• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I had an ARE MX (slightly above cab height) camper shell installed, and am very happy with it.

So far, there has been no noticeable effect on range.
**UPDATE** 2/15/23
Still no noticeable decreases on range with the shell. *IF* there is one, it's <=0.1 mi/kwh.

Ford F-150 Lightning A.R.E. MX truck cap camper shell installed... no noticeable effect on range so far 20230124_134711

Ford F-150 Lightning A.R.E. MX truck cap camper shell installed... no noticeable effect on range so far 20230124_134655
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Is the bed camera useful at all?

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Is the bed camera useful at all?
unfortunately, the bed camera was covered. To my knowledge, the only cap that has the window for the bed camera is SmartCap (cab height, aluminum).

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Pro SR
Please check back with more experience on impact to your range. I like that "sky light" and the increased headroom. The 180 lbs isn't too bad.

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Please check back with more experience on impact to your range. I like that "sky light" and the increased headroom. The 180 lbs isn't too bad.
will do! Yeah, I'm liking the extra headroom too. I had many times with my old truck with a cab height cap where the cap was an inch or two too short. It's actually not a skylight although it does look that way from the outside (that would have been nice). It's a mounting plate for an optional light bar.

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
If you wanted to carry a tall ladder or long sticks of wood or pipe, what would be the options with the MX?

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you wanted to carry a tall ladder or long sticks of wood or pipe, what would be the options with the MX?
I'd say there are a couple of options. There's an optional roof rack that goes on top of the cap (which I didn't get), but what I would probably do is leave the tailgate up, put the long bits in with them sticking out of the back, strap them down and close the cap door down on top of them and bungee the door so it doesn't flop.

I'll likely be doing exactly that with the kayaks this summer.

In the event that the long pipe is small enough to slide through the sliding rear window on the cab, another option is to slide the front cap window open and put it through the cab window and into the cab keeping the back of the pipe inside the bed.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Nice topper. Had one on my Ram 1500 before going Ford. Didn’t affect my mileage on that, either.

Sponsored

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
How much does the topper weigh?

Dparke55

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Ext, Lightning Std, Mach Ex 4 Rt 1
Occupation
Manager
I am looking for the access to the high break light wire. I have seen purple wires being located for ice trucks in the kick panel or near the master cylinder. I do not want to gain access thru the trim around rear window as instructions from FMC.

utekineir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
raptor, others
**UPDATE** 2/15/23
Still no noticeable decreases on range with the shell. *IF* there is one, it's <=0.1 mi/kwh.

I also updated the original post.
Great info thank you.

Do you happen to know max height at opening?