• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Active shutters - are they open all the time or closed ?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
ADMIN/MODS: Could not find the correct sub-forum to ask this question so feel free to move it.

Noticed my active shutters in the front grill are open all the time - ignition turned on, off, parked, locked....

Is this normal ?

I thought they was supposed to stay closed and then open when it needed cooling or driving off road...

Anyone else confirm ?

Ford F-150 Lightning Active shutters - are they open all the time or closed ? IMG_9406.JPG
Sponsored

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
I had the exact same question todayā€¦ wondered if it was an highway or speed aero thing.

Last edited:

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
Iā€¦ didnā€™t know I had these! Iā€™ll check the truck tomorrow

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
generally, on EVs, you'll have NO open air intrusion at the front end, like you do on ICE vehicles, in order to force air DOWN under the vehicle... now, at low speeds, or when parked, the cooling Shutters stay OPEN in order to allow air movement for the battery cooling thru the radiator, but at higher speeds, like the mentioned 45mph, the Shutters CLOSE in order to maintain the Aero affect. When parked and Charging, you'll also hear the fans kick on when the battery gets hot, and the shutters are also open to allow that fan air thru the radiator.

Another thing: at 45mph, your Automatic Aero DAM also deploys down below your front valance in order to provide even MORE Aero affects, pushing the air even further down below the vehicle. You'll never be able to see this happen as lower speeds, so you'll have to have a chase car video this while you are up to speed. It's been highlighted on several videos, but no one really talks about it too much. You can see the Aero DAM right behind your front lower valance, with the supporting deployment slides mechanism built in on both ends. This is equipment on every trim level of the Lightning.

Sponsored
OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
generally, on EVs, you'll have NO open air intrusion at the front end, like you do on ICE vehicles, in order to force air DOWN under the vehicle... now, at low speeds, or when parked, the cooling Shutters stay OPEN in order to allow air movement for the battery cooling thru the radiator, but at higher speeds, like the mentioned 45mph, the Shutters CLOSE in order to maintain the Aero affect. When parked and Charging, you'll also hear the fans kick on when the battery gets hot, and the shutters are also open to allow that fan air thru the radiator.

Another thing: at 45mph, your Automatic Aero DAM also deploys down below your front valance in order to provide even MORE Aero affects, pushing the air even further down below the vehicle. You'll never be able to see this happen as lower speeds, so you'll have to have a chase car video this while you are up to speed. It's been highlighted on several videos, but no one really talks about it too much. You can see the Aero DAM right behind your front lower valance, with the supporting deployment slides mechanism built in on both ends. This is equipment on every trim level of the Lightning.
Thanks for that!
Amazing technology for both cooling and aerodynamics.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
The AAD on an ICE F-150.

Wow, I had no idea there were 2 ACTIVE aerodynamic devices on the Lightning!

Not just the shutters but an Aero Dam.

Loved that video!

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I didn't post that video because I wasn't sure we had that technology on our Lightnings. Thank you for confirming...that's freaking cool!

Honestly, I feel that's a better solution than Rivian's air suspension (as it pertains to increasing aerodynamics).

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
Honestly, I feel that's a better solution than Rivian's air suspension (as it pertains to increasing aerodynamics).
Better until you try to avoid some roadkill by lining it up between the tires! I'm worried how that air dam will hold up. Chunks of snow or ice could also be a problem.

Sponsored

AT193

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning - Lariat SR - Antimatter Blue
Better until you try to avoid some roadkill by lining it up between the tires! I'm worried how that air dam will hold up. Chunks of snow or ice could also be a problem.
Anyone know what the clearance is on this? I'm having the same thought except for me it's piles of chains that always seem to fall off of trucks in the middle of the lane on the New Jersey Turnpike o_O

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
The Rivian would not be better in the same conditions because the entire truck will be lower--you'd end up wiping out your entire grill on a Rivian in the same situation you'd wipe out your air dam.

That said, while I can't speak to "piles of chains" I would hope people aren't driving 45+ mph in 6+ inches of snow :) (probably one of the reasons Ford doesn't deploy them until speeds faster than 45mph). To your point, though, I found an old discussion (2013) about removing the (non) active airdam. Funny enough, someone posted, "It is 2014. Why can't trucks have electronically controllable, or dynamic airdams that fold up for off-road use?!?" I wonder if the air dam can be disabled (or quickly retracted) during off-road, inclement weather, or dodging debris on roadways.

I don't know how long they've put these on their trucks. The earliest patent filing I could find was 1/2013. The dynamic shutter info I posted was from a 2017 forum discussion. The video of the dynamic air dam is discussing the 2021s. There also exists aftermarket versions of the air dam so if anyone is concerned about longevity there should be a lot of info out there already.

EDIT: oh, and thanks guys for the mental image of Rivians hoppin' and poppin' down the street like a 90s low rider :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
ADMIN/MODS: Could not find the correct sub-forum to ask this question so feel free to move it.

Noticed my active shutters in the front grill are open all the time - ignition turned on, off, parked, locked....

Is this normal ?

I thought they was supposed to stay closed and then open when it needed cooling or driving off road...

Anyone else confirm ?

IMG_9406.JPG
I was a bit worried about this too, because my Mach-E always closed the shutters after I parked.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
I was a bit worried about this too, because my Mach-E always closed the shutters after I parked.
Yes I noticed the MME has shutters closed when parked.

Does it stay closed at high speeds ??

Does the MME have an active aero dam that pulls down like the Lighting ?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I remember Sandy Munroā€˜s reaction to the complexity of the MMEā€˜s thermal system, so Iā€™m guessing they had the chance to re-think the whole system with the Lightning.

The MME definitely had the shutters closed when it was off and Iā€™d see and hear them close right after I locked the doors, so I can only assume they remained open regardless of the speed.

My MME was a Select AWD, so I donā€™t think they had an active air dam for that model, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the GT had one.
Sponsored