• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Another Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER, Rapid Red
Just adding my new Lightning to the list of others who have had this same issue. I will be bringing it in for service later today so hopefully they can figure out what's wrong. I will update when I know more.

Quick background:
My truck is a dealer demo bought from my hometown dealer. I setup the purchase of the truck prior to the dealer receiving it. Since I no longer live in the area, my first drive of the truck was over Thanksgiving week while I was back home visiting family. The dealer was able to release the demo after the 6 month period was up on Dec. 1. and at that time it had 3400 miles, the last 200 of which were mine. I then had the truck shipped to California where I received it last Wednesday.

On Saturday (in heavy rain) while out running errands, I got back in the truck and got several messages; Service required, AdvanceTrac malfunction, forward collision assist unavailable. The truck was noticeably down on power but still drivable up to highway speeds. After checking this forum and seeing similar messages, I checked the 12V connections. Connections were tight but pulled anyway for a reset. After reconnect, Powertrain Malfunction persists.

My power gauge in instrument cluster does not show a decreased limit as others have shown. The orange wrench illuminates on each start. It seems I'm not in complete limp mode so hopefully it makes it to the dealer.

I've been a longtime reader on this forum and it's quite disappointing for this to be my first post. I've barely driven the truck 100 miles while under my ownership. Fortunately, my old truck is not yet sold. Guess I'll hold on to it for a little longer.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just adding my new Lightning to the list of others who have had this same issue. I will be bringing it in for service later today so hopefully they can figure out what's wrong. I will update when I know more.

Quick background:
My truck is a dealer demo bought from my hometown dealer. I setup the purchase of the truck prior to the dealer receiving it. Since I no longer live in the area, my first drive of the truck was over Thanksgiving week while I was back home visiting family. The dealer was able to release the demo after the 6 month period was up on Dec. 1. and at that time it had 3400 miles, the last 200 of which were mine. I then had the truck shipped to California where I received it last Wednesday.

On Saturday (in heavy rain) while out running errands, I got back in the truck and got several messages; Service required, AdvanceTrac malfunction, forward collision assist unavailable. The truck was noticeably down on power but still drivable up to highway speeds. After checking this forum and seeing similar messages, I checked the 12V connections. Connections were tight but pulled anyway for a reset. After reconnect, Powertrain Malfunction persists.

My power gauge in instrument cluster does not show a decreased limit as others have shown. The orange wrench illuminates on each start. It seems I'm not in complete limp mode so hopefully it makes it to the dealer.

I've been a longtime reader on this forum and it's quite disappointing for this to be my first post. I've barely driven the truck 100 miles while under my ownership. Fortunately, my old truck is not yet sold. Guess I'll hold on to it for a little longer.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Temix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting Lariat

Quick background:

Did you get any update from the dealer?

OP
OP

LightningEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER, Rapid Red
Update...

I was able to drive truck to local dealer/service on Monday, Dec. 12. I called every day to get an update but nothing was found until Saturday, Dec. 17. They believe the issue is the accelerator pedal assembly and would need to order a new one. Not sure if the part was ordered on Sat or the following Monday. When I called to check in on Monday (12/19) they said the part was ordered and is on the way but it would likely take 6 days to get here! I guess they use the pony express? Since there is a holiday this weekend, the part won't be received/installed until the following week!

On the bright side, they said the truck is driving normally now. Also, the multiple warnings that have been showing up on my Ford Pass App are now gone. Now just hoping for a Christmas miracle that the part will arrive early.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat

Quick background:

@LightningEV Did you have the “High-voltage Battery Warning” too or just the powertrain warning? Looking for potential suggestions as mine went in with both.

Sponsored
OP
OP

LightningEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER, Rapid Red
I did not have a High Voltage Battery Warning.
In addition to Powertrain Malfunction, I also had "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available" and "Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning"

While replacing the accelerator pedal assembly, the mechanic noticed that the connector for braking system was melted. More parts need to be ordered, some on backorder. They are estimating another 2 weeks. 😢

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I did not have a High Voltage Battery Warning.
In addition to Powertrain Malfunction, I also had "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available" and "Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning"

While replacing the accelerator pedal assembly, the mechanic noticed that the connector for braking system was melted. More parts need to be ordered, some on backorder. They are estimating another 2 weeks. 😢
Well I guess I can’t complain too much. Just frustrating not being able to get any kind of parts delivery estimate. I hope you get your truck back soon!

OP
OP

LightningEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER, Rapid Red
Truck has been in for repair for just about a month, since Dec 12. Probably a good thing that I only had it for 3 days because I barely remember what it was like to drive!
I was out of town for the past week and was hopeful that I might have good news on my return. Unfortunately not. Although the part (wiring harness) has been received, they cant start on it until end of the week. Also, since the repair means complete removal of the dash 😔 it will take a few days to complete. They are hopeful for completion by end of next week.

