• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone else hate the charge port doors?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Worse than any gas filler cover on any vehicle I have ever owned.

By combining the badging on the door, they got too cute.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
It is certainly a low quality option for a high dollar ‘electric’ vehicle. Seems most every other BEV model out there has a motorized door that matches the high tech standard of these vehicles. 🙁

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
I'm indifferent about the door. I prefer to avoid motors whenever something can be done manually without too much effort. Motors inevitably die and are more expensive to replace. I guess they were trying to "hide" the charge port..... which is ironic with the front light bar screaming I'm a crazy new electric vehicle.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
every vehicle I've owned has some slight annoyance with the gas port door, or the charge port door, no matter what make or model, but hardly something to 'complain' out loud about... some people just can't get out of their own way about having to complain about something, or, maybe, everything...

I find mine neither 'cheap', or less-than-functional for what it is - it is simply a door to cover the charge port outlet. It does not have to support any weight. It does not need to be 'beefy' for any great reason. It's just a door. I'm glad, too, it does not have a 'motor' to open it. Just one more thing for people to complain about... oh well.

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
My wife's BMW's (X5 PHEV) charge port door is maybe 25% less flimsy than the Lightning, and has a similar "feel" - where you are kinda unsure if you've engaged the latch or not.

However, a few months back I had a brain fart and forgot to close the port door on her car and backed out of the garage. The edge of the garage door ripped the entire charge door and frame assembly off the car - it ended up just hanging there by a few wires. I expected a thousand $ or more in repair bills - but sure enough the assembly just snapped back in like it never happened.

So maybe just maybe there is a silver lining here - the flimsy-ness is "by design" - such that it fails without damaging other components?

Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Love my Lightning and wife's Mach E, but I think the charge port doors feel cheap.
I think I have closed it (not every time) and get the message that it is not closed...so out i get and close it.
Had a Tesla but I do like these vehicles better, Elon had the charge port door figured out properly.
Ok, all the whining I will do lol
Getting my charge port door to close or open is a real pain. Sometimes, no matter how hard I push on the door it won't open. I have to hit it with the side of my fist. Same thing with closing it, but not quite as bad.
I've tried pressing in several areas on the door but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I have both sides of this issue. I am 7 months in, opening is usually ok, not 100%, but closing I have to make sure I push in 1 specific location at a very specific angle...Definitely room for improvement
Same here. I'm always worried about breaking the latch.

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
I'm not crazy about the little flip-down door that covers the DC charging pins. It feels flimsy and I don't think it will last long. And since I charge at home with the FCSP, I always have to flip it down.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm not crazy about the little flip-down door that covers the DC charging pins. It feels flimsy and I don't think it will last long. And since I charge at home with the FCSP, I always have to flip it down.
I've charged my truck almost every day since I picked it up in October 2022. No problems with the flip down door.
Sponsored