• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

AMP Research BedStep Installation

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
AMP has just begin to ship their new bed step that installs on the driver's side corner of the 2021 F-150 bumper. I've used their steps on prior trucks and waited for this version to become available for the 2021 model. They tell my I got the first one shipped, and it showed in the installation instructions, which missed a couple steps, but I was able to figure it out and get it installed. The competitor's Bestop step model has been available for a couple months, and it can be installed on either side, while the AMP BedStep installs only on the left side. The difference is that the Bestop step hinges straight back, so remains entirely UNDER the open tailgate, while the AMP BedStep hinges 45 degrees to the left, so it is outside the tailgate, a far better format for stepping up onto the tailgate itself. Glad I waited.

The installation is fairly straightforward, involves removing two large bumper mounting nuts (24MM - few wrench set have this - a 15/16" will substitute, but again, you may have to search for this). You will need a torque wrench capable of 129 ft-lbs for reinstalling those nuts. To complicate it a bit, the nuts are inset in a "box" and you access them through holes provided for that purpose - but the holes are just slightly too small for my 15/16" deepwell impact sockets to fit. I was able to put a shallow 15/16 socket on the nut inside the "box" and then put a short extension through the provided hole, onto the socket, and then install the torque wrench onto the extension. There are a couple other nuts that are a bit tough to reach and must be torqued blind because they are on top of the unit where you can't see them after installed. But, wow, when it is done, it is super-solid, will hold anyone, flips in and out easily.

Ford sells the AMP BedSteps as factory options on Superduties, so they may become available for configuration on the F-150, just as they recently added Retrax bed covers as Ford-branded options in 2021 due to popularity with Ford truck owners.

Here are a few pics. The last one shows how it protrudes to the side when deployed. Sorry about the dirty truck, we're currently at the farm with a mile-long gravel driveway.

I ordered mine direct from AMP. Interestingly, they still shown on the AMP Research website as "coming soon" but this one came yesterday and here it is. It looks like you can complete an order but it says 6-8 weeks for production. Mine might be a prototype - and I hope they improve the instructions - there were a couple critical bolts that were not pictured in the instructions - it was obvious to me where they went, but some folks might not figure it out - and the bolts for the step itself went in different holes than the ones pictured in the instructions. But all in all, a great addition to the tailgate step that comes with the truck, especially if you tow a lot and cannot use the tailgate step when hitched up.

https://www.amp-research.com/bedstep-bumper-step/2021/ford/f-150
AMP Part #75328-01A

Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation IMG_0295

Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation IMG_0297

Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation IMG_0291

Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation IMG_0292

Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation IMG_0293

Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation IMG_0294
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheRealSOB

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7 eco Space White
Nice write up. I installed mine a couple weeks ago. Ordered it back in May. Called over there to check the status and they said it was odd that it hadnā€™t shipped yet, because they had 5 in stock. So, if you have one of these on order I would advise calling them to get the ball rolling. If you are planning to buy one now I would call them to buy it over the phone (which they will not like) and advise them people are having trouble getting their online orders to ship and you wanted to check stock status before placing your order.

Regarding the install, youā€™re spot on. The hole they give you on the outside of the box to fit the 24mm socket through is just barely too small. I bought a socket specifically for this install (Husky brand) and it would not fit Without my banging on the back of my ratchet with a hammer to get it in and then banging it back out after I tightened. I did not use a torque wrench in my install. I suspect that when they R&Dā€™d this they were using some high end thin wall sockets not the HD brand. I gave them the feedback about the size of the socket pass through when I registered the product. Not sure if anyone will even see it but I thought Iā€™d try to help the next guy down the road if I could. Other than that, the install is pretty straightforward. The instructions they provide are really subpar, especially for a company based in the US shipping a product made in the US. Luckily there are about 8 components total and thereā€˜s really only one way to put the thing together. Itā€˜s a nice product. Very convenient, nice materials. I think it will last for years. I find myself being less concerned with things going to the middle or front of my bed because of how easy it is to fetch them now. I would for sure buy it again if I had the choice.

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
Next on my list! Thanks for the write up!