As for communication from the servicing dealer and Ford, it's hit and miss. The reply to this post from Ford and ensuing conversation with them starts the case with BEV team. I did call after the phone number was posted in another thread. They (Ford) called the dealer to find out what was going on and get parts expedited. However, I've heard nothing from them since.
The dealer only calls when they have something new to report. Whenever I call them they seem to give the standard answers for service and say they're doing what they can. Fortunately, my issues have not (yet) been with the HVB so the parts were available. The one part that was backordered was expedited and delivered. I guess I'm just waiting for the labor of completing the task.

Robo165

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 lightning 2022
Occupation
Retired
Day 18 for me. I asked the dealer if they were gonna make my truck and Sirius XM payment since they’ll have my truck for two months waiting on parts. They laughed and said we don’t even have the tools to repair it. We are gonna borrow some from another dealership!🤬🤬

Sponsored

Beezelbubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
150-Lightning XLT SR
Day 18 for me. I asked the dealer if they were gonna make my truck and Sirius XM payment since they’ll have my truck for two months waiting on parts. They laughed and said we don’t even have the tools to repair it. We are gonna borrow some from another dealership!🤬🤬
Call Ford, open a case. They will accommodate you

Robo165

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 lightning 2022
Occupation
Retired
Day 20 and I opened a case with Ford Customer care after day 3 or 4. So far they’ve emailed the dealership and not any help at all. I’ve emailed the customer care rep assigned to my case and no response for several days. No loaner car even though I was told I could possibly get one free for 10 days. Parts on backorder and no tools at the dealership to make the repair🤬🤬

OP
OP

LightningEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER, Rapid Red
Wanted to close out this thread and let everyone know the resolution...

Despite the servicing dealer, Walnut Creek Ford, receiving the parts in January, the repairs were not finished until March 24. Yes, that was 102 days in the shop. I know the truck sat for about 2 weeks with no activity after receiving the parts. But it finally went into the work bay around January 24 where it remained until completion in March.

The wiring harness that was replaced was quite extensive and the repair required removing pretty much everything from the frunk, dash and also front seats/console. I checked in on the repair process regularly and also saw the truck when everything was removed. It looked like open heart surgery where everything that was supposed to be inside, was now outside.

At the beginning of February, after the truck was in the shop for well over 30 days, I started a lemon law buyback case. The process was quite simple but did take about 2 months to complete. As stated above, I got the truck back on March 24. I drove it for about 5 days and then one morning while pulling out of the garage, I got a powertrain malfunction/reduced power message. The power was limited to 56%. Fortunately, the error cleared on its own by the next day. However, at that point I knew I was absolutely done with the truck.

The next day I received notice that Ford would buy back the truck. The buyback was for 100% of the purchase price, including registration fees and some other minor fees paid. Of course there was the usage depreciation for the 331 miles that I put on the truck. Yes, that's it, 331 miles. When the check was finally ready and delivered to the dealer, I turned in the truck on April 19. Good riddance!

Recap:
May 28, 75mi: Lightning delivered to dealer as demo unit.
Nov. 21, ~3200mi: see and drive the truck for first time, complete purchase
Dec. 7, ~3400mi: delivered to California
Dec. 10, 3490mi: Powertrain Malfunction
Dec 12, 3508mi: In for service
Feb. 6: Lemon Law buyback started
March 24, 3590mi: Out from service
March 30: Powertrain Malfunction
March 31: Buyback settlement reached
April 19: Turn in Lightning

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Wanted to close out this thread and let everyone know the resolution...

Despite the servicing dealer, Walnut Creek Ford, receiving the parts in January, the repairs were not finished until March 24. Yes, that was 102 days in the shop. I know the truck sat for about 2 weeks with no activity after receiving the parts. But it finally went into the work bay around January 24 where it remained until completion in March.

The wiring harness that was replaced was quite extensive and the repair required removing pretty much everything from the frunk, dash and also front seats/console. I checked in on the repair process regularly and also saw the truck when everything was removed. It looked like open heart surgery where everything that was supposed to be inside, was now outside.

At the beginning of February, after the truck was in the shop for well over 30 days, I started a lemon law buyback case. The process was quite simple but did take about 2 months to complete. As stated above, I got the truck back on March 24. I drove it for about 5 days and then one morning while pulling out of the garage, I got a powertrain malfunction/reduced power message. The power was limited to 56%. Fortunately, the error cleared on its own by the next day. However, at that point I knew I was absolutely done with the truck.

The next day I received notice that Ford would buy back the truck. The buyback was for 100% of the purchase price, including registration fees and some other minor fees paid. Of course there was the usage depreciation for the 331 miles that I put on the truck. Yes, that's it, 331 miles. When the check was finally ready and delivered to the dealer, I turned in the truck on April 19. Good riddance!

Recap:
May 28, 75mi: Lightning delivered to dealer as demo unit.
Nov. 21, ~3200mi: see and drive the truck for first time, complete purchase
Dec. 7, ~3400mi: delivered to California
Dec. 10, 3490mi: Powertrain Malfunction
Dec 12, 3508mi: In for service
Feb. 6: Lemon Law buyback started
March 24, 3590mi: Out from service
March 30: Powertrain Malfunction
March 31: Buyback settlement reached
April 19: Turn in Lightning
Bummer. Thanks for the closing update.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Wonder how long it will take them to fix it a second time and sell it to someone else.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.