• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adapters for mobile charging

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range Battery
I’m a new Lightning and new EV owner and wanted to know if anyone has a list of adapters I may want to have handy in my truck for charging.

I just don’t want to be on the road and need to charge just to realize that I need some sort of adapter on that charging station for it to work on my truck. Are there common adapters that is good to have handy?
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Are you asking about plugs for different wall outlets so you can use your Ford mobile charger?

LightingFast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT, BMW M3
I’m a new Lightning and new EV owner and wanted to know if anyone has a list of adapters I may want to have handy in my truck for charging.

I just don’t want to be on the road and need to charge just to realize that I need some sort of adapter on that charging station for it to work on my truck. Are there common adapters that is good to have handy?
I have the same question. What plug adapters would be good to have handy? For instance I assume a tesla to J1772 would be good for utilizing Level2 tesla chargers...what else?

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Here is a post I made last August. I haven’t used most of the adapters but it’s nice to have them when going to a place where you don’t know the available source of power.

I ordered the following off of Amazon: I think I spent about $240.
14-50 Extension cord (figure if I'm borrowing some 240v power at someone's home I may need an extension cord to go from a laundry room through a garage.) This extension cord has 6/3 wiring in it so it is truly rated for 50 amps. There are some others with 8/3 wiring which would work for 30 amps but not 50 amps.
RVMATE 50 Amp 25 Feet RV Power Extension Cord, Easy Plug in Handle, 14-50P to 14-50R
If someone has a 50 amp welder outlet then this adaptor is needed. It is the one adaptor that the TFL crew was missing on their Alaska trip and caused them recharging issues in Coldfoot.
ONETAK NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R 240V Compact 50 Amp 3 Prong Male Plug to 50 Amp 4 Prong Female
For an old 30 amp dryer outlet this adaptor. (probably the least likely to get used).
RVMATE NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R EV Charger Adapter Cord, 30 AMP to 50 AMP EV/RV Conversion Adapter
For a newer 30 amp dryer outlet this adaptor.
RVMATE NEMA 14-30P to 14-50R EV Charger Adapter Cord, 30 AMP Dryer to 50 AMP EV/RV Conversion Adapter
For the F-150 240 volt outlet in the bed of the truck. Or from a 240 volt welder/generator.
13 Inch 30 Amp to 50 Amp RV Generator Adapter Cord with Handle, 4-Prong L14-30P Twist Lock Male Plug to 14-50R Amp Female

I also got this adaptor which probably isn't necessary for most but I also have a NEMA 6-50 extension cord for my welder so I figured if I needed extra extension then I could use it with both adaptors.
ONETAK NEMA 14-50P to 6-50R Compact 240V 50 Amp 4 Prong Male Plug to 3 Prong Female Receptacle Generator Welder Dryer EV Charger

Finally not pictured,
- I have a 100 foot 10/3 extension cord which is good for a full 20 amps of 120v. I've owned this extension cord for quite a while so not part of the first aid procurement.
- I added a Li-Ion Jump Start battery booster to the truck as well.

I did not include an NEMA 10-50 adaptor. That would be an old oven plug in. I figure the odds of plugging into an oven outlet are pretty small.

The TFL truck folks kept trying to use a NEMA TT-30 (120 Volt RV outlet) to NEMA 14-50 adaptor. It of course never charged anything because it would only power half of the NEMA 1450 outlet.

I thought about a NEMA TT-30 to 5-15 120 V adaptor but you don't gain anything over a regular 5-15 plug and those are ubiquitous.

For reference:
1661902782626.png

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER

I would suggest don't worry about it too much.

If you're going to go somewhere far away and there are no fast chargers on your route, call ahead and figure out what you need and prepare for that one trip. You'll want to ask whoever's outlet you're going to plug into for permission anyway, so you may as well ask what kind they have and buy the right adapter when you need to.

After you've been on a few road trips you'll figure out that you don't need to worry about this, and the odds of you needing to level 2 charge at some random outlet are essentially zero.

Also, please don't be that guy who randomly plugs into outlets because somebody left one exposed somewhere.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range Battery
Are you asking about plugs for different wall outlets so you can use your Ford mobile charger?
Well the mobile charging kit comes with 2 different adapters so if there’s more than those 2 needed sure if there recommendations. B
Here is a post I made last August. I haven’t used most of the adapters but it’s nice to have them when going to a place where you don’t know the available source of power.
thanks. The extension cord is a good idea to have handy.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I would suggest don't worry about it too much.

If you're going to go somewhere far away and there are no fast chargers on your route, call ahead and figure out what you need and prepare for that one trip. You'll want to ask whoever's outlet you're going to plug into for permission anyway, so you may as well ask what kind they have and buy the right adapter when you need to.

After you've been on a few road trips you'll figure out that you don't need to worry about this, and the odds of you needing to level 2 charge at some random outlet are essentially zero.

Also, please don't be that guy who randomly plugs into outlets because somebody left one exposed somewhere.
I am in camp worry and it has served me well driving EVs since 2017.

-Be prepared
-ABC (always be charging)
-Carry a mobile charger (with NEMA 5-15 + 14-50 adapters), a heavy duty 15 ft extension cord, a Tesla to J1772 adaptor (Teslatap), and a 12V portable lithium jump starter.
-Keep charge levels at 80%+ if it’s your only vehicle.
-Know where level 2 & 3 chargers are at home and on the way to destinations.
-Use ABRP (select your vehicle) to preplan trips to determine charging stops.
-Use PlugShare to determine status of DCFC on your route(s)
-Drive under 70mph on the highway and use minimal heat (a/c is ok)
-1 pedal driving to maximize regeneration
-Maintain ideal tire pressures (psi)
-Drive with windows up
-Start with a warm battery especially in cold conditions.
-Plan on reduced efficiency/range with increasing elevation, rain, wind, cold, and snow.

Last edited:

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Rather than start a new thread, maybe I can sneak in a Mobile Charger adapter question here on the side. :)

Yesterday while visiting Austin, I plugged the 120-volt adapter into my Mobile Charger base. I can't easily pull it out. There is not much to grip at the base of the plug that goes into the adapter, and I didn't want to pull hard on the adapter cord or the wall outlet plug. On the 240-volt adapter, I noticed that there seems to be a "click-in" side protrusion on the male plug that goes into the Charger base. Maybe the same snap-in-place catch keeps me from removing the 120-volt adapter from the base?

I read the online Ford literature for the Mobile Charger but didn't see any advice on how to remove adapters from the base unit. TIA for any advice or tricks to doing so!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Pull on the cord

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER

-Be prepared
-Carry a mobile charger (with NEMA 5-15 + 14-50 adapters), a heavy duty 15 ft extension cord, a Tesla to J1772 adaptor (Teslatap), and a 12V portable lithium jump starter.
-Drive with windows up
-Plan on reduced efficiency/range with increasing elevation, rain, wind, cold, and snow.
I can't tell you not to be worried. If you're going to worry, you're going to worry. But no need to scare everybody else.

How many times since 2017 have you had to charge at an unexpected outlet, and it was the first time you've ever used that type of outlet, or you would have been stuck? I'd bet never. Especially in your case since you scout ahead for charging opportunities, and live in a region with a zillion fast chargers.

The "build your adapter kit as you go" method is completely sufficient. You _can_ worry. It won't hurt (from a charging perspective... not sure about your blood pressure). But it's not necessary.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

-Be prepared
-Drive with windows up
All drive modes are the same efficiency, 1 pedal doesn't change anything.

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
at one of my common destinations they have a 10-30 dryer outlet. Im a bit concerned about burning up the outlet if I just use an adapter as I’ve read the mobile charger will pull over 30 amps. Have you considered that or is that not a concern?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
at one of my common destinations they have a 10-30 dryer outlet. Im a bit concerned about burning up the outlet if I just use an adapter as I’ve read the mobile charger will pull over 30 amps. Have you considered that or is that not a concern?
To be fair, the topic is on adaptors and not portable EVSE. That said, your point is 100% valid, we always need to know what power source we are plugging into and use the correct equipment for the job. (e.g. an adjustable rate portable EVSE so we don't blow a 30A dryer outlet).

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I can't tell you not to be worried. If you're going to worry, you're going to worry. But no need to scare everybody else.

How many times since 2017 have you had to charge at an unexpected outlet, and it was the first time you've ever used that type of outlet, or you would have been stuck? I'd bet never. Especially in your case since you scout ahead for charging opportunities, and live in a region with a zillion fast chargers.

The "build your adapter kit as you go" method is completely sufficient. You _can_ worry. It won't hurt (from a charging perspective... not sure about your blood pressure). But it's not necessary.
You mentioned worry 2 times in your reply to OP. I was making a pun regarding your choice of words. Whether you worry or not the outcome is the same right?
Having the ability to charge at Tesla destination chargers comes in handy, why would you limit them?
I like unexpected outlets especially the free ones 😉.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
All drive modes are the same efficiency, 1 pedal doesn't change anything.
You have commented on this subject in another thread. I agree with the member who posted the following comment: “I seem to get better regen with one-pedal driving than I do standard brake application. I get 100% regen with 1-pedal almost all the time and anywhere from 85% to 95% with braking.” I am familiar with Fords brake coach having owned both a CMax and Fusion Hybrid. I currently own a TM3 LFP which has the option for blended braking. I only turn it on during the winter when regen is poor due to the battery being cold.
Sponsored