• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

A fateful decision... Am I making the wrong call?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
But probably not what you think.

First a little background. I current have 2 cars for myself, a 2016 F150 XLT and a 2019 GT350 (obviously a Lightning reserved - likely a 2023). I have a daughter going to college in 2023 and just realized this morning that my factory powertrain warranty on the GT350 runs out in July 2024. Once I realized that, I got nervous about the Voodoo motor grenading off warranty.

So - I talked it over with the wife and it really makes sense to sell the GT350 in the fall of 2023 and use the money + lack of payment to make paying for college much easier and also bump my Lightning plans from an XLT to a loaded Lariat.

But I love my GT350...

Am I making the wrong call?
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
But probably not what you think.

First a little background. I current have 2 cars for myself, a 2016 F150 XLT and a 2019 GT350 (obviously a Lightning reserved - likely a 2023). I have a daughter going to college in 2023 and just realized this morning that my factory powertrain warranty on the GT350 runs out in July 2024. Once I realized that, I got nervous about the Voodoo motor grenading off warranty.

So - I talked it over with the wife and it really makes sense to sell the GT350 in the fall of 2023 and use the money + lack of payment to make paying for college much easier and also bump my Lightning plans from an XLT to a loaded Lariat.

But I love my GT350...

Am I making the wrong call?
I didn't have as nice of a sports car as you, but I sold my 2018 Focus ST after I put a reservation in for a Lightning. It was my extra fun-to-drive car and wasn't needed for everyday use. I figured I can have fun hot-rodding around in the Lightning. It was paid off and flawless.

That being said, I haven't missed the extra insurance cost, and I got top dollar for it. I was offered around $1200 less than what I paid for it, including taxes, and it had almost 30k miles on it. Right now you can get top dollar for used cars.

I know in my heart I made the right choice, but damn I miss that car.

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
Very hard decision for sure. I was in a similar although it was a Camaro SS ( not close to a GT350 but my toy) Once I got the trade in price approx 1k after tax credit from the price I paid for it five years ago. It was an ez decision. If you are going to sell now is a great time to recover your purchase price. Looks like used cars are going to hold their value for some time. Just saw a story about a magnesium shortage. No magnesium no aluminum no car parts! Eventually things will equalize and used cars prices will drop. I think just the fact you are thinking about it means it’s not a forever car. I’ll miss the Camaro it was a great car but it was really just a toy. Get an est sales price might make your decision ez too. Good luck with your decision.

Ford F-150 Lightning A fateful decision... Am I making the wrong call? 727818D8-2912-40C0-884F-689700325600

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Very hard decision for sure. I was in a similar although it was a Camaro SS ( not close to a GT350 but my toy) Once I got the trade in price approx 1k after tax credit from the price I paid for it five years ago. It was an ez decision. If you are going to sell now is a great time to recover your purchase price. Looks like used cars are going to hold their value for some time. Just saw a story about a magnesium shortage. No magnesium no aluminum no car parts! Eventually things will equalize and used cars prices will drop. I think just the fact you are thinking about it means it’s not a forever car. I’ll miss the Camaro it was a great car but it was really just a toy. Get an est sales price might make your decision ez too. Good luck with your decision.

727818D8-2912-40C0-884F-689700325600.jpeg
Yeah, right now I could get about 5k over what I paid for it, but still planning to hold on to it for 2 more years. Hopefully the prices hold at least somewhat.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I don't know. TBH after looking at the Lariat and the XLT I'm leaning towards the XLT whereas I was pretty sure before I'd want the Lariat.

Other than Leather and the 15.5 screen..it really didn't seem to be that much more "upscale"-- certainly not $8-10k more upscale(my opinion).

If actually liked the look of the 12in landscape vs the vertical screen...if it has the same capability.

The wild card is blue cruise...I kinda want that--not sure if its gonna be offered on the XLT.

Then there is the whole tax credit "cap" issue. A Lariat with extended battery will likely be $75-80k price range.

Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cayman T
Occupation
Attorney
I don't blame you for not wanting to own a Voodoo motor out of warranty

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Just to throw a monkey wrench into you thinking. You may be able to get a Ford extended warranty to cover that engine.

You know you’re gonna hate yourself after selling it..

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't know. TBH after looking at the Lariat and the XLT I'm leaning towards the XLT whereas I was pretty sure before I'd want the Lariat.

Other than Leather and the 15.5 screen..it really didn't seem to be that much more "upscale"-- certainly not $8-10k more upscale(my opinion).

If actually liked the look of the 12in landscape vs the vertical screen...if it has the same capability.

The wild card is blue cruise...I kinda want that--not sure if its gonna be offered on the XLT.

Then there is the whole tax credit "cap" issue. A Lariat with extended battery will likely be $75-80k price range.
Yeah, I can see both sides of that. Lariat had a number of things I want (either as options or standard)

- leather
- cooled seats
- nicer steering wheel
-tailgate with light bar
-wireless phone charging
-ambient lighting
-moon roof option
- blue cruise

Is all of that worth the upgrade price? Maybe. But if I am giving up my GT350, I want a little luxury to soften the blow.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Hard decision. These cars are the last of their kind, I’m not sure what I would do.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I can see both sides of that. Lariat had a number of things I want (either as options or standard)

- leather
- cooled seats
- nicer steering wheel
-tailgate with light bar
-wireless phone charging
-ambient lighting
-moon roof option
- blue cruise

Is all of that worth the upgrade price? Maybe. But if I am giving up my GT350, I want a little luxury to soften the blow.
Personally, I'd go for the XLT and keep the GT350...if you can swing it financially.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I c
Personally, I'd go for the XLT and keep the GT350...if you can swing it financially.
I can afford both assuming no major repair bills, bit Voodoo failure rates are 1 to 2 percent and replacement cost is $40k+. That, I can't afford. So it is a question of risk. If the motor holds up fine, I would be fine (and enjoying life). If it fails, I basically have scrap....

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think it's the wrong call - but you do have the luxury of driving that GT350 if the Lightning is the vehicle that ends up giving you problems. ("Stop Safely Now" comes to mind). That's a nice insurance policy for you.

I feel like used car values are going to be propped up for a bit; all the shortages seem to be getting only worse.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I c
I can afford both assuming no major repair bills, bit Voodoo failure rates are 1 to 2 percent and replacement cost is $40k+. That, I can't afford. So it is a question of risk. If the motor holds up fine, I would be fine (and enjoying life). If it fails, I basically have scrap....
For a failure rate of 1-2%..personally I'd take that risk. Life is short...if it makes you happy, keep it. Is there a chance you can get an extended warranty for a some piece of mind?

MannyFrescoSC

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Same boat. Sold my 19’ accord in anticipation for Bronco. Bronco dealer fiasco happened and now I’m first in line for Lightning. Gave me an extra year to save and now I’m up to a Lariat.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
- leather
- cooled seats
- nicer steering wheel
-tailgate with light bar
-wireless phone charging
-ambient lighting
-moon roof option
- blue cruise
Are those features worth giving up your GT? I think the answer to that question solves your issue.
Sponsored