• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Alternative 80amp Chargers?

spicedparrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
So…the Ford Charge Station Pro is horrible…but you know all this already. I couldn’t get mine to even broadcast a wifi signal. Ford still doesn’t know what to do…

So…I’m tired of relying on them. Does anyone have recommendations for another fast, 80 amp charge station that is known to be more reliable? I‘m not happy at spending more money on a station and installation, but at this rate, the Ford Charge Station Pro won’t ever really work.

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
So…the Ford Charge Station Pro is horrible…but you know all this already. I couldn’t get mine to even broadcast a wifi signal. Ford still doesn’t know what to do…

So…I’m tired of relying on them. Does anyone have recommendations for another fast, 80 amp charge station that is known to be more reliable? I‘m not happy at spending more money on a station and installation, but at this rate, the Ford Charge Station Pro won’t ever really work.
If you're going with non-Ford EVSE, ask yourself if you really need 80A. Those do exist, but are pretty pricey. For example Clipper Creek
https://store.clippercreek.com/cs-100-80-amp-ev-charging-station
At $2.2K, that's not very economical.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Since my truck will be parked outside over the winter, i want to use the FCSP as a trickle charger to keep battery warm without charging to 90% every night. I normally charge at 78 amps from 80 amp setting. I used Ford Pass app charger section to set 18 amps. Worked great for the 18 hours it sat on the charger before I unplugged. It produced a little under 4kWh per hour.
Contrary to opinions expressed, I find the FCSP does all I ask of it. And it came free with my Lariat ER. I must be lucky I guess.

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Clipper Creek is the only one I know of as well.

I've had a 40a Clipper Creek for about 4 years, and it's been solid, but no frills. No Wifi.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

Thanks for the advice!
From a cost mitigation view, have you looked to see if your electric utility offers any rebates on installation of recommended EVSEs? They may have a higher amp model (though probably not 80A) model that may work for your needs…….

Sponsored

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
I’ve been fairly happy with my FCSP, but I do wonder about the long term wear and tear on it. If I have to replace it at some point I would probably look at a Wattzilla dual charger. They also have a single 80a as wel:
https://wattzilla.com/products/uno.htm

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

Thanks for the advice!
I’ll be selfish here. I’m selling a Tesla 80A charger in the for sale section. It’s dead reliable, I’ve been using 2 of them for about 7 years now. The only negative is you’ll need a Teslatap adapter.

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
I have the same broadcast issue. No solution?

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician

Thanks for the advice!
You need to contact the maker of the charger. I was at Fully Charged event in San Diego and they had a booth with both Ford chargers there. I forget there name though.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Any conclusions on this one? I figure I'll use the Ford Charge Station Pro (FCSP) and hope a software update enables vehicle to grid (V2G) support.

OP
OP

spicedparrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
No, its horrible!!! It charges - but only when I manually cranked down the amperage to 60 amps. It hasn’t broadcast an SSID to connect to the app since the day I bought it. Ford customer service is even worse, they expect you to wait by your phone and be available to troubleshoot WHEN THEY CALL YOU (which of course they do when you are in the middle of the work day). It is single handedly the worst of any customer service I’ve seen. For any new buyers, if you get a Charge Station Pro for free…great…but definitely don’t spend any money on it. I considered buying the inverter setup as an emergency backup, but seeing how poorly this most basic thing is being handled makes me really happy I didn’t shell out the money. Ford really blew it on this one.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I've had absolutely 0 issues with the Charge station pro. Only had it a week and its cold and I am throttling via the Ford Pass App but I did charge 1 night at 80amp and it worked fine. Wifi setup took me 5 minutes and has been rock solid