• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

AM radio solution?

GFreud

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F 150 Lightning
Does anyone have a work around for an AM radio? Using my phone is not a good option because of dead zones in the service on my daily commute. It made no sense to eliminate this option and Ford did not advertise it in advance.
Sponsored

drdirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I am pretty unhappy about that as well and from what I read, no reasonable workaround. Its a shame and one of my big negatives.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The removal of the AM radio was immediately apparent upon the release of the 2023 Lightning Order Guide and the 2023 B&P.

At first I thought Ford would be removing AM radios from many 2023 models. However it seems the Lightning is the only model without an AM radio. Then I thought maybe there was some shielding issue with EVā€™s and AM radios. But the 2023 MME still has an AM/FM radio so I have no idea why Ford chose to remove it from the Lightning.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Tesla and others don't have AM Radio in their EVs. Simply adding shielding doesn't work as the amount of shielding around the motors and electrical pathways would be significant . AM radio is going away. Many places have FM re-broadcast of their major AM stations and the major ones are also available on satellite and internet sources.

I'm almost 50 and the only people I know that think they need AM radio are a handful of old coots like my dad. ...Who already faced this dilemma a couple years ago when he bought a Tesla.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Lots of options listed with a search for "portable am tuner bluetooth". No idea how well their reception would be or how to deal with the interference issues. But if one of them worked, connecting to speakers with bluetooth should be fairly straightforward.

Sponsored

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
all my vehicles could do away with FM radio - let alone AM. I havenā€™t used AM/FM in forever. Xm radio/ Amazon prime music and podcasts do me just fine. I am 41 and know in the next 30 years Iā€™ll probably complain about getting rid of something but in reality -people got upset for about 10 minutes when cars got rid of tape players - then got rid of cd players.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The removal of the AM radio was immediately apparent upon the release of the 2023 Lightning Order Guide and the 2023 B&P.

At first I thought Ford would be removing AM radios from many 2023 models. However it seems the Lightning is the only model without an AM radio. Then I thought maybe there was some shielding issue with EVā€™s and AM radios. But the 2023 MME still has an AM/FM radio so I have no idea why Ford chose to remove it from the Lightning.
Actually the '23 MME does not have AM radio any longer.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...23-from-a-22-on-the-street.24669/#post-572226

keen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Does this mean that MY2023 Lightnings don't have the AM radio antenna in the front?

Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning (reservation)
I just drove from Minneapolis to Seattle and back in our Jeep Wrangler. While I could care less for AM stations under most conditions, I did find it useful for those ā€˜Tune to AM 1640 for information on Snowqualmie Pass road conditionsā€™.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I just drove from Minneapolis to Seattle and back in our Jeep Wrangler. While I could care less for AM stations under most conditions, I did find it useful for those ā€˜Tune to AM 1640 for information on Snowqualmie Pass road conditionsā€™.
Most highway safety stations are in the AM band. Itā€™s unfortunate that OEMs are deleting access to this important information.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Does this mean that MY2023 Lightnings don't have the AM radio antenna in the front?
No it doesn't. You still get the whip antenna for FM.
Sponsored