• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any future Lightning buyers swaying purchase due to changes in tax credit coming up next month ? Under $80K MSRP only

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Next week, Dept of Treasury (IRS) is going to rule on the battery sourcing / minerals / assembly.

Based on other forum members' interpretations that Ford EVs may end up with half tax credit ($3750).

Does this news sway anyone from completing their purchase after the IRS makes that ruling ?

What would you do if the ruling makes the battery ineligible for the tax credit all together ?

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...-battery-sourcing-rules-next-week-2023-03-22/

This only applies to Lightning & MME purchases under $80K MSRP.

So please be kind and not go off track with "my Platinum or ER Lariat does not get any credit".....
Sponsored

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Volt, F150 Lightning Pro
Doesn't sway my decision, but I'm salty that I won't get the full credit because my truck was wrapped up in the bad battery nonsense. Sucks that a truck I should have completed my purchase of several months ago is going to cost me $3750 more because Ford chose a battery manufacturer that doesn't know how to correctly manufacture batteries that don't light on fire when charged. Seems like an important step in producing EVs to have a bulletproof battery pack supplier.

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
I can tell you I won't be very happy when this gets cut in half and due to an issue with FORD/SK, I lose out on half the credit and more than likely Ford will do nothing to make it right for us. Not sure its enough to sway me from not going through with the buy because I need a truck, and any gas powered truck with similar features is the same price if not more.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Banking on a tax credit is like banking on overtime for your salary. Until the deal closes on your purchase you're at the whims of the market.

If I had a tax credit available and it got cut in half or even cancelled it wouldn't effect my decision, still would have bought it.

In fact, because of price increases and they way ford packaged their models in 2023 I had to pay quite a bit more than i initially wanted to. Of course I had a limit to what I'd pay for one, but you have to understand that this is a luxury vehicle.

But if you're having second thoughts, by all means, use it as an excuse to bail.

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I was fortunate enough to have received my MY22 Lariat ER back in September which included the original pricing, the $7500 Federal tax credit and a $7500 state rebate. If I had to pay the new MSRP and got half the federal tax credit, I'd likely look elsewhere. Spending 80k makes no sense, but I was able to justify the purchase after incentives at 65k which is the cost of a comparable ICE truck.

Sponsored

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
Anyone know when the reduced tax credit would take affect? Would it be next week when they release guidance? Is there any other delay that could stretch that out a bit longer?

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
It wouldn't make any difference to me whether the rebate is $7500 or $750. I don't have enough tax liability to take advantage of it. Ford sent me my $7500 rebate form for 2023 but it isn't worth anything towards my tax situation.

MannyG20

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Bronco, ‘11 F-150
Doesn't sway my decision, but I'm salty that I won't get the full credit because my truck was wrapped up in the bad battery nonsense. Sucks that a truck I should have completed my purchase of several months ago is going to cost me $3750 more because Ford chose a battery manufacturer that doesn't know how to correctly manufacture batteries that don't light on fire when charged. Seems like an important step in producing EVs to have a bulletproof battery pack supplier.
I don’t know if any EV manufacturer that has a’ bullet proof’ battery pack. Right now it’s the nature of the beast.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Swaying a little. There's a 2023 Pro for sale near me (like actually for sale; saw it with my own eyes) for $55K. But it doesn't have the features I wanted that I have with my stuck-in-transit XLT order. I've talked myself out of putting in an offer on it probably 3 times now. 🤪

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Swaying a little. There's a 2023 Pro for sale near me (like actually for sale; saw it with my own eyes) for $55K. But it doesn't have the features I wanted that I have with my stuck-in-transit XLT order. I've talked myself out of putting in an offer on it probably 3 times now. 🤪
What features are missing on the Pro vs XLT that would sway you?

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Getting the full tax credit motivated me to buy in December rather than January. There's still a week left to scour the internet for a truck on a lot somewhere and still get the full tax credit (your tax situation may vary). If I were in the market I'd spend some time calling dealers. My 2¢...

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What features are missing on the Pro vs XLT that would sway you?
I didn't really like the heavy duty front cloth seats -- it was an abandoned fleet order that comes with the SSV package. So a pretty rare configuration I think even though it's standard range. Anyway, they felt kind of cheap? But with the price difference I could easily swap them out. Rear vinyl black seating was pretty cool though.

There isn't a lot from this particular Pro that is different from my 311A XLT order. Even comes with a tow package so it includes the 360 camera and such. My big gripe is that it doesn't come with the 9.6KW pro onboard power and I don't think that's an option I can retroactively add later.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I didn't really like the heavy duty front cloth seats -- it was an abandoned fleet order that comes with the SSV package. So a pretty rare configuration I think even though it's standard range. Anyway, they felt kind of cheap? But with the price difference I could easily swap them out. Rear vinyl black seating was pretty cool though.

There isn't a lot from this particular Pro that is different from my 311A XLT order. Even comes with a tow package so it includes the 360 camera and such. My big gripe is that it doesn't come with the 9.6KW pro onboard power and I don't think that's an option I can retroactively add later.
Damn that's insane a Pro with the SSV package. Do have any pictures of it?

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Damn that's insane a Pro with the SSV package. Do have any pictures of it?
Just the exterior and it's not a great shot. Doesn't look any different from a regular pro on the outside. Inside it's also just a regular pro, but with black seats. Vinyl in the back and cloth in the front.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Anyone know when the reduced tax credit would take affect? Would it be next week when they release guidance? Is there any other delay that could stretch that out a bit longer?
That's a good question.
Most likely as soon as the DOT/IRS makes the ruling public.

Would be interesting since folks here have said "half credit".

But this might be of concern if we get any credit at all:

1. Critical Minerals - $3750 - this requires that the critical minerals are extracted or processed, in the US or a country that the US has a free trade agreement. Or recycled in North America. This a question mark that no one knows.

2. Battery Components at least 50% in North America - $3750 - This requires the battery to be assembled or manufactured in North America.
Sponsored