• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any future Lightning buyers swaying purchase due to changes in tax credit coming up next month ? Under $80K MSRP only

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I don’t know if any EV manufacturer that has a’ bullet proof’ battery pack. Right now it’s the nature of the beast.
There will never be bullet proof, but after manufacturing millions with little to no problems in recent years you want to continue to turn your head to the leader?
Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Just the exterior and it's not a great shot. Doesn't look any different from a regular pro on the outside. Inside it's also just a regular pro, but with black seats. Vinyl in the back and cloth in the front.
And it is a standard range battery? I thought for sure most fleet Pros would be extended range

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Banking on a tax credit is like banking on overtime for your salary. Until the deal closes on your purchase you're at the whims of the market.

If I had a tax credit available and it got cut in half or even cancelled it wouldn't effect my decision, still would have bought it.

In fact, because of price increases and they way ford packaged their models in 2023 I had to pay quite a bit more than i initially wanted to. Of course I had a limit to what I'd pay for one, but you have to understand that this is a luxury vehicle.

But if you're having second thoughts, by all means, use it as an excuse to bail.
If you pay over $7500 (plus under income caps 150k single/350k married) in Fed income tax for 2023 you will get credit. Check your W2 to see your progress. If you anticipate being short, create more taxable income by selling stocks or doing a Roth conversion. Complete the sale of the truck prior to it reaching the dealership to lock in credit before the end of this month. It’s not that difficult and no luck is required. You have to know your tax liability and do some planning.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’m not sure it’s fair to blame Ford delays for the unfair aspects of the EV Tax Credit.
If EV adoption is the goal, then why does it matter who buys them? (aka income limits)
Why does it matter what the price of the EV is? (the are plenty of ICE choices above $80k, why shouldn’t we incentivize those buyers to go electric also?)
The federal EV Tax Credit legislation, with its nebulous, confusing and even punitive guidelines, is more of an attack on the market than a boost.

Sponsored

MannyG20

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Bronco, ‘11 F-150
There will never be bullet proof, but after manufacturing millions with little to no problems in recent years you want to continue to turn your head to the leader?
I am assuming you are referring to Tesla as the ‘leader’?
I will freely and wholeheartedly agree that Tesla is not only the leader in EV batteries but that they are the de facto leader in battery technology across all industries. Tesla is at the top and everyone else is scrambling to catch up.
my original post was not meant to compare Ford toTesla but to simply try to be realistic about where Ford (and Chevy and GM and Hyundai and all other car makers) are with battery technology.
when I say ‘it's the nature of the beast’ I am referring to the fact that lithium batteries catch fire. That is a simple fact. Tesla’s still can catch fire in a catastrophic crash - there’s no getting around that. What Ford and the other car makers need to get to is for their cars not to catch fire sitting in your driveway -Tesla has at least seem to have gotten that part down.

Reactions: GDN

nocones17

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning
The tax changes persuaded me to change my purchase. I had a 23 ER Lariat on order but it got held up at the train yard during the battery hold. Then I got impatient and started looking around. I found a 22 SR Lariat and after running the numbers, I realized I would save about $30k at the end of the day (cost savings of SR vs ER battery, pre price increase, full tax rebate versus none, less sales tax, etc). I decided for that amount of $$ I could make due with the standard range battery. The plus side is I got a heated steering wheel. I'm also glad that I don't have the moon roof due to the amount of head room lost. I'm tall, 6'5" and my son is 6'2" and neither of us could fit in the back seat with the moon roof due to lack of head room.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The tax changes persuaded me to change my purchase. I had a 23 ER Lariat on order but it got held up at the train yard during the battery hold. Then I got impatient and started looking around. I found a 22 SR Lariat and after running the numbers, I realized I would save about $30k at the end of the day (cost savings of SR vs ER battery, pre price increase, full tax rebate versus none, less sales tax, etc). I decided for that amount of $$ I could make due with the standard range battery. The plus side is I got a heated steering wheel. I'm also glad that I don't have the moon roof due to the amount of head room lost. I'm tall, 6'5" and my son is 6'2" and neither of us could fit in the back seat with the moon roof due to lack of head room.
Good choice!

I love my '22 SR Lariat base - has been over the 8 months + 8000 miles later - the perfect, zero issue, no repair, never seen service dept Lightning.

Got my $7500 refunded last month plus the 30% EVSE installation coupled with the state rebates netting $11,000 dropping the price from $69K to $58K.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I am still on the fence. My original spec with a Lariat ER below 80k. Then Ford increased the prices> Once it came time to order, I opted for the SR version. Only downside is the drastically reduced towing capacity (I wanted BlueCruise over a Towing package). Now I am a few hundred shy of the 80k mark. And I am still debating. It is a lot of money for a car, more than I have ever spent.
Given that I do not have a production date yes, I am expecting to only get half the tax credit.
For a while I was hoping Ford would put out some incentive to counteract the loss of tax credit due to the battery minerals but given their losses last year, I doubt it.

I am also looking at local dealer inventory to see if anything pops up. They now ave inventory and I am hoping they drop the markup soon, some trucks have been on their lots for months.

Overall... I am torn between cancelling the order or give up on the tax credit and get a truck now... Or maybe wait.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
...... I am expecting to only get half the tax credit.
For a while I was hoping Ford would put out some incentive to counteract the loss of tax credit due to the battery minerals but given their losses last year, I doubt it.

I am also looking at local dealer inventory to see if anything pops up. They now ave inventory and I am hoping they drop the markup soon, some trucks have been on their lots for months.

Overall... I am torn between cancelling the order or give up on the tax credit and get a truck now... Or maybe wait.
You would hope that Ford offers some relief for those that have their order arriving after the IRS makes the battery tax ruling.

If you can find one on the lot at MSRP new, I'd get that since there are no advantages with price protection if you ordered a '23.

Keep the original order and see what happens - it's only $600 tied up.

On a similar note, I have my second Ford EV on order: Mustang Mach E and it's been 1 year since ordering and the only reason I am waiting is the price protection (low APR, $2K incentive, '22 pricing) and will see when it arrives and what the tax credit (likely half) will be....

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired