• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Aftermarket wheels & tires - feedback?

Hrudka

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Jeep Grand C
Occupation
Machinist
Anyone switched wheels and/or tires on their Lightening? If so was the range reduced somewhat? Debating whether to buy winter tires & rims or try the stock ones.
Sponsored

ScubaSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, 2021 GT500, 2017 Focus RS
Occupation
Sales
I leveled my truck and put on some Venomrex 20" wheels and some Toyo Open Country ATII 34s...aftermarket wheel and tire combo weighs 0.6lb less that stock 22" setup. Have noticed MAYBE a 3% difference in range

OP
OP
Hrudka

Hrudka

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Jeep Grand C
Occupation
Machinist
It looks like you raised the front end, not lower the back?

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’m leveled on Eibach fronts, 20” Rapid Wheels with a +18 offset and Cooper AT3’s in stock size. I’ve lost roughly 6% range or roughly 30 miles.

I am planning on going back to stock, but before I do that I am will see what lowering the rear to stock levels does to range with wheels and tires.

If you don’t commute or take long trips then I think leveling and aftermarket wheels/tires should be fine. But losing range is pretty much working against me. Maybe we need better designed “Aero” truck wheels.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I’m guessing theirs is much more modest range loss with the lift. What exactly did you do to lift the rear? A level would raise the front if I’m not mistaken.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’m guessing theirs is much more modest range loss with the lift. What exactly did you do to lift the rear? A level would raise the front if I’m not mistaken.
The rear isn’t lifted, it’s stock height. With stock wheels and tires it was a minimal loss of range with just the level up front.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The rear isn’t lifted, it’s stock height. With stock wheels and tires it was a minimal loss of range with just the level up front.
That's what I was hoping. I really just want the front lifted a bit to get rid of the extreme rake.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
That's what I was hoping. I really just want the front lifted a bit to get rid of the extreme rake.
Yeah I’m still trying to figure out what has more impact on range. It seems that maybe my tires or wheel offset might impact range more than the lift. My aftermarket wheel and tire package is 3 lbs lighter per wheel but my range has still taken a huge hit. It’s either the tire because of the tread type or the offset of the wheel. Could be the wheel design as stock is flat and almost completely covered.

We need aftermarket Aero wheels for trucks lol

Waiting to go back to stock front heigh or lower to see if anything changes.

Last edited:

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yeah I’m still trying to figure out what has more impact on range. It seems that maybe my tires or wheel offset might impact range more than the lift. My aftermarket wheel and tire package is 3 lbs lighter per wheel but my range has still taken a huge hit. It’s either the tire because of the tread type or the offset of the wheel. Could be the wheel design as stock is flat and almost completely covered.

We need aftermarket Aero wheels for trucks lol

Waiting to go back to stock front heigh or lower to see if anything changes.
From the research I’ve done offset and tire width are big determinants of range. The aero design is somewhat meaning full but the bigger issue is how much tire surface is exposed to generate resistance. The lift will expose a bit of tire height but not a lot so range has a modest impact. Offset may make the tire protrude outside of the fender well and that generate additional resistance and the same for overall width. Rolling mass has a bit lower of an overall impact. There’s a good video using a Tesla that I’ll try and dig up.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
From the research I’ve done offset and tire width are big determinants of range. The aero design is somewhat meaning full but the bigger issue is how much tire surface is exposed to generate resistance. The lift will expose a bit of tire height but not a lot so range has a modest impact. Offset may make the tire protrude outside of the fender well and that generate additional resistance and the same for overall width. Rolling mass has a bit lower of an overall impact. There’s a good video using a Tesla that I’ll try and dig up.
Awesome! I would love to see that video. It seems that MotorTrend also experienced the same results.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-wheels-and-tires/amp/

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I watched it over again and it validates my decision to get 18” rims vs 20”. Perhaps it will offset the loss from the small 2” lift which should be very negligible in the first place.
Sponsored