• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Sorry - they are bundling the charger with the higher end models but realize some people may already have car chargers installed. They'd like to give these people more free kW (Included with the Ford Pass) to make up for the fact they are not receiving a charger.
That would be kWh. Thank you so much for getting all of our questions answered, I really appreciate it!
Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I asked the definition of payload and was told it included the bed, frunk and passenger space.
Those are the structural parts of the car and are in no way "payload" so probably some misunderstanding.

> Range - 300 miles with 1000 lb payload

Payload is additional weight of cargo and occupants. Need some clarification from Ford as adding 15% to the vehicles testing weight would have a large effect.

Skeighle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 tacoma, 2013 crv, lightning preorder
Those are the structural parts of the car and are in no way "payload" so probably some misunderstanding.

Payload is additional weight of cargo and occupants. Need some clarification from Ford as adding 15% to the vehicles testing weight would have a large effect.

Pretty sure he means weight carried in those areas, not the weight of those parts if the vehicle. So 1000 lbs could easily be a family of 4 with a carseat and some bags for the weekend.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Pretty sure he means weight carried in those areas, not the weight of those parts if the vehicle.
His answer to you is confusing. It either has 1,000# over curb weight or not. Going to assume it does not since his answer as posted is part of curb weight not cargo weight.

Since EPA tests are on a dyno, the weight has to be added to the dyno's resistance so did Ford use the 6,800# listed curb weight in or did it plug in 7,800#.

It's a very yes/no black/white answer and Ford was being evasive with the answer they gave.

Thanks for posting all the answers and pics. Great stuff.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Pretty sure he means weight carried in those areas, not the weight of those parts if the vehicle. So 1000 lbs could easily be a family of 4 with a carseat and some bags for the weekend.
That is exactly correct, payload has always been measured that way. Your example is spot on with most people. I'm not a huge man by any means at 6' 200lb but you put 3 others like me in the truck and bam, you're already at 800lbs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
F150_Xpress

F150_Xpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Sprinter,R1250 GSA, Husky TPI, KTM 790
That is exactly correct, payload has always been measured that way. Your example is spot on with most people. I'm not a huge man by any means at 6' 200lb but you put 3 others like me in the truck and bam, you're already at 800lbs.
Exactly

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
If the Standard battery can give 300 miles of range in this scenario, that is much higher than 230 miles which is the official published spec. Most of my driving is less than 1000 lbs payload.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
I was torn between the ER and SR battery for one reason and it had nothing do with range, (my commute is 3.4 miles round trip).

Has everything to do with power, the SR battery provides 426 hp, ER battery 563hp. I'm powermad ohh ohh ohh (best Tim the tool man Taylor grunt) :cool:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I was torn between the ER and SR battery for one reason and it had nothing do with range, (my commute is 3.4 miles round trip).

Has everything to do with power, the SR battery provides 426 hp, ER battery 563hp. I'm powermad ohh ohh ohh (best Tim the tool man Taylor grunt) :cool:
I feel the same. That is about the same power boost a supercharger setup would get you on the 5.0 (though you can go higher) for about the same cost to get one. Think of it as a factory supercharger option that makes road trips easier!

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

Exactly!

Same reason I want electric, its fast. Freaky fast. 200 mile range is plenty for me and I dont "need" a truck but I want 4.5 second 0-60 time.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB

It seems pretty clear. The range estimates included 1000lbs of payload. That could be passengers, weight in the bed, or weight in the front trunk. Not sure what is confusing, where the payload is shouldn’t have any major bearing on the range, just the amount, and they did it assuming 1000lbs.

Last edited:

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
I am pretty confident we are talking about 300 miles estimate with 1,000 lbs of payload (combo of people or stuff) with the Extended range battery and the same factor was utilized to estimate 230 range on the standard range model.

That is unless you can show me Ford is now touting a higher range than at launch…which I have not seen anywhere.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Not sure what confusing, there the payload is shouldn’t have any major bearing on the range, just the amount, snd they did it assuming 1000lbs.
Weight is the single biggest factor in range/mpg until on is going over 50 mph then wind resistance is more but the weight is always the baseline.

As far as Ford including 1,000# of payload or not, it will be on the EPA test showing the vehicle weight as tested as either the curb weight of 6,800 or a revised weight of 7,800.

Certainly hope they did make the weight the 7,800 as that would include the 500# tongue weight for my boat trailer and half the weight of the 1,100# short bed camper I'm planning to put on it.
Sponsored