• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

All Season vs. All Terrain Tires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Any benefits for one over the other? I mostly just do highway driving with an occasional dirt road here and there. Any benefits for range?
Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
You get somewhat less range (more rolling resistance), decidedly fewer lifetime miles driven (~40,000 vs. ~60,000), and more road noise, is my understanding. That's why I opted for all-season even though the default "peopling" of my order tried to put all-terrain tires on my truck. I plan to drive almost entirely on paved roads and don't expect much snow where I live in Texas.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If you don't offroad, snow performance is the discriminator (as well as appearance). I also went with the all seasons, but I am a bit disappointed with their winter performance. I am hoping some better options hit the market soon since all of the A/T tires that fit our truck seem to have a 15% to 20% range penalty associated with them.

I really want something like a cross climate 2 in out stock size and load rating.

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
My XLT shows the A/T tires, but I don't foresee needing off-road or even dirt road use. I live in the Memphis area, so the only benefit is navigating the pot-holed streets. :rolleyes: I'd prefer the All-Season tires as rain is the most frequent traction issue here. Since I charge in my garage (offset some kWh purchases with Solar) and have a 30 mile/day round trip commute, the range loss will not be much of an issue for me. GLTA

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
The OEM "All Terrain" tires are plenty quiet and I get 2.4 miles/kwh over the past 18K miles, so no range hit. They aren't agressive looking at all, but they do fine on dirt/gravel roads and are good in a few inches of unplowed snow. Not as good in the snow as the K02's on my old GMC pickup, but way, way quieter.

Sponsored

fubar79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT ER
I also went with the all seasons, but I am a bit disappointed with their winter performance.
My thoughts exactly. I too went with the all seasons, and am disappointed in the their winter performance. With previous ICE trucks, I could usually get through the first winter with new all seasons, but these ones don't bite even with as little as an inch of slush. They just push.

The All seasons that came on the 2022's are ugly as well, but I'll ride them out.

@wrestledude363 one benefit to going with the All seasons from factory, is your trucks payload will be slightly higher, on the sticker anyways...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My thoughts exactly. I too went with the all seasons, and am disappointed in the their winter performance. With previous ICE trucks, I could usually get through the first winter with new all seasons, but these ones don't bite even with as little as an inch of slush. They just push.

The All seasons that came on the 2022's are ugly as well, but I'll ride them out.

@wrestledude363 one benefit to going with the All seasons from factory, is your trucks payload will be slightly higher, on the sticker anyways...
Thankfully this has been a mild winter so far in my neck of the woods, but I am sliding why more than I like. Going to ride this one out, but I need to do something before next winter. I am just really hoping for an option that has a 10% or less range impact. I have a fairly frequent trip where the first leg is ~185 miles. In the winter I can still do that with my ER Lariat, but a 10% range hit would make it uncomfortably close.

I was really looking forward to good winter performance because my wife's Mach-e GT is an absolute champ on the factory tires.

fubar79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT ER
I bought some used Ford OEM rims, with well used Blizzaks. They are better on ice, but because the tread depth is low, they still push. I bought this setup for the rims, but hoped to get this winter out of the tires. I've had to steer with the throttle a bit to break the push.

I'm a few hours North of you, but like you said, it's been a mild winter so far. Only having to commute 5-8 times a month has also helped. I too am on the lookout for new snow tires for next winter.

What tires are on the Mach e GT from factory?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I bought some used Ford OEM rims, with well used Blizzaks. They are better on ice, but because the tread depth is low, they still push. I bought this setup for the rims, but hoped to get this winter out of the tires. I've had to steer with the throttle a bit to break the push.

I'm a few hours North of you, but like you said, it's been a mild winter so far. Only having to commute 5-8 times a month has also helped. I too am on the lookout for new snow tires for next winter.

What tires are on the Mach e GT from factory?
GT has Continental CrossContact all seasons. We got the car at the end of Dec. 2021 and I was ready to swap the tires right away, but they far exceeded my expectations. I do suspect that the Mach-e's traction and stability control systems are doing a lot of heavy lifting too.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
All-season means mediocre performance in all seasons. All-terrain have aggressive tread with firm rubber. Winter tires have aggressive tread with rubber that stays soft at low temperatures for grip.
I run the a/s most of the year and winter tires December through March. When a/s wear out, summer tires will replace them.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
...Er, I removed this for now. I had my tires mixed up and I'm an idiot...

