saw them add that “removal” option in August right when those components became a supply constraint. By default the scales/hitch had to be removed from Tow Tech, that was the way Ford decided to make it clear to new orders. It’s also listed in the Tow Tech info but they knew that was a new change in the package as of August and probably thought it wouldn’t be a good look without adding some explicit selection for users to consent to the removal. Probably not what you want to hear, but that’s my understanding. Hope that helps!

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Does anyone know what the *actual part* is that is missing for the Smart Scales? Is this something we could maybe source and add ourselves down the road at a later date?

moder8tor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lariat Lightning, 18 F250 Lariat Diesel
Occupation
hard worker
My Dealer, in Prescott Arizona refused to give me the "ford charge station Pro" even though it is listed as part of the 511A package and the charge station ford web page says its in every 2023 lariat with the extended range battery. He says it would have been listed explicitly on the sticker if it was included. Its funny because no other 511A options were listed, on the sticker (just "511A package") and all the non available ones mentioned above were explicitly listed as removed. Not so for the charge station pro. I think my ford Prescott dealer screwed me. Has anyone else found this to be true or is it just my Prescott dealer?

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My Dealer, in Prescott Arizona refused to give me the "ford charge station Pro" even though it is listed as part of the 511A package and the charge station ford web page says its in every 2023 lariat with the extended range battery. He says it would have been listed explicitly on the sticker if it was included. Its funny because no other 511A options were listed, on the sticker (just "511A package") and all the non available ones mentioned above were explicitly listed as removed. Not so for the charge station pro. I think my ford Prescott dealer screwed me. Has anyone else found this to be true or is it just my Prescott dealer?
It gets sent in the mail. Sunrun is supposed to call you. You can call them and ask https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning

moder8tor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lariat Lightning, 18 F250 Lariat Diesel
Occupation
hard worker
That confirms that my dealer is completely misinformed. I called sunrun right away gave them my vin number and they are working on it. I am hoping for the best.
thank you.

Update. It was shipped to my Prescott dealer on February 28. My Prescott dealer won't give it to me. This confirms my scam thoughts.
Sponsored

Last edited: