• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ashtank

First Name
Ashton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 F-150 SCREW 3.5 Eco
I am setting my expectations conservatively to avoid disappointment. If I can get 100 miles in the winter on the ER battery, without pre-conditioning, I will be happy (Wife's Mach-e will be plugged in most nights - she has a longer commute).

As for a heater - it is effectively certain that some kind of battery heater will be there. I think the only question is if it is resistive, a heat pump, or some combination.
You’re really setting an expectation for your range to be 1/3 of advertised range in the winter? The Lightning will be my first EV. I fully expect a range hit in the winter as well, but was sort of still anticipating 200+ in winter, not 100. Hmmm
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You’re really setting an expectation for your range to be 1/3 of advertised range in the winter? The Lightning will be my first EV. I fully expect a range hit in the winter as well, but was sort of still anticipating 200+ in winter, not 100. Hmmm
40 percent to 50 percent reduction is what people have been seeing on the Mach-e. 100 is a 66 percent reduction, but the minimum I need for it to be a viable vehicle. I would also rather be surprised than disappointed.

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
40 percent to 50 percent reduction is what people have been seeing on the Mach-e. 100 is a 66 percent reduction, but the minimum I need for it to be a viable vehicle. I would also rather be surprised than disappointed.
For real? A 50% reduction in battery on a cold day? How is that even usable?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
For real? A 50% reduction in battery on a cold day? How is that even usable?
Yeah, unfortunately (on really cold days). The battery doesn't work as well and the heater pulls a lot of juice. Note: This depends on what you consider cold. 0F has a much bigger impact than 30F. Preconditioning can help to offset some of this (heating the battery and car while still plugged in).

Here is a thread on a Mach-e forums discussing it.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/new-job-new-car.6225/#post-174839

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Yeah, unfortunately (on really cold days). The battery doesn't work as well and the heater pulls a lot of juice. Note: This depends on what you consider cold. 0F has a much bigger impact than 30F. Preconditioning can help to offset some of this (heating the battery and car while still plugged in).

Here is a thread on a Mach-e forums discussing it.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/new-job-new-car.6225/#post-174839
I was gonna say, Tom yours(and mine) definition of COLD is pretty skewed...that upstate NY thing....

Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
There are two primary factors with EV range in the cold. One is the capacity Will be limited due to cell chemistry at lower temps. This should be pretty constant across all EVs. Simple solution is to garage your vehicle and pre condition it.
The second factor is running the heater. Simple solution is to use seat warmers over the power hungry resistive heater. This reduction should be much lower (percentage wise) that your typical EV. That is because the Lightning will get around 2 m/kWh vs a car that gets 4-5 kWk. My Pacifica hybrid will use up to 8 kW to run the heater. That will burn through my 16 kWh battery MUCH faster than it will burn through a 160 kWH Lightning. Only real world testing will show. But if I get less than 75% of 230 or 300 miles in the winter with my garages truck I will be shocked. Not disappointed but shocked.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I was gonna say, Tom yours(and mine) definition of COLD is pretty skewed...that upstate NY thing....
What can I say, I like cold. Anything over about 60 is just too hot. 30 is light jacket weather. Cold starts around 10 and really cold is when you are at -20 or so!

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
What can I say, I like cold. Anything over about 60 is just too hot. 30 is light jacket weather. Cold starts around 10 and really cold is when you are at -20 or so!
I'm the same way....drives my wife nuts but I start sweating at 65deg!!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I am setting my expectations conservatively to avoid disappointment. If I can get 100 miles in the winter on the ER battery, without pre-conditioning, I will be happy (Wife's Mach-e will be plugged in most nights - she has a longer commute).

As for a heater - it is effectively certain that some kind of battery heater will be there. I think the only question is if it is resistive, a heat pump, or some combination.

I'm not 100% certain on this. But there have been reports that the battery heater is resistive.

Villageidit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500, 2008 Honda Element,
Occupation
Retired
Spent years in the 1000 Islands, cold is relative.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Cold weather has many detrimental effects on the range as I have been driving a 17kWh PHEV for 3 years now.

Cold weather causes battery chemistry to decrease capacity and use of climate controls (heating) uses up a huge amount of energy.

Also with colder months, seat heaters and headlights cause more drain during the darker months.

Many drivers in northern US and Canada experience about a 50% drop in capacity on a daily drive during the fall/winter months.

Pre-conditioning the cabin while plugged into a L2 charger will help offset the cabin heating as well as a heated garage while charging.

Canadians get a battery warmer standard, while US customers get none - very strange that they could not make it an option for Honda.

I hope Ford will put in battery warmers standard for the Lightning....

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
I have a deposit on the Cybertruck and teh Lightning. Only had my F150 2 months but would love to have an electric truck.

Question is, how much payload/tow capacity does the Lightning have REAL WORLD. My truck as 1729lbs payload and can comfortable tow my 30' Jayco with 7000lbs GVWR. Wonder if the lightning can even tow that much.

Also, want to know how towing impacts range. On the tesla, it drops the mileage to over 50%. The good thing about tesla is the tons of superchargers around, but with the Ford, they dont have that type of netwrok. CHeck out MArque Browns review comparing the tesla to the mach e and the issues they had with Charge AMerica!

EV is the future, and i loved my 2018 Leaf SL... i can totally move over to EV, but the range sucks so bad in the winter.

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
If you watch the Sandy Munro videos he expects a 30% drop in range when towing. More if towing uphill. No comment on cold weather but looks like that Mach E thread has the data you need.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'd be pretty shocked if Ford was sandbagging on range by 100 miles. That just doesn't make sense. If they said 300 was their target and they hit 325 EPA people would be ecstatic. If they hit 400 then people would probably be wondering why they didn't advertise a 350 or 375 target. Range is money. If they are getting 400 on prototypes they'd probably reduce the battery capacity of the production vehicle to be more in line with what they advertised as the target. I'll eat my hat if the ER battery will get a legitimate 400 mile range.

That being said, careful driving adds significantly to range. A 300 mile range will probably get you close to 400 if you drive the speed limit, particularly on the highway, and/or do more 'around town' driving than highway. My Bolt has 238 EPA range but will get more like 350 for driving under 50 mph. I drive 90% highway miles at ~70mph and it meets the EPA range. It will get ~300 if I dial the highway speed back to 60mph. So, it depends on how important that range is to you. Driving technique makes much more of a difference in EVs as compared to ICE.
Sponsored