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
When I ordered, I went with the AS tires knowing that I would probably take them off and sell them almost immediately -- The Hankook Dynapro HT2 AS tires Ford is using are really good touring all season tires for paved roads and and some rain... That's it. They're really just one step more aggressive than an all out summer tire. They ride great, low resistance, low noise. But worthless as soon as a snowflake touches the road. I've had them on a couple other Ford's over the past few years and they're worthless here 8 months out of the year in Colorado, especially if we do any mountain driving.

So with the parts shortages, tires have been an effected item and Ford has been shipping trucks with the General Grabber AT tires. And that's what mine came with, even though it says 8500# GVWR and AS tires on the window sticker. I wouldn't consider these General Grabber tires to be true AT tires, more like a true all season... So far, I'm happy with them. They have handled alright in snow up to 6 inches but I can't comment on their ice performance yet. I've taken two road trips in the Lighting, about 800 miles each time and ended up with clear roads so I'm happy for that. I do think they effect range a bit, but not enough that Ford made a range distinction between the two tire options. They ride nice and supposedly lower the GVWR, but no complaints from me so far.

I'll run with these tires until I see a reason to change them. When that time comes I'll see what else is out there. The Pirelli Scorpion AT have been performing great on my friend's R1T and he's had his truck since last spring. Pirelli is supposedly making a Scorpion AT sized for the Lightning with the same load speed rating they're using for the Rivian, but I haven't seen them pop up anywhere for sale yet. I would also look at the Falken WildPeak AT3W tires as they have performed great on a few vehicles for us. They also ride and handle great for every day as well as on the trail or in bad weather. I don't know if they have any rated for the Lightning though...

I know some others on here have put on more dedicated off-road tires like the KO2's and they look great on the truck and perform great off road. But the the range compromise isn't worth it to me to put on a full AT tire like that.

Anyway, like I said above, the General Grabbers have been handling everything I've asked of them so far. They won't do as well on ice or a few inches of slush as a winter tire would. I'll probably take a look at some snow socks or cables rather than an another set of tires to swap. I do have some Fuel off-road wheels with Duratracs on them that I was running on my Expedition I sold. The wheels are rated well enough I could run them on the Lighting if I put new winter rubber on them. I just need to see if they will clear the brake calipers -- they're 18's. I haven't been motivated to do so though since they're the dark anodized translucent finish, which looks bronze a lot of time and I'm not sure that's what I want with my Azure Gray Lightning...
Are you sure you have the stock tires right? The Hancook's we're the factory AT tires and the General were the AS tires, unless Ford swapped them at some point. I have the General Grabber AS tires and they are marginal at best in snow.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Are you sure you have the stock tires right? The Hancook's we're the factory AT tires and the General were the AS tires, unless Ford swapped them at some point. I have the General Grabber AS tires and they are marginal at best in snow.
...Yeah, I got 'em wrong. Oops.

I guess I was only half paying attention to the tires. I didn't realize the Hankooks were the AT option -- so my comparison to the Hankook AS tires I've had from Ford in the past still stand, those were terrible AS tires. I have no experience with the AT variant.

So I had assumed my General Grabbers were the AT option. If these are the AS option, then I'm actually pleased with them as they've handled well in my first 2K miles. I have yet to have them in deep slush or on significant ice and I don't expect them to perform well there at all. But I've driven through 6+ inches of snow with them a few times now and no issues.

jason95r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER, '95 Cobra R #172, '07 Porsche GT3

This was actually a negative to my order in CT. I got the General all seasons which changed my GVWR to 8550lbs. 50lbs over CT DMV's threshold to register as a passenger vehicle. So it had to be registered as a combination vehicle and the fees tripled for registration. Really wish I knew that at the time of ordering.......

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I would have been upset if I would have paid the extra $200 for the AT tires. The Hankooks are not aggressive at all. I have little, if any mileage change from my testing with the mannequin truck. It had the Michelin all season tires on it.
Sponsored