• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anybody else notice the slight "Click" when starting off either in forward or reverse?

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Ahhh..okay...just checking.

The Mach-E forum has seen a lot of posts where the member went in for a front axle halfshaft replacement due to the noise on tight turns.......and then had to go back two weeks later to have the other side done cause the car was still making noise. You'd think they would have checked both sides on the first visit.
Nah it was a good question. And yikes you’d think they would have checked.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
How’d the repair go for you?
The truck is completely silent now. Maybe once or twice I heard some small noise just before the truck completely stopped while coming to a stop at a traffic light but other than that it was totally quiet. No more clicks or pings at every "torque reversal" as the TSB says....I'm going to go out with the torque wrench this morning and check the lug nuts.....(as you do) ;) ...trust but verify.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anybody else notice the slight "Click" when starting off either in forward or reverse? Lightning_lugnut_torque

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Ahhh..okay...just checking.

The Mach-E forum has seen a lot of posts where the member went in for a front axle halfshaft replacement due to the noise on tight turns.......and then had to go back two weeks later to have the other side done cause the car was still making noise. You'd think they would have checked both sides on the first visit.
That and the TSB states to do all four!

JC688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Honda Odyssey, BMW M3, Porsche GT3, 911…..
Does the clicking sound cause any mechanical wear? I can hear it on mine but not at every torque reversal.

Sponsored

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Does the clicking sound cause any mechanical wear? I can hear it on mine but not at every torque reversal.
Unsure. It didn’t seem like an urgent fix was needed. And in my research, this is actually very common with EVs, even Tesla. My guess is that most people just continue to drive with it and don’t worry about the annoyance.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Put it this way. Ford decided to engineer a solution and pay mechanics to install it.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Put it this way. Ford decided to engineer a solution and pay mechanics to install it.
Because people were complaining and going in for service and having unnecessary parts replaced resulting in more expense. There is no durability concern

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Because people were complaining and going in for service and having unnecessary parts replaced resulting in more expense. There is no durability concern
Win-win in my view.

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Exactly this. Saw a number of people go in for “fixes” that weren’t close to what the actual solve was.

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
How many times does that unlubricated sliding metal against metal event happen in 100,000 miles? (Those wheels each rotate 61,000,000 times.)

I vote to follow the Ford recommended (& paid for) solution now.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly this. Saw a number of people go in for “fixes” that weren’t close to what the actual solve was.
Okay..but as @Gimme_my_MME reiterated several times on this thread in response to people going in for a fix before the TSB was released......wait for the TSB!

Now the TSB is out, parts are in the depots, and trucks are getting the noise(s) fixed.

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Okay..but as @Gimme_my_MME reiterated several times on this thread in response to people going in for a fix before the TSB was released......wait for the TSB!

Now the TSB is out, parts are in the depots, and trucks are getting the noise(s) fixed.
I think we are saying the same thing here 😂

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Can anyone here who didn't have the noise, but instead experienced what felt like "play" within the drivetrain during torque reversals report on whether the TSB fixed that issue? Or did it only address those with a noise issue?

Reactions: GDN

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Can anyone here who didn't have the noise, but instead experienced what felt like "play" within the drivetrain during torque reversals report on whether the TSB fixed that issue? Or did it only address those with a noise issue?
Noise only, in my experience.
Sponsored