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6Ā½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
$260 seems about twice what I'd expect ā€¦ and 3 months lead time ā€¦ they don't manufacture for inventory?
Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation 1627355309690

MDH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Well I order a AMP Bed Step from Realtruck.com. The instructions were not good at all and the illustration suggested that that only one bolt attached the bed step arm to the bed step frame. I contacted both Real Truck and AMP and they were useless. After sending them multiple pictures of my installation they informed me that I modified the bed step, of which I did not. Very poor instruction and lack of quality customer service. For the price I would stay away from this inferior product. Not a happy camper and it looks like I will have to dispute my payment through the payment resolution process! Just want to pass my experience along hoping to save others time and frustration.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Well I order a AMP Bed Step from Realtruck.com. The instructions were not good at all and the illustration suggested that that only one bolt attached the bed step arm to the bed step frame. I contacted both Real Truck and AMP and they were useless. After sending them multiple pictures of my installation they informed me that I modified the bed step, of which I did not. Very poor instruction and lack of quality customer service. For the price I would stay away from this inferior product. Not a happy camper and it looks like I will have to dispute my payment through the payment resolution process! Just want to pass my experience along hoping to save others time and frustration.
That's bad news. Goes to show one person can have a good outcome and another can end up in the mess you've been given. "You can never step into the same river twice."
the installation instructions, which missed a couple steps, but I was able to figure it out and get it installed
I think @PungoteagueDave wrote up a good how-to, so I think we know it's a good product, just a matter of this bad service in your case.
Any chance you can post a photo of what they think is a "modification" of the product you received? Seems to me to be an implausible response from the manufacturer in terms of supporting a new product installation. Even if they could somehow prove you modified it or that they didn't send you a faulty unit or perhaps a returned unit from another customer, the product itself costs them "nothing" so they could just ask you to send it back (even if you have to pay the freight) and then they send you another unit and pay careful attention to be sure they send you a defect-free unit. Far, far better to solve your problem than have an unhappy customer post for a few thousand people to get a negative opinion.

I mention all this in part because the bed-step is on my list of things worth doing (even though I think the price is high, I can accept that to some extent as being a small production company and "Made in the USA" goes a long way with me.) I've also bought their powerstep product about 10+ years ago and it put up with a ton of hard work and off-road, and I want a way to reach into the back corner of the truck without dropping the tailgate (and the tailgate step doesn't work with a trailer hitched.)
Other than trying their support again and maybe reaching a different person, the only solution I can offer would be if there's a local dealer nearby to take the truck and the unit to them to see (a) you didn't "modify" anything and (b) they can probably on the spot give you what solution/tip/trick needed to get it installed (which I'll also probably need once you figure out what's wrong.)
Good luck.

MDH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
That's bad news. Goes to show one person can have a good outcome and another can end up in the mess you've been given. "You can never step into the same river twice."

I think @PungoteagueDave wrote up a good how-to, so I think we know it's a good product, just a matter of this bad service in your case.
Any chance you can post a photo of what they think is a "modification" of the product you received? Seems to me to be an implausible response from the manufacturer in terms of supporting a new product installation. Even if they could somehow prove you modified it or that they didn't send you a faulty unit or perhaps a returned unit from another customer, the product itself costs them "nothing" so they could just ask you to send it back (even if you have to pay the freight) and then they send you another unit and pay careful attention to be sure they send you a defect-free unit. Far, far better to solve your problem than have an unhappy customer post for a few thousand people to get a negative opinion.

I mention all this in part because the bed-step is on my list of things worth doing (even though I think the price is high, I can accept that to some extent as being a small production company and "Made in the USA" goes a long way with me.) I've also bought their powerstep product about 10+ years ago and it put up with a ton of hard work and off-road, and I want a way to reach into the back corner of the truck without dropping the tailgate (and the tailgate step doesn't work with a trailer hitched.)
Other than trying their support again and maybe reaching a different person, the only solution I can offer would be if there's a local dealer nearby to take the truck and the unit to them to see (a) you didn't "modify" anything and (b) they can probably on the spot give you what solution/tip/trick needed to get it installed (which I'll also probably need once you figure out what's wrong.)
Good luck.
While I did not take pictures, the problem I had was that the Bed Step Frame did not align with the hole in the bed step arm. I had to drill bigger holes in the frame to get the bolts in the bed step arm. Wish the vendor was more cooperative to my plight. I now have the bed step aligned perfectly and works as intended. I feel much better knowing that there are two bolts that attaching to the bed step arm.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I had the AMP step on my last truck and it performed well. My current truck has the tailgate step so I thought I wouldnā€™t need the AMP step. But of course the first load in my truck was 8ā€™ long dimensioned lumber that rendered my tailgate step useless. I could have used an AMP step.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I had the AMP step on my last truck and it performed well. My current truck has the tailgate step so I thought I wouldnā€™t need the AMP step. But of course the first load in my truck was 8ā€™ long dimensioned lumber that rendered my tailgate step useless. I could have used an AMP step.
thanks. I think I'll go ahead and get one ordered (8 week lead time.)
p.s. that's one rusty pumpkin.
Here's a video comparing the "best" rust removers

tl;dr rustoleum works well

CoolMaster

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
HVAC Contractor
AMP has just begin to ship their new bed step that installs on the driver's side corner of the 2021 F-150 bumper. I've used their steps on prior trucks and waited for this version to become available for the 2021 model. They tell my I got the first one shipped, and it showed in the installation instructions, which missed a couple steps, but I was able to figure it out and get it installed. The competitor's Bestop step model has been available for a couple months, and it can be installed on either side, while the AMP BedStep installs only on the left side. The difference is that the Bestop step hinges straight back, so remains entirely UNDER the open tailgate, while the AMP BedStep hinges 45 degrees to the left, so it is outside the tailgate, a far better format for stepping up onto the tailgate itself. Glad I waited.

The installation is fairly straightforward, involves removing two large bumper mounting nuts (24MM - few wrench set have this - a 15/16" will substitute, but again, you may have to search for this). You will need a torque wrench capable of 129 ft-lbs for reinstalling those nuts. To complicate it a bit, the nuts are inset in a "box" and you access them through holes provided for that purpose - but the holes are just slightly too small for my 15/16" deepwell impact sockets to fit. I was able to put a shallow 15/16 socket on the nut inside the "box" and then put a short extension through the provided hole, onto the socket, and then install the torque wrench onto the extension. There are a couple other nuts that are a bit tough to reach and must be torqued blind because they are on top of the unit where you can't see them after installed. But, wow, when it is done, it is super-solid, will hold anyone, flips in and out easily.

Ford sells the AMP BedSteps as factory options on Superduties, so they may become available for configuration on the F-150, just as they recently added Retrax bed covers as Ford-branded options in 2021 due to popularity with Ford truck owners.

Here are a few pics. The last one shows how it protrudes to the side when deployed. Sorry about the dirty truck, we're currently at the farm with a mile-long gravel driveway.

I ordered mine direct from AMP. Interestingly, they still shown on the AMP Research website as "coming soon" but this one came yesterday and here it is. It looks like you can complete an order but it says 6-8 weeks for production. Mine might be a prototype - and I hope they improve the instructions - there were a couple critical bolts that were not pictured in the instructions - it was obvious to me where they went, but some folks might not figure it out - and the bolts for the step itself went in different holes than the ones pictured in the instructions. But all in all, a great addition to the tailgate step that comes with the truck, especially if you tow a lot and cannot use the tailgate step when hitched up.

https://www.amp-research.com/bedstep-bumper-step/2021/ford/f-150
AMP Part #75328-01A

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

Sponsored

CoolMaster

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
HVAC Contractor
So glad I found your comments. I am having trouble as well. My instructions were vague at best. My bigest problem seems to by where to position the hinged section that I can install the 2nd 15mm bolt? Actually am I even supposed to install it! My instructions do not show it installed at all! A clear install video seems to be necessary if AMP wants to continue selling this step for 2021 owners. I have had one of these on my 2010 F150 since I got the truck. It only broke where the pad itself cracked. Pleas help if you can. Planning on removing it today to see if I can position the step on the bracket where I can use both 15mm bolts.
3e

CoolMaster

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
HVAC Contractor
So what were they claiming you did to alter? Adding the 2nd bolt? I'm having trouble as well. Sounds like I may not have much help as I plan on calling today.

MDH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I altered the mount on the frame to accept the bed step arms. I enlarged the two holes in the frame to accept the two bolts on the hinged step to secure it. Not very happy with AMP but the bed steps works and is secure. I really think that they have not done good job to ensure that it fits the 2021 F-150.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I didn't have any issues with my install...Are you all trying to install the 2 x 15mm bolts into the support bracket? only 1 goes through that support bracket, the 2nd bolt is just next to it..

I can get a photo this afternoon...

Ford F-150 Lightning AMP Research BedStep Installation 1647441011276

CoolMaster

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
HVAC Contractor
Well on my unit there is no combination of holes that allow the other 15mm bolt to go through it, even if I don't go through the bracket! Also there are so many holes to choose from. Frustrating. They suck at instructions. Planning on taking it down tonight and look at it with fresh eyes and the ideas I got from here so far. If I just had a picture of it assembled showing clearly the position and what combo of holes to use I would be golden.
Sponsored